'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
To being mentally broken? I mean, I could use a break from work every now and then but I wouldn't say I was mentally broken
Perhaps not broken per se. But Guardiola can afford the luxury of drawing that line a lot earlier than most, given that he's absolutely loaded and can still handpick his next job afterwards.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Do many people think he's a fighter who will relish the chance to get back ahead of Liverpool?

I think it's pretty well set for him to have a "break" at the end of this season.

TheOx

Supports
Liverpool
Uh oh. Another two points dropped at home.
Cant see him staying next year rn.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Why he persists with the inverted fullbacks for a decade now I don't know.

Just use normal wing backs for god sake.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Why he persists with the inverted fullbacks for a decade now I don't know.

Just use normal wing backs for god sake.
We've dropped more points this season because he plays normal wingbacks instead of inverted more often than not. Mendy played today and he never plays as an inverted full back. One of the reasons we are so exposed to counters this season is using wing backs too wide and too high with no cover in the middle when we lose the ball.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We've dropped more points this season because he plays normal wingbacks instead of inverted more often than not. Mendy played today and he never plays as an inverted full back. One of the reasons we are so exposed to counters this season is using wing backs too wide and too high with no cover in the middle when we lose the ball.
I thought he used inverted wing backs on the right to create spaces for de Bryune by making Mahrez go wide?

SharpshooterTom

He'll almost certainly get another season after this if he wants it.

Imagine sacking Fergie after the losing the title to Blackburn and FA Cup final to Everton in 1995, or losing to Arsenal in 98 and 02, plenty of people thought he was past it between 03-07 thinking he was going to go the way Wenger did.

You can't be successful every season. He's still a top 5 world manager and City would be wise sticking with him.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I thought he used inverted wing backs on the right to create spaces for de Bryune by making Mahrez go wide?
It depends on the game but more often this season KDB is playing deeper like today, we Walker/Cancelo out wide and overlapping.

The right hand side in possession looks something like this, so far this season when we play 4 at the back.

--------------------------------------------gk
------------------------cbr------------------
-----------------------------------------------
walker------------KDB-------Gundogan
------------Bernardo--------------------
----------------------------------------Kun

Paul_Scholes18

This was a fun draw. Hopefully they let in late goals again in the CL and gets knocked out.

el3mel

They'll still win the League Cup and has two more cups including CL to play for so it's not a washed out season yet but for how much money spent and for Pep's prestige as a manager this has been a below bar season that only CL win will make it a good one.

Either he'll walk out in summer or they'll spend a massive fortune. TBH I can see Liverpool struggling next season with losing Salah and Mane in Jan due to AFCON, so City might have a good chance winning the league again next year.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He'll almost certainly get another season after this if he wants it.

Imagine sacking Fergie after the losing the title to Blackburn and FA Cup final to Everton in 1995, or losing to Arsenal in 98 and 02, plenty of people thought he was past it between 03-07 thinking he was going to go the way Wenger did.

You can't be successful every season. He's still a top 5 world manager and City would be wise sticking with him.
Away with your common sense.

He must be tearing his hair follicles out though. It feels like they concede every shot they give the opposition.

TheOx

Supports
Liverpool
If he doesnt get you guys the CL and keep struggling in the league will be hard to see him staying. He reached a really high level with City, and now you guys won’t be satisfied with less than that. That is a dangerous place for a manager to be nowadays IMO.

adexkola

Supports
If he doesnt get you guys the CL and keep struggling in the league will be hard to see him staying. He reached a really high level with City, and now you guys won’t be satisfied with less than that. That is a dangerous place for a manager to be nowadays IMO.
Will Klopp be in this dangerous place next season if Liverpool don't win the CL or the league?

