Paul Pogba racially abused on social media

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Nope you just criticise all players the same and don't dramatise, rant and make personal statements about a certain player on a regular basis.
And yet here you are saying that his criticis caused this and that he MUST be a racist because he's white and working class. Which, by the way is racist, judging him on things he has no control over. Three quarters of my family are white and working class and have no racist bones in their bodies and I used to live in minority areas and white areas, and recieved hardly any racism myself as a mixed race person. Funnily enough the worst I got was from a black man who thought i was white and kicked me. In chorlton no less. Racism is a human issue, and to see agenda posters like you take advantage of this and slnder a club legend is disgusting.

mancan92

Except that I explicitly said earlier that I believe Sterling was a victim of racist treatment from certain segments of the media.
Exactly but in their opinion they would they that they were doing their job just like any other player after all look at how much abuse beckham got. But as you mentioned they took it too far. The same way Neville has taken his criticism too far.

Enigma_87

You know who
...Agree and I guess the fine reflects the commitment to stopping it. I'm 100% convinced if Pogba was white, whilst he would be criticised, the nature of it and it's narrative would be different and I guess that's the racist element. We talk about black players with a different point of reference and inference than their white counterparts.
Probably. Although he doesn't make it easy with some of his off field antics, which can drive a lot of hatred.

The issue is of course very broad and the inability of federations to cope with it for such a long time says a lot. Advertising campaigns has proven to be useless.

Unfortunately, whilst you can take actions on the stadium, I just can't see it coping with it on social media where it would be very hard to punish the culprits. Especially when they hide behind fake profiles.

Rolaholic

Nope I'm not having this. Just beyond stupidity. It's not racist to ask for someone to be criticised fairly like his peers. Without personal insults or drama.
The fact that this has been explained repeatedly in this thread yet people still continue claiming that this is what's being said says it all really.

Impossible to have a productive discussion with people who choose to bury their heads in the sand and disingenuously try shifting the conversation in another direction and running with it to disregard and ignore the original point being made.

Fair play to you for all the patience you've been exhibiting in still hearing out all the people misrepresenting your words constantly :lol:

Litch

That's your opinion fair enough and you'll probably say that the media did nothing to enhance or are complicit to the abuse sterling received. After all they were doing is just showing pictures of his tattoo and showing where he went shopping that's their job after all.
Like already said, only those who are part of those oppressed groups fully understand the complexities of it. Amazing how the very perpetrators of feeding the abuse Sterling received somehow pacified it by holding him up as a role model for challenging them for doing it?

mancan92

And yet here you are saying that his criticis caused this and that he MUST be a racist because he's white and working class. Which, by the way is racist, judging him on things he has no control over. Three quarters of my family are white and working class and have no racist bones in their bodies and I used to live in minority areas and white areas, and recieved hardly any racism myself as a mixed race person. Funnily enough the worst I got was from a black man who thought i was white and kicked me. In chorlton no less. Racism is a human issue, and to see agenda posters like you take advantage of this and slnder a club legend is disgusting.
Alright were going to have to agree to disagree.

I never said critics caused or created the issue, I never called him a racist. But hey it seems you will not read my sentences. I can't force you so hey.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
The fact that this has been explained repeatedly in this thread yet people still continue claiming that others are saying that say's it all really.

Impossible to have a productive discussion with people who choose to bury their heads in the sand and disingenuously try shifting the conversation in another direction to disregard and ignore the original point being made.

Fair play to you for all the patience you've been exhibiting in still hearing out all the people misrepresenting your words constantly :lol:
Exactly what we where missing. The lord of all truth and knowledge. That arrives, calls everyone stupid that doesnt agree with him and minimizes all the other opinions. clap clap clap. Talking with you it's like playing chess with a pidgeon. you will arrive, shit on the board and leave flying making noises like you won the match. :D

hobbers

Are people seriously equating Raheem getting stick from the Daily Mail for buying a house or having a shit tattoo to Pogba getting stick from Sky pundits for missing a penalty he should never have been taking?

Lots of heads need wobbling. The criticism directed at Pogba, about his football, and the stuff the press did with Raheem, which was never about his football, are not comparable.

The Mitcher

...Agree and I guess the fine reflects the commitment to stopping it. I'm 100% convinced if Pogba was white, whilst he would be criticised, the nature of it and it's narrative would be different and I guess that's the racist element. We talk about black players with a different point of reference and inference than their white counterparts.
It would be different because no one would report it to nearly the same degree or mock him, if he was white. The people calling Neville or others enabling racism would be saying the exact opposite.

mancan92

why? Because of his skin colour?

For example, people cant criticize Pogba for his hair cuts but can criticize Ronaldo for the same. For what reason?
People cant criticze Pogba for dancing but can, for example, criticize Peter Crouch for dancing? For what reason?
People cant criticize Pogba for failing a penalty or stealing the ball from a player to get a penalty but can criticize Stoichkov from doing the same?

whats the reason that makes pogba personality not be criticized regarding football? How many times have you heard Ronaldo is arrogant and whatever that has nothing to do with football? Why should Pogba be protected?
The fact that you posted this shows the level of ignorance.

