Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

OrcaFat

Strange he was vital in getting us to the EL final then. That's only something that happened a few months ago and you seem to have forgotten.
He played okay. He can play better and has done many times. He has also played worse many times.

But I’m an optimist and I hope he re-signs and plays well. I’d prefer to see him in the AM positions in our 4231 and nowhere else. Don’t mind him dropping deeper to get on the ball but I don’t want to see him as one of the two in CM any more. I want him mainly in the attacking third; he should be able to get 10 league goals and a few assists from there. If he knows what his role is going to be it will help him play better more of the time.

theklr

He played okay. He can play better and has done many times. He has also played worse many times.

But I’m an optimist and I hope he re-signs and plays well. I’d prefer to see him in the AM positions in our 4231 and nowhere else. Don’t mind him dropping deeper to get on the ball but I don’t want to see him as one of the two in CM any more. I want him mainly in the attacking third; he should be able to get 10 league goals and a few assists from there. If he knows what his role is going to be it will help him play better more of the time.
Works ok on the left of the forward three as well

sp_107

He is still nopt extending his contract, Hopefully we sell him and get Saul or Neves. Looks like he is playing for free release next year or waiting for us to sell him this year so he can get his 15M salary on year left

redrobed

He won’t do a Kane because we are not Tottenham. In this case, yes he’s a huge player but the club is still bigger. Ultimately I still believe he’ll sign a new contract. We pay him well - admittedly not as much as he’d get elsewhere - and there’s always a high chance of trophies at Old Trafford. He does need to have a big season this year though (not that he hasn’t before but I still feel he’s not quite reaching his potential for us).

Ole and everyone else at the club needs to get as much out of him as we possibly can. That for me includes us as fans giving him our full support.

laughtersassassin

Seems he is training today then
Guess he needed to stay back to do his pre season medicals or something like that.

Grinds my gears that most always assume the worst.

Edit: Guy who posted the vid is saying this is in Scotland.

Time for a thread title update? Pogba in training with squad.

Last edited:

wolvored

He won’t do a Kane because we are not Tottenham. In this case, yes he’s a huge player but the club is still bigger. Ultimately I still believe he’ll sign a new contract. We pay him well - admittedly not as much as he’d get elsewhere - and there’s always a high chance of trophies at Old Trafford. He does need to have a big season this year though (not that he hasn’t before but I still feel he’s not quite reaching his potential for us).

Ole and everyone else at the club needs to get as much out of him as we possibly can. That for me includes us as fans giving him our full support.
You are joking right? Who elso would pay him £350k a week, the money he has been offered and turned down.

laughtersassassin

You are joking right? Who elso would pay him £350k a week, the money he has been offered and turned down.
Has he turned that down?

You are taking the report of one Journalist who was caught lying last season about a Pogba injuring Bruno in training.

Why assume such a source is truthful?

redrobed

In isolation that sounds like a huge amount of money but at his best, he’s world class. To clubs like PSG and City to whom money is no object they’d pay him whatever he wanted (albeit while not declaring it).

meamth

Personally think that's nonsense.

1st time was fully justified in leaving and proved it. He wanted the gametime and showed he was correct. Same with Sancho and City.

If he done it again sure it's not great but what else should be do if he wants to go try somewhere else where he feels he has a better chance of winning trophies? It's not like he is loved here by most fans so why should he feel obligated to them?

He clearly loved us enough to rejoin us when we where a much worse team than Juventus and Real Madrid who wanted him.

Credit was due for even coming back.

I've still appreciated his time here. Better than 90% of our players in the same time period for me.
The abuse he got at the end of Mourinho's 2nd season or Oles first season, can't remember. That was it.

From Stretford end nonetheless, it was mental.

His love and devotion for United went downhill from that moment.

AFC NimbleThumb

Guess he needed to stay back to do his pre season medicals or something like that.

Has he turned that down?

You are taking the report of one Journalist who was caught lying last season about a Pogba injuring Bruno in training.

Keep fighting the good fight sir!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
But you can’t go the opposite way and say that subtle racism just doesn’t exist surely?

I’ve not seen anyone say a black player can’t be criticised. However, when a black player is consistently described as unprofessional, a bad influence etc despite all real evidence pointing to the opposite, I see no issue with asking the question as to whether there is something deeper. To straight up just disregard the possibility seems daft to me.
Ok that’s fine apart from the fact that we are in the Pogba thread so criticism is just I’m my opinion because his form is erratic and his agent is out of control. There is no subtle racism on this particular topic that I see. I’m happy for people to point out examples but unless they do I wish racism would stop being played when we fans criticise a player, because as fans we have a right to

OrcaFat

Works ok on the left of the forward three as well
Pogba, Bruno and Sancho freely interchanging behind Cavani could be pretty tasty. Rashford and Greenwood rotating in amongst that four makes the depth look healthy too.

