Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

Tyrion

Obviously United have spent poorly, but you don’t see the difference between a club that operates to win as much as possible to create PR/glory for their owners vs a club that operates basically to maximise their owners profit?
I guess we should have looked at this tagline.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
That would require City to sell a foreign player in their squad first, but I'm not sure anyone will pay real money for Otamendi after today...
You're kidding right? Some team in Qatar will offer £250m for him in January. All above board of course.

JDubz

Supports
Man City
Omg how can he say that. Spurs made the CL final last year.
Think he's saying that if that's our sole focus, rather than aiming for a double, treble etc, then we're not at the level he wants us to be at.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Full quote being less ridiculous shocker:

"We miss a lot of chances in the final third and we have to do that to be clinical. When the people say about the Champions League being the target, we are still not ready," he said.

"We create a lot and we don't concede, but we can still improve. We are a team in the last two seasons who score a lot and create a lot. I don't have doubt about that, but still we have to keep going and work on that."

Guardiola referenced the save Ederson made from Christian Benteke in the second half, which ensured City remained in control at Selhurst Park.

Had the Palace substitute netted in the 76th minute, it would have set up a dramatic finale in south London.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Pep Guardiola is my idol getting exposed in another big game. Shocker.
Hardly exposed. Quite the opposite in a sense. City have outplayed Liverpool all over so far. One huge decision against him and one offside barely even checked.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Hardly exposed. Quite the opposite in a sense. City have outplayed Liverpool all over so far. One huge decision against him and one offside barely even checked.
Yeah. Liverpool are extreme fortunate to be 2 up at the moment.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's never been able to deal with Liverpool attacking them. And yet Ole, Jose etc. have done it. He's too big headed about it in my opinion. Won't play to nullify them first and foremost.

van Hooijdonk

The decision not to replace Kompany in the summer probably would cost him another PL title.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He's never been able to deal with Liverpool attacking them. And yet Ole, Jose etc. have done it. He's too big headed about it in my opinion. Won't play to nullify them first and foremost.
He doesn't wanna change things. Got embarassed in the UCL with Bayern because of it

el3mel

Pep Guardiola is my idol getting exposed in another big game. Shocker.
What an over the top comment. He won a domestic treble last season and a double the season before it. "Exposed" hilarious.

I don't like him that much but he already proved himself in PL. Everyone thought his style won't work in England and it ended up working brilliantly the last 2 seasons, spending loads or not.

Reminiscent of Barca on the very rare occasion they were up against a better team - no plan B. Be interesting to see how he switches up in the second half but I don't think he'll come up with an answer unless he can get Sterling into the game more. Seems we aren't giving Ole enough credit for his tactical ability considering he neutralized the same team Pep's in big trouble against.

cyberman

What an over the top comment. He won a domestic treble last season and a double the season before it. "Exposed" hilarious.

I don't like him that much but he already proved himself in PL. Everyone thought his style won't work in England and it ended up working brilliantly the last 2 seasons, spending loads or not.
Thats two out of four seasons if we are including this year and assume Liverpool will be champions.
We cant dismiss 50 percent of his tenure, its working out to the ratio of success they had before Pep came in.
We were told the criticism of Peps play not being sustainable past three seasons was bullshit but here we are. Their general play has fallen for quite a while now.
Even during the run in from last season he abandoned total football to shut up shop when they scored. The pass and move mindset gave way as the season went on for a more rigid style of play.
Theres no question Pep had changed his style due to English football. His style has been sort of found out.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Not sure I want him at Juve, as some said last Summer, just feck off to PSG and make them bankrupt for good. :wenger:

el3mel

Thats two out of four seasons if we are including this year and assume Liverpool will be champions.
We cant dismiss 50 percent of his tenure, its working out to the ratio of success they had before Pep came in.
We were told the criticism of Peps play not being sustainable past three seasons was bullshit but here we are. Their general play has falken for quite a while now.
Even during the run in from last season he abandoned total football to shut up shop when they scored. The pas and move mindset gave way as the season went on for a mire rigid style of play.
Theres no question Pep had changed his style due to English football. His style has been sort of found out.
The 2 previous seasons are more than enough for him to say he succeeded in PL and proved that his style worked in England. Defending your league title is pretty hard in England, only Ferguson and Mourinho had done it before Pep. Blaming him for not winning it 3 times on the run when only Ferguson managed it will be pretty weird.