If this is where your level of thinking is at then all I can tell you do is read a book or read up on what systemic racism is.

jem

Exactly but in their opinion they would they that they were doing their job just like any other player after all look at how much abuse beckham got. But as you mentioned they took it too far. The same way Neville has taken his criticism too far.
Actually in the case of The Daily Mail and The Sun, I’m sure they knew exactly what they were doing.

The Mitcher

I never said critics caused or created the issue, I never called him a racist. But hey it seems you will not read my sentences. I can't force you so hey.
You literally said Neville and pundits created the atmosphere, quit lying.

Litch

Probably. Although he doesn't make it easy with some of his off field antics, which can drive a lot of hatred.

The issue is of course very broad and the inability of federations to cope with it for such a long time says a lot. Advertising campaigns has proven to be useless.

Unfortunately, whilst you can take actions on the stadium, I just can't see it coping with it on social media where it would be very hard to punish the culprits. Especially when they hide behind fake profiles.
.....and there's my point. Why should what he does 'off field' fuel racial hatred?

jem

Actually in the case of The Daily Mail and The Sun, I’m sure they knew exactly what they were doing.
And I still don’t see how Neville has taken his criticism too far.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
The fact that you posted this shows the level of ignorance.

If this is where your level of thinking is at then all I can tell you do is read a book or read up on what systemic racism is.
Can i say this is racism since some British people think Portuguese are stupid and uncultured? Is that sistemic racism based on the history of our 2 countries? CHECK

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
And they doubled down when they realised the attention it caused.

Tostao_80

but the problem is that it essentially means Neville can’t criticize Pogba’s behaviour in any way, lest he, unwittingly or not, feed the racist troll machine. I hate simplistic, reductive conclusions like that, but it seems to be the only solution you and mancan92 are suggesting.
Reading compression isnt really your forte is it? Some posters on here, like yourself keep trying to conflate. For the umpteenth time, its not about merely criticising (everyone should be criticized). Its strictly about the overt nature of it all. The personalizing of it all. Raheem Sterling wasnt just criticised, it became personal. Paul Pogba wasnt just criticised, it became personal. Is this really hard to grasp? You hate simplicities, yet your way of thinking is just that.

Ban

Didnt you say hatred breeds hatred and Neville might hate Pogba and might be racist cause of his background.

Enigma_87

You know who
Nope I'm not having this. Just beyond stupidity. It's not racist to ask for someone to be criticised fairly like his peers. Without personal insults or drama.
Thing is, mate, Neville would definitely take it personally when it comes to disruptive influence in the dressing room. And if he truly believes that Pogba is one - he can go overboard in his criticism.

Again that opinion doesn't make it a fact and he could be wrong on Pogba, but him getting overboard is much more probable to have something to do with Pogba's actions on and off the pitch and how he influences the dressing room, rather than race, color or upbringing.

Pogba has been controversial figure under Jose and has made it no secret that he wants away. Accumulated with some poor performances he's rightfully at a spot he would get plenty of criticism, especially from past players that obviously care about the club.

That of course doesn't make Neville, or whoever else criticizes him on football related basis, held accountable for every other mentalist that decides to vent his racist slurs out and call out his name..

WireMUFC

White working class background. Where actually most of the outright racist comments that have been shouted at me have come from.
I’m sorry for what’s happened to you.

Can you tell me if a working class black man does something wrong to me, what should I think of other black men from working class backgrounds according to you?

The Mitcher

Didnt you say hatred breeds hatred and Neville might hate Pogba and might be racist cause of his background.
He insinuated that he was. It's it works with his type. They are smart enough to not flat out say he is but use flowery language.
No I said that they are complicit. Read what the word complicit means. It doesn't mean anyone started it or created it. It means they are part of the problem.
Which means they had a hand in creating it. Are you serious?

mancan92

I’m sorry for what’s happened to you.

Can you tell me if a working class black man does something wrong to me, what should I think of other black men from working class backgrounds according to you?
You might have your own opinion just like I have.

But then after you would probably have to understand what systemic racism is. If you did then you would a different thought process to me.

hobbers

Its strictly about the overt nature of it all. The personalizing of it all. Raheem Sterling wasnt just criticised, it became personal. Paul Pogba wasnt just criticised, it became personal. Is this really hard to grasp? .
That's just nonsense. All criticism is personal.

Raheem was criticised for tattoos and family matters and buying houses. Pogba is criticised for not performing to his ability, being a mercenary and being too obsessed with his social media profile.

Not. Comparable.

The Mitcher

But then after you would probably have to understand what systemic racism is. If you did then you would a different thought process to me.
Do YOU even understand it?

mancan92

No I said he might have subconscious bias which might affect his ability to relate to pogba which might be why he has a big problem with him outside of just football.