Posh Red

Ok that’s fine apart from the fact that we are in the Pogba thread so criticism is just I’m my opinion because his form is erratic and his agent is out of control. There is no subtle racism on this particular topic that I see. I’m happy for people to point out examples but unless they do I wish racism would stop being played when we fans criticise a player, because as fans we have a right to
Personally I don’t get why people are so defensive over the concept. We all have unconscious biases so I see no issue in discussing the subject. You may well be right but that doesn’t make it wrong for someone to suggest it’s possible. I happen to think that it is entirely possible for unconscious biases to affect the way we judge players sometimes. And just to be clear I am not accusing you or anyone else in particular.

laughtersassassin

Personally I don’t get why people are so defensive over the concept. We all have unconscious biases so I see no issue in discussing the subject. You may well be right but that doesn’t make it wrong for someone to suggest it’s possible. I happen to think that it is entirely possible for unconscious biases to affect the way we judge players sometimes. And just to be clear I am not accusing you or anyone else in particular.
I mean it's there clear as day with certain people and people in the media. When people where legitimately moaning about haircuts and dancing effecting his ability to focus on football there is a problem. That is a bias based on something irrelevant to his job yet it effects their rational thinking on the subject.

Would they be happier to see him in the boozer? Probably would be cause then he'd be more relatable to the common man.

Like it is insanely ridiculous to cite those two things as potential problems yet they have been such a big talking point over the years.

I guess people don't realise Footballers have a lot of free time to get haircuts and dance around their living rooms.

laughtersassassin

The abuse he got at the end of Mourinho's 2nd season or Oles first season, can't remember. That was it.

From Stretford end nonetheless, it was mental.

His love and devotion for United went downhill from that moment.
And rightly so. It was disgraceful.

Surprised he didn't hand in a transfer request that summer.

They where singing Herreras name who was announced as going to PSG and booing Pogba who was our best player in statistically every way.

And Herrera left for money.

Strange how it goes really

wolvored

Has he turned that down?

Well he is on £290k a week is it at the moment? You are right I took it from the media the £350k. It could be higher the contract thats on offer.

SATA

Looking at this video and him training in the United kit pleases me a lot :drool:

laughtersassassin

Well he is on £290k a week is it at the moment? You are right I took it from the media the £350k. It could be higher the contract thats on offer.
Fair enough.

It's hard to know what any of our players are on tbh.

Contracts are heavily incentivised in all cases. It's likely why you see the difference in reporting so much.

Personally I'm fine with him getting a big contract.

He will get good money elsewhere even if he goes this year. We will have to be competitive in our offer and our project etc etc.

I'm fine if he stays or goes tbh. I wouldn't judge him even if it's free as the club may be making the calculated choice that it's worth it to have him another season. I'd be of the same opinion. No point losing him to just get 50 million imo

Whatever happens if he goes then our Midfield needs two major additions.

wolvored

Fair enough.

It's hard to know what any of our players are on tbh.

Contracts are heavily incentivised in all cases. It's likely why you see the difference in reporting so much.

Personally I'm fine with him getting a big contract.

He will get good money elsewhere even if he goes this year. We will have to be competitive in our offer and our project etc etc.

I'm fine if he stays or goes tbh. I wouldn't judge him even if it's free as the club may be making the calculated choice that it's worth it to have him another season. I'd be of the same opinion. No point losing him to just get 50 million imo

Whatever happens if he goes then our Midfield needs two major additions.
The point I was making was he will probably get his highest contract here if he signs, than anywhere else.
I can see it from his point of view. He has spent 5 years here and only won 2 minor trophies. There is nothing to suggest this will change this season coming.
Just wish he would come out and say hes staying or leaving and we can move on. At the moment the club is in limbo whether to go for a replacement or not.

RUCK4444

Let’s get that renewal agreed. Then sort the rest of midfield out.

Would be the absolute best way to end this summer.

golden_blunder

Staff
But if it’s unseen bias/unconscious bias then I dont see why racism should be thrown around. Are we going to accuse posters because of a feeling?
Yes there are match goers here and maybe some of them may have said something racist but we don’t know who they are and unless someone does something here that we can see, people have a right to have a pop at Pogba or any other footballer for that matter.

laughtersassassin

The point I was making was he will probably get his highest contract here if he signs, than anywhere else.
I can see it from his point of view. He has spent 5 years here and only won 2 minor trophies. There is nothing to suggest this will change this season coming.
Just wish he would come out and say hes staying or leaving and we can move on. At the moment the club is in limbo whether to go for a replacement or not.
The club will be is discussions with him.

No need to say it publicly when clearly nothing is decided.

Clubs plan is clearly to keep him this year based on most reports so really barring a major bid by PSG we know exactly what's happening for.the upcoming season.

We and Pogbas reps are still reported to be in talks so it's not like this is a closed situation and he is clearly going.

Fabrizio says we think we can get him to renew but are willing to lose for free to have him another year.

RUCK4444

But if it’s unseen bias/unconscious bias then I dont see why racism should be thrown around. Are we going to accuse posters because of a feeling?
Yes there are match goers here and maybe some of them may have said something racist but we don’t know who they are and unless someone does something here that we can see, people have a right to have a pop at Pogba or any other footballer for that matter.
They do, however, (and I’m genuinely never one to suggest this sort of thing) I honestly feel there are segments of fans and the media who have treated him differently ever since he arrived. Wayyyy before any mention of Madrid or before Raiola even started his nonsense.

