g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I know what you mean, but I think the club should settle the matter asap, either he signs a new deal or we tell him this your last year with us and you may leave on a free next summer, Pogba being relaxed has nothing to do with the club hierarchy planning for the squad, and Ole is good at managing the dressing room and separating the business from football, all the players respect and like Ole, so Pogba cant cause issues and by all accounts, Pogba is never an issue in the dressing room and I don't think he will cause issues even if he is benched or told that a new contract won't be offered.
Maybe, it's up to the manager to handle those things and in this domain I trust Ole completely. However, even as one of Pogba's biggest critics, I also understand (if he stays) he will be needed for the team success this season, so we need to stay in some kind of healthy relations. Which is why I don't think any drastic measures will be taken by the club.

Hughes35

Pogba is going nowhere whilst under contract, purely based on he fact that nobody can afford him.

Rolaholic

Pogba is too 'loud' for Real Madrid. Look at the profile of the other players at Madrid - they may not be the best but they keep their heads down and put in the work. Anyone who becomes flashy is shown the door. I'm not sure how much it'd hurt Pogba to lose to Atletico/Barca on the last day of the season. In the last 5 minutes of a game, I can't see him stretching out his legs in desperate fashion, trying to score a goal to convert a loss into a draw. After the joy of watching Hazard, Bale, Isco and Jovic in the last couple of years, can we afford another such player?

Pogba's connection was with Zidane and not the other management.
Hilariously ironic to say when the club is run by someone like Florentino Perez :lol:

::sonny::

Seems confirmed he will go as a free agent, that was evident since 3 yrs ago for all, apart United :houllier:

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Never should have let him get down to his last season, should have sold him long ago.

rotherham_red

Seems confirmed he will go as a free agent, that was evident since 3 yrs ago for all, apart United :houllier:
Tbh utd have been planning for his departure since 2019/20. We bought Bruno to replace him as the 10. We bought Donny as an alternative in the 8/10 and we then moved him into a wide creator role and that has now been covered by Sancho. Pogba isn't an essential part of this team now. He'll be played wherever he is needed this year rather than being the main man.

We also discretely had him for sale last summer but Juve didn't follow through. Likewise he was available for the right price this summer too but nobody coughed up. In both instances, I feel COVID has impacted our chances of selling him and we're now in the spot we're in.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Tbh utd have been planning for his departure since 2019/20. We bought Bruno to replace him as the 10. We bought Donny as an alternative in the 8/10 and we then moved him into a wide creator role and that has now been covered by Sancho. Pogba isn't an essential part of this team now. He'll be played wherever he is needed this year rather than being the main man.

We also discretely had him for sale last summer but Juve didn't follow through. Likewise he was available for the right price this summer too but nobody coughed up. In both instances, I feel COVID has impacted our chances of selling him and we're now in the spot we're in.
Exactly this. We've been preparing for Pogba departure for a while. I thought Sancho is the final piece and we will try to get a CM in Pogba place, but it doesn't seem many clubs are seriously interested this summer. Blaming the club for current situation with Pogba is just daft.

rotherham_red

Exactly this. We've been preparing for Pogba departure for a while. I thought Sancho is the final piece and we will try to get a CM in Pogba place, but it doesn't seem many clubs are seriously interested this summer. Blaming the club for current situation with Pogba is just daft.
Exactly. Pogba's camp haven't exactly been coy in their remonstrations over his association with Utd. It would be absolutely foolish to think Utd aren't making those contingencies.

Tbh this summer has given me some pause for thought re Pogba. Before Messi went to PSG I thought it was nailed on he'd go on a free, but now that he's there, I'm not seeing any obvious place for him. Juve are broke. PSG need a Kante more than a Pogba and want Camavinga in any case. Real aren't enamoured by him. Barca are obviously a no go.

I honestly think now, that we're going to see him sign a new contract here, just as De Gea did in 2019.

Loon

:lol:
Hopefully he'll turn in more shop window performances this season to get some takers in the summer.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
There are many quality FIFA managers here. I am sure their 20/20 hindsight vision would have done better if they were in United's management team.

