Paul Scholes - How much longer?

Barry Red

How long will it be before SAF decides Scholesy is a luxury we simply can't afford?

This season he has been fecking dire. He hasn't even looked like scoring, his distribution is way off, he is not making the searching runs into dangerous positions, he still hasn't learned how to tackle (he was lucky not to get sent off last night), he's 31 years old and he looks like his legs are going.

Much as I have always thought very highly of him, Scholesy is now a passenger and perhaps it might be as well to give an extended run in the team to one of the younger players.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Like who? David Jones is the only candidate, and that would be too much of a risk. If you think we're dodgy with Scholes, watch how bad we'd be without him (e.g. at Boro). Besides, he's showing a few signs of getting out of the rut.

sincher

Yeah, he's that kind of player. When he's got a few under his belt he buzzes around and noone can get near him. When he's high on confidence, he's an almost flawless footballer ('almost' because of the tackling thing). When he's not, he tends to sit deep too much, and it's then that all the accusations of anonymity come out... though in fairness I think this is partly down to team tactics.

sincher

Saying his distribution is way off is a fecking joke, btw. He's still passing the ball better than any other player in our team - no doubt about that at all.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
sincher said:
Saying his distribution is way off is a fecking joke, btw. He's still passing the ball better than any other player in our team - no doubt about that at all.
But its still cack over all

Robbo

reelworld said:
One of the best player against Chelsea and Charlton.
Still the best midfielder we got.
sadly true and sad for such a legend. His decline found my bird get a swift telling off the other night for changing the words in the famous song to he
" used to score goals"

I did'nt have a comeback for her...but I made sure she swallowed an extra creamy load later for laughing at the Ginger Prince.

scops

I think next year will be his last year were he is in the starting lineup

Sca11ywag

ThomasM said:
hasnt even looked like scoring ? he was like 10inches away from nailing a 30 yard shot against chelsea
Is that all you can say about his season so far? In his 18 or so games?

Scholes is without question not bringing anything to the table at the moment (in terms of the team). Absolutely nothing. In fact it's been that way for a season or 2.

vijay said:
Once we get decent midfielders he would return back to his old self. Even Zidane would struggle to find his feet if played along with Fletcher and Smith.
He wouldn't give the ball away as much, no way.

The Hairdryer said:
Against Chelsea and Charlton he was dynamite.
I agree he is gradually getting a little more confident, but c'mon "dynamite" get a bloody grip mate.

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
Sca11ywag said:
Is that all you can say about his season so far? In his 18 or so games?

Scholes is without question not bringing anything to the table at the moment (in terms of the team). Absolutely nothing. In fact it's been that way for a season or 2.

He wouldn't give the ball away as much, no way.

I agree he is gradually getting a little more confident, but c'mon "dynamite" get a bloody grip mate.
He is in a bad form at the moment. Did he lose his form overnight?

Alek M

Da manic one
ThomasM said:
hasnt even looked like scoring ? he was like 10inches away from nailing a 30 yard shot against chelsea
And almost in every game he is hair's split away from scoring. Very unfortunate, like that set up last night that a last minute tackle took it from his nose.

Once he scores he will be off and running.

He is our best midfielder, and we question him. He needs to create our play, cover in the back, make runs in the box and score, what else, goal keep?

FFS. This is why I put a positive topic yesterday. Because there is always whining about someplayer. Generally it it fletch, but now Scholes is the fashionable thing. Last year it was Giggs.

Pscholes18

Barry Red said:
How long will it be before SAF decides Scholesy is a luxury we simply can't afford?

This season he has been fecking dire. He hasn't even looked like scoring, his distribution is way off, he is not making the searching runs into dangerous positions, he still hasn't learned how to tackle (he was lucky not to get sent off last night), he's 31 years old and he looks like his legs are going.

Much as I have always thought very highly of him, Scholesy is now a passenger and perhaps it might be as well to give an extended run in the team to one of the younger players.

Hes been running into the box all damn season. And he has been close several times. How is that not trying to score? His passing is still brill. Just because he isnt scoring goals doesnt mean he is going to shit.