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Will Klopp be in this dangerous place next season if Liverpool don't win the CL or the league?
Sure, the manager who ends the 30 year wait for Liverpool's holy grail is the same as the manager who's not made the semi-final in three attempts at City's holy grail and that too with one of the most expensively assembled squads in history.

adexkola

Supports
Sure, the manager who ends the 30 year wait for Liverpool's holy grail is the same as the manager who's not made the semi-final in three attempts at City's holy grail and that too with one of the most expensively assembled squads in history.
Yeah, if we ignore the 2 PL and other trophies he's won, you're absolutely right

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
City fans aren’t even really bothered about the champions league are they? Most of the Bertie’s I know couldn’t care less about it.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s disappointing from him when you consider the players he inherited and the amount he has spent.

It just feels like he needs perfect conditions and struggles to adapt when he doesn’t have 50 million subs on the bench waiting to step in.

Stones and Otamendi were expensive buys, só feeling sorry about him with Laporte doesn’t wash for me.

He has a massive advantage over every other team in the league, and as such, any season he doesn’t win major trophies is a failure. That’s just how it goes when you give yourself these kind of jobs.

You get the praise when you do what’s expected of you, but you have to admit when it hasn’t been good enough too.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, if we ignore the 2 PL and other trophies he's won, you're absolutely right
I'm ignoring Klopp winning the CL too. :) So yes I'm absolutely right.

City fans aren’t even really bothered about the champions league are they? Most of the Bertie’s I know couldn’t care less about it.
It's not like they fill out the Etihad game after game in the league either. But Guardiola was signed by the owners for one purpose -- join the European elite by winning the CL. Between them, Mancini and Pellegrini also won two leagues, an FA cup and a couple of league cups. Pep wasn't signed just to win the same things better, Brian Clough style.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's already said he's comfortable working at City and he's happy to stay. In fairness who wouldn't be, yes its a hard league to win, especially with you guys being amazing but nowhere in the world will Pep be given what he's given at City and I think he knows it. Its pretty clear Pep is not one who gives a shit about history etc... when he took the job. He has his men in charge, the most expensive squad in world football, I don't see him walking and there is no way he'll be pushed. I think at worst we'll get till the end of next season.

He also strangely has our fans apathy towards the CL where no one really gives a shite if he fails in it, because we just haven't taken to it. He's kind of on a no lose situation with it, if he wins he's and gets our fans into the competition he's God (and lets face it, did we win it alot of fans tunes would change), if he loses City fans don't care because they don't like the comp (although personally it means a lot to me and if we want to be known as a truly great side we need 1).

All that said he's infuriated the feck out of me this season, his stubbornness is legendary and driving me mental.

Member 90887

Didn't he say the last few days that he's definitly staying at City ?

el3mel

City will never sack him. They moved heavens and earth to get him at first place. He will walk on his own once he gets bored of the job and league.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Said he'll be at City next season, which is when his contract runs out if I'm not mistaken. No mention of him saying he wants to extend his contract as far as I know. Silva, Fernandinho, & Aquero will all be well past their peak come the summer of 2021. Maybe he doesn't fancy the job of trying to replace them.

el3mel

Said he'll be at City next season, which is when his contract runs out if I'm not mistaken. No mention of him saying he wants to extend his contract as far as I know. Silva, Fernandinho, & Aquero will all be well past their peak come the summer of 2021. Maybe he doesn't fancy the job of trying to replace them.
I can see this happening. Liverpool will get fecked next year with AFCON timing. He will win one last league with City then leave on free and let them rebuild the team with a new manager. He will probably get Juve job next.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Yes, he did. It's just the annual bumping of a sack watch thread here on the Caf when some manager is losing points :lol:

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
He's already said he's comfortable working at City and he's happy to stay. In fairness who wouldn't be, yes its a hard league to win, especially with you guys being amazing but nowhere in the world will Pep be given what he's given at City and I think he knows it. Its pretty clear Pep is not one who gives a shit about history etc... when he took the job. He has his men in charge, the most expensive squad in world football, I don't see him walking and there is no way he'll be pushed. I think at worst we'll get till the end of next season.

He also strangely has our fans apathy towards the CL where no one really gives a shite if he fails in it, because we just haven't taken to it. He's kind of on a no lose situation with it, if he wins he's and gets our fans into the competition he's God (and lets face it, did we win it alot of fans tunes would change), if he loses City fans don't care because they don't like the comp (although personally it means a lot to me and if we want to be known as a truly great side we need 1).