Red00012

If he doesn’t perform I can see fans turning on him (inside OT)
Never mind this place :lol:

The United

And, I would say covid 19 ruined the plan for both the club and the player. He could have been gone last summer if not for it.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Exactly. Pogba's camp haven't exactly been coy in their remonstrations over his association with Utd. It would be absolutely foolish to think Utd aren't making those contingencies.

Tbh this summer has given me some pause for thought re Pogba. Before Messi went to PSG I thought it was nailed on he'd go on a free, but now that he's there, I'm not seeing any obvious place for him. Juve are broke. PSG need a Kante more than a Pogba and want Camavinga in any case. Real aren't enamoured by him. Barca are obviously a no go.

I honestly think now, that we're going to see him sign a new contract here, just as De Gea did in 2019.
Are you suggesting Pogba’s playing risky game? One has to wonder, he's not exactly a player that fits any team easily. And then comes the wages demand.

There are many quality FIFA managers here. I am sure their 20/20 hindsight vision would have done better if they were in United's management team.
I think it's rather unconditional love for Pogba that make people find excuses for him, and shit on other midfielders we have.

And, I would say covid 19 ruined the plan for both the club and the player. He could have been gone last summer if not for it.
Yeah looks likely. Now is the perfect timing though (to sell him and get another midfielder in). I literally thought he's already gone when the window started. Seems like PSG is not that determined to get him now, which is sensible move I guess.
The question however is if they will want Pogba on massive wages next summer. At some point they have to start thinking about FFP right?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He‘ll be off to Real next summer on a freebie. It’s his dream and they’ll need a refresh in the middle of the park by then. Once it’s January his agent will be seeking the best deal for him and the circus will ramp up big style.
Interest from Real was all from Zidane. Now that he's gone, it's no surprise their interest in him is gone.

rotherham_red

Are you suggesting Pogba’s playing risky game? One has to wonder, he's not exactly a player that fits any team easily. And then comes the wages demand.

I think it's rather unconditional love for Pogba that make people find excuses for him, and shit on other midfielders we have.

Yeah looks likely. Now is the perfect timing though (to sell him and get another midfielder in). I literally thought he's already gone when the window started. Seems like PSG is not that determined to get him now, which is sensible move I guess.
The question however is if they will want Pogba on massive wages next summer. At some point they have to start thinking about FFP right?
Not so much a risky game, but rather playing the hand that COVID has dealt him.

Cloud7

We will just sign one next season instead.

Pogba/Fred/Mctominay/Matic/DVB is enough for this season.

We will hopefully have Garner and Mejbri challenging for those positions next year, and then sign somebody like Tchouameni.
Goretzka on a free from Bayern next year :drool:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Goretzka on a free from Bayern next year :drool:
Certainly seems like we're laying the ground work in the background doesn't it?

I'm usually suspicious with these sort of reports, but it seems like a lot of players are willing to run their contracts down and move for a bigger signing on fee.

Cloud7

I'm usually suspicious with these sort of reports, but it seems like a lot of players are willing to run their contracts down and move for a bigger signing on fee.
Certainly seems that way. He's probably my number 1 ideal target for that number 8 role in our midfield.

As for players running their contracts down, clubs are pricing them out of moves. Transfer fees are insane, and while people thought Covid would lead to them being lowered since the revenues are lower overall, that's not been the case. Can't blame the players for running their contracts down when clubs are handling things like this. Pay the player what they're worth, be reasonable with the transfer fees, or lose your player for free. That's fair in my opinion.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Yeah - he has been desperate to leave for about 4 years. No idea why some people bury their heads and believe he has been putting his heart into playing for us or may sign a new deal.
His move to madrid never happened and then covid came so he decided to wait it out for a free rather than continue agitating and getting his family / agent to slag the club.
Only way he stays is if none of the big clubs he wants will even take him on a free.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

It does seem like there is a worrying trend emerging among footballers right now. It's why I feel release clauses should be mandatory in all contracts.

It's a no-brainer for me as it protects both the player and the club.

Adam-Utd

It does seem like there is a worrying trend emerging among footballers right now. It's why I feel release clauses should be mandatory in all contracts.

It's a no-brainer for me as it protects both the player and the club.
I think that's just the way football is evolving.