I posted something along these lines years ago, about it being quite clear to me from the moment he arrived.

Im not suggesting it’s a major factor, there are a multitude of reasons why some fans seem to want to hound him out the club, we argue about them daily. But I’m confident it’s there playing a part, consciously and unconsciously. It always is.

But let’s not make a big deal of it, like you say it shouldn’t reflect on the forum because it’s impossible to tell.

golden_blunder

Staff
They do, however, (and I’m genuinely never one to suggest this sort of thing) I honestly feel there are segments of fans and the media who have treated him differently ever since he arrived. Wayyyy before any mention of Madrid or before Raiola even started his nonsense.

I posted something along these lines years ago, about it being quite clear to me from the moment he arrived.

Im not suggesting it’s a major factor, there are a multitude of reasons why some fans seem to want to hound him out the club, we argue about them daily. But I’m confident it’s there playing a part, consciously and unconsciously. It always is.

But let’s not make a big deal of it, like you say it shouldn’t reflect on the forum because it’s impossible to tell.
Yes I agree maybe media and some fans but all outside our control here so not fair for anyone to hint at some of the posters here being racist with no examples. So I’d like to move the convo on from that angle

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Honestly why care so much when nobody had actually been accused of anything? Why was the suggestion that there may be a racial element in some of the criticism enough to trigger posters into a back and forth that seemingly won't die? There's an element on social media, your twitters and your reddits, in normal media even. So why can't we address it here, or even bring it up?

The original poster was not heated, he didn't accuse anyone in here, but it triggered posters and they went after him. Think about that...

Malcusss

If the guy leaves for free a 2nd time then he doesn’t love our club.
Had to respond to this. Let's say he doesn't, which is questionable. Why would he have to? Why does it matter? Why do players have to love their club when clubs happily get rid of them when they are no longer of use? He has to perform, whether he loves the club or not is completely irrelevant. Half of city's and Chelsea's players during their most successful periods didn't even know the clubs existed before joining.

sp_107

Well said, Pogba and Bruno both as 8’s seems like a disaster to me.
Agreed, It will disturb the balance in the midfield as both lose the ball quite often, Pogba is world class but i think we are better off if we get someone from Neves/Saul/Moriba/Carmavinga/Bissouma

Malcusss

Agreed, It will disturb the balance in the midfield as both lose the ball quite often, Pogba is world class but i think we are better off if we get someone from Neves/Saul/Moriba/Carmavinga/Bissouma
I agree with the sentiment but not quite the examples. Honestly can't help but feel that neither Pogba or Bruno will be disciplined enough to only need one other midfielder to get the best of them, unless we play very much on the front foot.

None of the players you mentioned are near Pogba's quality, mind. Saúl closest, and Camavinga and Moriba may have the potential, but as of today, we'd be far worse off if we replace Pogba with any of these.

golden_blunder

Staff
Honestly why care so much when nobody had actually been accused of anything? Why was the suggestion that there may be a racial element in some of the criticism enough to trigger posters into a back and forth that seemingly won't die? There's an element on social media, your twitters and your reddits, in normal media even. So why can't we address it here, or even bring it up?

The original poster was not heated, he didn't accuse anyone in here, but it triggered posters and they went after him. Think about that...
I was triggered and I don’t have a racist bone in my body. Think about that. I was triggered by your post because it came across that people criticising him on the forum were doing it for racist purposes, which I took exception too because there is absolutely no evidence off it. So people should watch what they say going both ways

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I think if we are in a title race and still in the cl by new year he will sign a new contract with us.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I was triggered and I don’t have a racist bone in my body. Think about that. I was triggered by your post because it came across that people criticising him on the forum were doing it for racist purposes, which I took exception too because there is absolutely no evidence off it. So people should watch what they say going both ways
Did you not come across my posts clearly stating what I said, and what I meant? and what I didn't say?

I got quoted earlier, posters were still going on about it. I wasn't even going to say anything but then I see your post and I'm reading it as you don't want any of that talk in this thread. So I'm seeking clarification. What is the issue? If I've said something problematic, show me, and infract me.

theklr

I think if we are in a title race and still in the cl by new year he will sign a new contract with us.
Think the club wants an answer this summer, e.g. he wont get a contract offer after this summer . Dont remember who said it though but it seems reasonable

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Think the club wants an answer this summer, e.g. he wont get a contract offer after this summer . Dont remember who said it though but it seems reasonable
I'm sure they do, but I bet my ass if he says in January he wants to stay they don't say nah, your OK mate and let him go for free.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I'm sure they do, but I bet my ass if he says in January he wants to stay they don't say nah, your OK mate and let him go for free.
Depends on his number though, if its reasonable in the context of performances and the rest of the squad then maybe, but if its out of sync i think the club would be right to let him run his contract down.