All that said he's infuriated the feck out of me this season, his stubbornness is legendary and driving me mental.
City fans not arsed about winning the CL ????? Yeah Ok. Actually come to think of it, we've not been arsed about not winning the league for 30 years.

padr81

Supports
Man City
City fans not arsed about winning the CL ????? Yeah Ok. Actually come to think of it, we've not been arsed about not winning the league for 30 years.
If you think City fans have anything other than apathy for the CL you clearly don't read or pay any attention to football. Its pretty well known.

Even the manager had to say the team has to try and get the fans to care about Europe.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...tle-over-champions-league-glory-a4250236.html

padr81

Supports
Man City
& if you think that same apathy will still exist should your team be crowned champions of Europe then you clearly don't know a bunch of bullshitters when you see them.
I'm pretty sure I put that there in black and white in the message you jumped on in the first place... In fact you highlighted the line. That still doesn't mean they don't have an apathy towards it now because very many do for various reasons.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Pep like Klopp will be given as much time as he wants. City's owners know that there's no one better available and Pep's football, whilst not as effective as last season, is still a joy to watch.
I'm convinced that Pep will win the Champions League with City at some point and the owners will believe that too.

The only caveat to this is if Pep himself decides to call it a day at City. I don't think he will at the end of this season but he's down to his last 18months in charge and as of yet, no new contract has been agreed I don't think.

I'm not sure where City will turn after Pep if he decides to go as I think the only better manager right now is Klopp and he's never going to City. I guess Allegri or Simeone would be approached but I'm not sure if the City fans would take to their brands of football after 5 years of Pep's.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah I agree it's ridiculous. It's as if they pretend not to want to win in as they know they won't.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I agree it's ridiculous. It's as if they pretend not to want to win in as they know they won't.
This. I know a couple of City fans and they have both said that they're not arsed about the Champions League. I asked them if that was because they'd never won it before and strangely enough, just got ignored!

TheReligion

Abusive
This. I know a couple of City fans and they have both said that they're not arsed about the Champions League. I asked them if that was because they'd never won it before and strangely enough, just got ignored!
Hopefully they never will win it and they can keep this pretence on for good!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I'm still trying to figure out why Pep insists with this experiment of playing Fernandinho as a centre half. He clearly doesn't work in that position. I'm also surprised he hasn't tried Walker there. He showed he can play that position in a back 3 so why not in a pairing? He has the size to make it work in the middle...

Ludens the Red

I'm still trying to figure out why Pep insists with this experiment of playing Fernandinho as a centre half. He clearly doesn't work in that position. I'm also surprised he hasn't tried Walker there. He showed he can play that position in a back 3 so why not in a pairing? He has the size to make it work in the middle...
He’s been bizarre this season. I know they have injuries at CB but missing Fernandinho from that midfield has been catastrophic. But above all else his love affair with Gundogan and David Silva in the same midfield is actually self destructive at this point. It clearly doesn’t work yet he insists on it. Im sure if you looked at all their dropped points this season a midfield of Gundogan and David Silva would feature.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Pep like Klopp will be given as much time as he wants. City's owners know that there's no one better available and Pep's football, whilst not as effective as last season, is still a joy to watch.
I'm convinced that Pep will win the Champions League with City at some point and the owners will believe that too.

The only caveat to this is if Pep himself decides to call it a day at City. I don't think he will at the end of this season but he's down to his last 18months in charge and as of yet, no new contract has been agreed I don't think.

I'm not sure where City will turn after Pep if he decides to go as I think the only better manager right now is Klopp and he's never going to City. I guess Allegri or Simeone would be approached but I'm not sure if the City fans would take to their brands of football after 5 years of Pep's.
I can't see Allegri or Simeone while Txiki and Soriano are in charge. It will always be a high possession attacking manager. Obviously won't be as good as Pep but honestly if he doesn't take another job in the mean time, I could well see Rodgers get a chance despite the Liverpool connection. Someone like Nagelsmann is also a good shout.