Clubs are becoming so rich now that they can afford to turn down offers unless they're crazy big, it just causes a snowball effect.

I think players will start to move around a lot more frequently, shorter contract terms for bigger payments. Loyalty in football won't be much of a thing in the future IMO.

We see a big free agent market in the likes of the NFL, it won't take long for football to catch up.

As you say release clauses could help bridge the gap, but not sure clubs will be happy with it until they realise it's becoming a common theme.

Redcy

I think we will see a general move of players only signing short term deals (3 years) in the future, players are seeing how difficult it is for players to move, how big transfer fees are restricting moves and how that limits a players options. I suspect that will lead to an inevitable drop in transfer fees, with maybe more early clauses for sales. I have thought this was coming for a while, but it seems gradually that we will see more and more players leave on frees.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The thing about PSG is that its basically a marketing vehicle for Qatar's WC2022. What happens when the WC is over? Will they still pump in as much into the PSG or it is then forced to be a self-sustaining club like the rest of us? Can they then have to carry the wage/load of a Pogba, Messi, Neymar, Mbappe? I am sure there will be a fire sale after the WC.

I am sure PSG has charged Qatar WC committee $1b fr that image rights just to justify Messi's invetsment.

elmo

Helps that he also ran down his contract with Schalke to sign for Bayern, so it's clear he's willing to go for the contract if it suits him.

Adam-Utd

Helps that he also ran down his contract with Schalke to sign for Bayern, so it's clear he's willing to go for the contract if it suits him.
Interesting indeed. I'm sure he'd jump at 200k a week. With his physique he'd be a good fit for England too.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Pogba is too 'loud' for Real Madrid. Look at the profile of the other players at Madrid - they may not be the best but they keep their heads down and put in the work. Anyone who becomes flashy is shown the door. I'm not sure how much it'd hurt Pogba to lose to Atletico/Barca on the last day of the season. In the last 5 minutes of a game, I can't see him stretching out his legs in desperate fashion, trying to score a goal to convert a loss into a draw. After the joy of watching Hazard, Bale, Isco and Jovic in the last couple of years, can we afford another such player?

Pogba's connection was with Zidane and not the other management.
:lol: :lol:.

Too flashy. For Madrid. :lol:

To be fair, they did whistle at Ronaldo and Beckham and ended up treating Bale horrifically so maybe you have a point. Jaysus what an awful club.

MDFC Manager

The thing about PSG is that its basically a marketing vehicle for Qatar's WC2022. What happens when the WC is over? Will they still pump in as much into the PSG or it is then forced to be a self-sustaining club like the rest of us? Can they then have to carry the wage/load of a Pogba, Messi, Neymar, Mbappe? I am sure there will be a fire sale after the WC.

I am sure PSG has charged Qatar WC committee $1b fr that image rights just to justify Messi's invetsment.
The world cup itself is a marketing/sportwashing vehicle. So, of course the investment into PSG will continue. Will probably get even bigger to sustain momentum.

Red_toad

Interest from Real was all from Zidane. Now that he's gone, it's no surprise their interest in him is gone.
On a freebie that'll change, he'll have more than just PSG sniffing around. Plus Modric will be 37 next season and Kroos 32, so they'll be looking for new stars.

lost7

Am I seriously reading that Pogba will struggle to have suitors next year when he's on a free? :lol:

elmo

Am I seriously reading that Pogba will struggle to have suitors next year when he's on a free? :lol:
You realise there's a global pandemic and almost every club is reining in their spendings?

The money of clubs that can afford the wages Pogba is currently on can be counted on one hand, let alone the improved contract he's seeking.

lost7

You realise there's a global pandemic and almost every club is reining in their spendings?

The money of clubs that can afford the wages Pogba is currently on can be counted on one hand, let alone the improved contract he's seeking.
I'm pretty sure he'll get a 400/500k contract next year no matter where he goes. I guess we'll see who's right next year...

Abraxas

I don't think there's any doubt he'll have suitors, whether they'll be keen to offer any more than we are, that's the question. Maybe PSG would be silly enough as it matters little to them, but many clubs have to think seriously when it comes to Pogba and his agent and the associated costs because he doesn't always deliver.