Penalty encroachment

darko

I'm perplexed by the rule or call in the Watford match. A GK saves a penalty and player who has encroached scores. The punishment is to re-take the penalty. How us that punnishment? I the defensive side encroaches and the penalty takers scores, the penalty isn't re-taken.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
He wasn't the only one to encroach. On the other side of the box looked to be simultaneous with some other players

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Wan Bissaka supposedly encroached as well, or at least the commentator said so, after they'd shown the replay. The Watford player was definitely the furthest over, and he was the one who scored the rebound.

I'm assuming that if Wan Bissaka didn't encroach, then it would have just been a free kick to us.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I think Wan Bissaka also encroached.

Mind you, he was nowhere near the ball and didn't have any impact on what happened so I thought it was stupid too.

If the ball had fallen to Wan Bissaka and he cleared it behind for a corner with a Watford player encroaching but nowhere near him it shouldn't mean that they don't get a retake imo.

cyberman

Wan Bissaka supposedly encroached as well, or at least the commentator said so, after they'd shown the replay. The Watford player was definitely the furthest over, and he was the one who scored the rebound.

I'm assuming that if Wan Bissaka didn't encroach, then it would have just been a free kick to us.
That doesn’t matter unless he impacts play

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In the second scenario, it's essentially the "advantage rule", the defensive team committed an offence but it didn't prevent the opposition from scoring. Yesterday the issue is that both teams committed an offence.

darko

I guess there was no explanation from any official.

stw2022

I think if defending and attacking team are shown to have encroached at same time then unless there's direct interference in the taking of the penalty itself they should let it slide.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I may be wrong, but I genuinely didn't think Moss knew the rules. Man looked utterly baffled.

stw2022

I may be wrong, but I genuinely didn't think Moss knew the rules. Man looked utterly baffled.
He looks knackered. Not meaning to body shame anyone but I want to know whose pocket he's slipping the notes into for him to pass the fitness tests every week. He looks like Paul Durkin if he opened a pie shop

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

By that logic almost all penalties need to be retaken because there are always players who have no involvement in the play 'encroaching'.

ManUnitedCanuck

Do they review every penalty for encroachment? I feel like every time a goal is scored directly on a pen, there is someone in the box. With them being so stringent on keepers being off the line, they should be on encroachment too.

Statue of Limitations

I think a penalty should be taken similar to how it is in ice hockey.
Taker scores, obviously it's a goal.
Taker misses, goal kick.
No rebounds, no encroachment etc.

It is scored or not.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I believe the arguement they made was because we had players encroach on our team they were allowed to retake it.

Not really sure how that's fair but there you go.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
It should have went down to who encroached first and then who benefitted from the advantage, both occasions it was Watford and as such there should have been a freekick to United, my 2 cents.
2 poor penalties in the end, still had to be saved but a sort of justice was done. Should have been the lift the squad needed to wake up.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If both teams have a player encroaching and either gets involved in a relevant way then it's a retake. So it was the correct call, just a slightly odd rule.

If AWB wasn't encroaching it wouldn't have been a retake and (I think) if the Watford player had missed the follow up it wouldn't be a retake either.

I guess the logic is that a penalty is supposed to be in the attacking team's advantage, so they don't then want to penalise the attacking team for encroachment when the defending team is also encroaching.

Ixion

On the subject of encroachment go back and watch Schmeichel's penalty save against Arsenal in the 99 Cup and look at Scholes. Imagine if that had been retaken.

arnie_ni

They had a player in the box when they hit that pen today. Why didnt Var intervene? If it goes direct in does in not matter?

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Players should all be on the halfway line when it's taken.