TR

Feels utterly betrayed
vijay said:
He is in a bad form at the moment.
Not sure I agree with your definition of a 'moment'.

vijay said:
Did he lose his form overnight?
I'm not sure. What's your theory?

Alek M said:
FFS. This is why I put a positive topic yesterday. Because there is always whining about someplayer. Generally it it fletch, but now Scholes is the fashionable thing.
One of the world's best midfielders has been pretty ordinary for the better part of a season and a half, and people take a negative view. :rolleyes:

If Scholes had been playing for another club in his prime and we'd bought him on the strength of that, you'd be slating Fergie now for persevering with him on his 'recent' performance.

I'd love the ginger one to prove me wrong in his case, but you do understand that the statement 'class is permanent' is absolute bollocks, don't you?

vijay

TR said:
Not sure I agree with your definition of a 'moment'.
Last season even inspite of not playing to his potential .. he was still able to chip in with his fair share of goals and assists and whenever Keano was running the midfield Scholes definitely had a decent outing...This season he has gone worse.

vijay

TheDevil'sOwn said:
Scholes is a shell of his former self.

Injuries haven't helped any...but he's going on 2+ years of substandard play (for Scholes). Maybe it'll come back. We hold out hope, anyway.

Not many other options, are there?
Once we get some genuine midfielders, his form would improve.

vijay

TheDevil'sOwn said:
How many and who, just out of curiosity. We have no money and no one of any true "worth" would be available in January.
When we were a PLC there was an accountablity to every piece of information that came out of the board but there is no guarantee right now and nobody knows how much money is available in the transfer kitty.

We need couple of players to replace Smith and Flecther ASAP. Fergie might go for a decent holding player between the £6M to £8 M mark and add another one next season.

Morcs

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid tag-line.
People need to set their standards a bit higher an
We cant slag scholesy off for lack of form, we all know players have rough and purple patches that can last long enough to be either slagged off or become over-ratted.

Just remember, form is temporary. Class is permanent. He's still showing plenty of class, dont give up on him yet, especiallly while there is no realistic alternative as of yet.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Nedved looked average without Davids covering his arse (and then started playing well again when Juve bought Emerson). Zidane looked average without Makalele and Lampard turned from an overrated talent into the best central midfielder in Britain with Makalele covering his back.

What we need to do is to bring two good tough tackling midfielders and therefore permit Scholes/Rooney/Smith, Ruud, Ronaldo, Park/Giggs to concentrate on their jobs. Regarding Scholes successor he had already been bought. His name? Wayne Rooney.

Morcs

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid tag-line.
People need to set their standards a bit higher an
I slightly agree with the rooney idea, but I cant see him in the role scholes had played in the last few seasons, Rooney's best position would be in the role that scholes was played in whilst we had seba - ie. behind ruud, roaming around on a search and destroy mission.

Henry Chinaski

Redfighter said:
No, he was the eldest and most jaded. Scholes is just disinterested.
He does indeed look just disinterested. I say put Rooney in his position to get the ol´ box til box play going until he realizes that he´s not irreplaceble in the starting XI!

devilish

SHEVCHENKO said:
I slightly agree with the rooney idea, but I cant see him in the role scholes had played in the last few seasons, Rooney's best position would be in the role that scholes was played in whilst we had seba - ie. behind ruud, roaming around on a search and destroy mission.
On the long run Id like to see Manchester United playing with a 4 - 4 - 2 that can be easily reverted in a 4 - 4 -1 - 1 formation. We would be playing with two central hardworking midfielders which should permit Ronaldo and Giggs/Park to move forward with the ball + Rooney/Scholes dropping deep giving us that creativity punch from CM that we need.

togg

Now I start a post like this and get slaughtered for it. Scholes is not the player he was and I'm not blamming him for that, all players decline in the end. But we really really need to do something about our midfield strength. We just can't have Fletcher wide, he can't function like that. we need more experienced midfielders playing along Scholes and then he will benefit. Our failures this season are nothing to do with the forwards or the defence - its all down to midfield, I mean even a sunday league manager can see that...

devilish

Looking busy the bar had been raised and we should react accord to it. While I do like a team made up of homegrown talent we shouldnt consider the youths as player which we would rely on but only as a bonus.