Penalties in a shootout should be taken simultaneously

IrishRedDevil

The advantage gained by the team that goes first is much too great.

Teams that go first win 60% of the time. That’s a 20% greater chance of winning, which is a huge variable.

Split tv screen and make the penalties be taken simultaneously.

Lights flash down like the start of a Formula 1 race and the two penalty takers have to go at the exact same time.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Same ball as well. If you get nudged off by the opposition player then it's your own fault. Elbows are permitted.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That's a terrible idea. I'm sure there are 20 really bad things to find about it, but here's one: You get a crowd reaction just before the 2nd pen, as it's impossible to have them fully synchronised.

Least bad option for me is the way it actually is. The ABBA thing is like watching the Eurovision points tallied up.

Don't they choose who goes first by flipping a coin so the advantage gained by going first is fair? Also 60% of all penalty comps ever is insignificant.
Yeah it's very fair, when the World Cup is every 4 years and the Champions League every year.

It's not fair, as a coin flip determines who will win.

atkar83

I can't imagine how distracting that would be for goalies who're seeing the other shot occur in their peripheral vision

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Teams that go first win 60% of the time. That’s a 20% greater chance of winning, which is a huge variable.

Lights flash down like the start of a Formula 1 race and the two penalty takers have to go at the exact same time.
People want to ignore facts because of tradition and the fans and what not

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It would be much fairer and more logical to just have each team pick a player to have a knockout fight in the centre circle to determine the winner.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
What if the larger penalty taker simply ate the smaller one?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Just get rid of shootouts and just keep playing until someone scores, not talking golden goal just keep doing 15 minute halves of football

Too many sides play for penalties like they can point to the 'lottery' as the reason they lost, it's cowardly and anti-football

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
How can the paying match going fans watch both penalties at the same time? It will never happen. It only works for TV and even then a bit distracting.

The United Irishman

Just get rid of shootouts and just keep playing until someone scores, not talking golden goal just keep doing 15 minute halves of football

Too many sides play for penalties like they can point to the 'lottery' as the reason they lost, it's cowardly and anti-football
There are too many things wrong with that idea to even begin to list.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Still think the shootout should happen before ET. Gives players who miss a chance to redeem themselves, and opens the game up a bit in ET as one team has to go for it or they lose. Not sure about simultaneously, but an ABBA system should be looked at.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
After watching how the penalties are taken in the Hockey at the Olympics, I'm all for the captains being given the choice of the traditional way or this.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It would be much fairer and more logical to just have each team pick a player to have a knockout fight in the centre circle to determine the winner.
I like your style, but let's expand on that idea. One team is represented by a City supporter, the other by a M1A2 SEPv3 modern Abrams main battle tank. The first "team" to be crushed by the other loses.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
The only thing that can be fair is that the penalties should not exist, they should be replaced by free kicks from outside the area which are much tougher to score from.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Only wrinkle I'd add is that each team has to take one player off at the conclusion of every half. Given the space that'd open up, someone would score eventually.

Ole'sattheWheel

if the team going first gets a 60/40 chance of winning. Maybe choose a 60/40 weighted coin instead of 50/50.

Winner of the 60 weighted side gets to go 2nd (i.e. has a 40% chance of winning, therefore their total chance of winning is (6/10 + 4/10)/2 = 5/10 = 50%
The winner of the 40 weighted side goes 1st (i.e. has a 60% chance of winning the shootout, therefore total chance is (4/10 + 6/10)/2 = 5/10 = 50%

teague

Still think the shootout should happen before ET. Gives players who miss a chance to redeem themselves, and opens the game up a bit in ET as one team has to go for it or they lose. Not sure about simultaneously, but an ABBA system should be looked at.
Absolutely this. Penalty shootout, winner gets half a goal, then play extra time. Perfect solution.

MUFC OK

EL final, 4 shoutouts at the Euros, SC Final all won by the team shooting first.

Im in favour of any ideas that attempt to address this clear disadvantage.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i think the fairest way to decide it is have a independent panel judge the most attractive player from each team. they are then forced to remove their shirts and head to the center circle. they should then passionately kiss, the first one to move away from the kiss looses the game for his team.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Have a 1 v 1 defender v attacker until you end up with midfielder v midfielder

Oranges038

Next goal wins, just like in school when the bell went, except it didn't matter the score and usually the losing team suggested it.

I also think maybe Rock/Paper/Scissors amongst all 11 players, whover that the most wins the game.

Either that or a centre circle royal rumble, first team with all their players outside the cirlce loses.

MUFC OK

Nah screw pens, let's go back to USFL days and have 1v1s like hockey does
A 1 v 1 against the keeper is a good shout to be fair, but doesn’t necessarily solve the advantage of going first, which I believe is the issue with the current format.

The United Irishman

you're saying its a bad idea but won't say why because theres 'too many to list', that's not 'just saying' at all that's you being a twat
you're saying its a bad idea but won't say why because theres 'too many to list', that's not 'just saying' at all that's you being a twat
Then I apologise for rubbing you up the wrong way. Goodnight.

MUFC OK

Next goal wins is the fairest way, just like in school when the bell went, except it didn't matter the score and usually the losing team suggested it.

Either that or a centre circle royal rumble, first team with all their players outside the cirlce loses.
I’m in favour of golden goal. Teams can’t park the bus and play for pens.

binary bot
20 mins of ET then start removing a player from each team every 5 minutes beyond that.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
I've always thought it would be fun to move one goal to midfield and play a 6v6 game to decide things. It would allow the game to be decided by team play rather than individual performance/error.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

If only someone told Bruno…

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Let’s get @IrishRedDevil and @GoranIvanisevic into a room and force them to fix the game!! After that, they’ll be needed to save the world, but 1 thing at a time ;)
Football problems >>>World problems

I’m hoping for trampolines to be installed inside the penalty area to increase overhead kick goals! @GoranIvanisevic make it happen!
There is no rule against trampolines in goal areas specifically, but I am sure it is banned somehow.