Pepe Guardiola in the CL

Suedesi

So what was he thinking starting 7 defenders last night? The only creative attacking players in that team were KDB, Sterling and Jesus.

"I want to see my team be themselves," Pep said before. So why did Pep robbed his team of creativity then? David Silva, Riyad Mahrez, Bernardo Silva and Phil Foden were on the bench and instead City started with seven defensive players and a three-man backline against an underdog from Ligue 1.

This was peak Mourinho (when he left Martial, Rashford, Pogba on the bench against Sevilla and started with Matic, McTom, Fellaini, Herrera and Mata).

City is not a team hurting for resources, their owners have spent €1.5 billion - so why does he start with a back 3 of Fernandinho, Eric Garcia (??) and Laporte and then jams the midfield with Walker, Rodri, Gundogan, Cancelo? Absolute idiot, people go on about his genius because they play pretty passes and destroy Preston in League Cup, but Pep Guardiola committed sacrilege last night, and not for the first time in this competition.

Classical Mechanic

So what was he thinking starting 7 defenders last night? The only creative attacking players in that team were KDB, Sterling and Jesus.

"I want to see my team be themselves," Pep said before. So why did Pep robbed his team of creativity then? David Silva, Riyad Mahrez, Bernardo Silva and Phil Foden were on the bench and instead City started with seven defensive players and a three-man backline against an underdog from Ligue 1.

This was peak Mourinho (when he left Martial, Rashford, Pogba on the bench against Sevilla and started with Matic, McTom, Fellaini, Herrera and Mata).

City is not a team hurting for resources, their owners have spent €1.5 billion - so why does he start with a back 3 of Fernandinho, Eric Garcia (??) and Laporte and then jams the midfield with Walker, Rodri, Gundogan, Cancelo? Absolute idiot, people go on about his genius because they play pretty passes and destroy Preston in League Cup, but Pep Guardiola committed sacrilege last night, and not for the first time in this competition.
He tries to be the maverick genius by doing wacky shit. He started against Real with Jesus on the left, Foden as the f9 and Sterling on the right. Playing them all out of position. He put them in their proper positions in the second half of course after they shite.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Saying he started with 7 defenders is like saying Klopp plays every game with 6 defenders.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
At this point it's not a mental block from City or there players, it is Pep and I don't think it's going to change if he hasn't in 7 years will be doing the same next season. All though in this game equally some individual error cost them as well but 55 mins of that formation/lineup gave them very little time to make up for it.