Hatred breeds hatred yes. What has that got to with what I said?

Enigma_87

You know who
.....and there's my point. Why should what he does 'off field' fuel racial hatred?
He is an easy target. And as seen in this thread - the line between racial hatred and football related criticism is really slim.

He gets exposure and racists can ride the wave using that exposure. That however doesn't make Neville or any other pundit criticizing his game accomplice in any shape or form.

WireMUFC

Well, thanks for clearing that up.

The Mitcher

No I said he might have subconscious bias which might affect his ability to relate to pogba which might be why he has a big problem with him outside of just football.

Hatred breeds hatred yes. What has that got to with what I said?
Insinuating that he is racist because he happens to be a white man of working class origin. Are we sure you aren't projecting your bias onto him?

mancan92

Can i say this is racism since some British people think Portuguese are stupid and uncultured? Is that sistemic racism based on the history of our 2 countries? CHECK
Ignorance does not equal stupity. It just means you talk of an issue you do not quite understand. Again doesn't mean you are stupid. Just that you probably need to gain a bit more knowledge about this specific subject.

The same thing if I was talking about Portuguese culture but I don't really have great understanding.

The Mitcher

Ignorance does not equal stupity. It just means you talk of an issue you do not quite understand. Again doesn't mean you are stupid. Just that you probably need to gain a bit more knowledge about this specific subject.

The same thing if I was talking about Portuguese culture but I don't really have great understanding.
You never even responded to what he said and just called him ignorant. Do you even have a coherent argument?

jem

Reading compression isnt really your forte is it? Some posters on here, like yourself keep trying to conflate. For the umpteenth time, its not about merely criticising (everyone should be criticized). Its strictly about the overt nature of it all. The personalizing of it all. Raheem Sterling wasnt just criticised, it became personal. Paul Pogba wasnt just criticised, it became personal. Is this really hard to grasp? You hate simplicities, yet your way of thinking is just that.
No, I keep asking for concrete examples of Neville’s personal attacks (other than calling Pogba selfish or being upset about the Mourinho firing selfie, neither of which is strong enough to equate to racial incitement/complicity, in my opinion.) But hey, feel free to shoehorn the word ‘conflate’ into your response.

mancan92

He insinuated that he was. It's it works with his type. They are smart enough to not flat out say he is but use flowery language.

Which means they had a hand in creating it. Are you serious?
No because its an ongoing issue. So it means they are part of the problem that continues to persist.

Again complicit means to be involved in an unfair process. Not to start or create it.

Tostao_80

That's just nonsense. All criticism is personal.

Raheem was criticised for tattoos and family matters and buying houses. Pogba is criticised for not performing to his ability, being a mercenary and being too obsessed with his social media profile.

Not. Comparable.
Thats because you just dont get it. Criticism of both crossed into the personal realm. With Raheem, they even resorted to making things up (such as the multiple baby mothers). In both cases, an atmosphere was tormented that enabled people in general to be more free to openly attack the two (some of it racist of course, there is correlation with the two). Personally attacking Pogba (as opposed to just onfield criticisms) emboldens some racists to speak out. This is undeniable.

The Mitcher

No because its an ongoing issue. So it means they are part of the problem that continues to persist.

Again complicit means to be involved in an unfair process. Not to start or create it.
How is he complicit in systemic racism? How is Pogba even a footballer if there is? You literally know nothing about this and you call others ignorant.

Litch

Thing is, mate, Neville would definitely take it personally when it comes to disruptive influence in the dressing room. And if he truly believes that Pogba is one - he can go overboard in his criticism.

Again that opinion doesn't make it a fact and he could be wrong on Pogba, but him getting overboard is much more probable to have something to do with Pogba's actions on and off the pitch and how he influences the dressing room, rather than race, color or upbringing.

Pogba has been controversial figure under Jose and has made it no secret that he wants away. Accumulated with some poor performances he's rightfully at a spot he would get plenty of criticism, especially from past players that obviously care about the club.

That of course doesn't make Neville, or whoever else criticizes him on football related basis, held accountable for every other mentalist that decides to vent his racist slurs out and call out his name..
It's difficult taking about Black players and separating the issue of race cause it's always a factor to different degrees. The legacy and footprint of historical racism in football is very much still alive and sometimes it's hard to differentiate what's people's agenda. You might be right about Gary's agenda but only he will know if it's fuelled by having racist views.

Last edited:

mancan92

Do YOU even understand it?
Yeah you probably don't even to ask me that clearly. If you really want I can setup a call and we can have a discussion around Windrush with my grandma who was tricked into coming here 40 years ago and sent back to the carribean with no pension at 75 years old.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
Again, for some reason, you assume i dont read and am uncultured just because i dont agree with you. So, what you are saying is, that you are superior in terms of opinion to me because i am ignorant and not someone with a critical way of thinking diferent from yours.

Again, since there are racists in the UK against portuguese i could say that, subcounsciesly, you are racist because of systemic racism. is that correct?[/QUOTE]