Overall I don't like him, and he has never been a long term manager anyway (no current manager is). He left Barcelona after getting bored in his 4th season. Did the same in Bayern, so he's not and has never been a manager to stay +5 years or so in a team. However it doesn't change the fact he succeeded in England and a massive success too. No predicted this level of dominance they showed the previous 2 seasons, and I doubt we'll ever see it again anyway.

acnumber9

I wouldn’t say he’s been a massive success unless he wins the Champions League before he goes. Two league titles out of four with that squad isn’t overachieving and not even close. They have two elevens that could finish top four.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
:lol: Guardiola is adapting his style mainly and ONLY to the players at his disposal, not on the league, opponents etc.. If you think his style is different at City than it was at Barca or Bayern thats because of the different qualities of his players in these clubs:smirk: Yes, he does indeed tactically adapt to the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition (for example in Germany - to the fast transitions and counterattacks and in England - to the importance of winning the second ball) but the main principle of his philosophy remains exactly the same as it was when he started in 2007 at Barcelona B in Third Division:lol:

cyberman

:lol: Guardiola is adapting his style mainly and ONLY to the players at his disposal, not on the league, opponents etc.. If you think his style is different at City than it was at Barca or Bayern thats because of the different qualities of his players in these clubs:smirk: Yes, he does indeed tactically adapt to the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition (for example in Germany - to the fast transitions and counterattacks and in England - to the importance of winning the second ball) but the main principle of his philosophy remains exactly the same as it was when he started in 2007 at Barcelona B in Third Division:lol:
It changed mid season last year with the exact same set of players that swept the league with perfect football during the 18 months before.
They went from everything through midfield to everything out wide, maybe its to lessen the threat of counters if they lose the ball but the overall style has lessened in how they use the ball.
Their fullbacks have gone from crucial players to bystanders when attacking.

Ace of Spades

Seems the defence is hurting him, a bit surprised that they are that thin in defence. I always just assumed they have plenty of cover in every position.

cyberman

The 2 previous seasons are more than enough for him to say he succeeded in PL and proved that his style worked in England. Defending your league title is pretty hard in England, only Ferguson and Mourinho had done it before Pep. Blaming him for not winning it 3 times on the run when only Ferguson managed it will be pretty weird.

Overall I don't like him, and he has never been a long term manager anyway (no current manager is). He left Barcelona after getting bored in his 4th season. Did the same in Bayern, so he's not and has never been a manager to stay +5 years or so in a team. However it doesn't change the fact he succeeded in England and a massive success too. No predicted this level of dominance they showed the previous 2 seasons, and I doubt we'll ever see it again anyway.
He cant escape 2 out of 4 and nowhere in Europe though.
He wont be seen as a failure if he falls away this year but its not dominance either.
Employ pep over 4/5 years and you would expect more. That cant be denied

Member 101269

Are we witnessing the end of City as a challenging team, and Pep's stay in England?

el3mel

He cant escape 2 out of 4 and nowhere in Europe though.
He wont be seen as a failure if he falls away this year but its not dominance either.
Employ pep over 4/5 years and you would expect more. That cant be denied
He absolutely can. Don't know why he can't.

Member 101269

Pep flees England in shame, Klopp wins the league and retires from managing on a high. Big Sam takes over Liverpool and Pulis takes over City. They end the 20/21 season at 5th and 6th
He said "City cannot compete" unless the youth come through he's going to struggle

Based Adnan

Poor Pep who has a 62M back up RB in Cancelo and a £61M back up winger in Mahrez just couldn't afford a centre half this summer. You have to feel for him, really.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Biggest cnut in football.

All he needs to be the best manager in the world is the two best players in each position. Doesn’t ask for much.

cyberman

He absolutely can. Don't know why he can't.
Because hes flopped as much as hes dominated. His CL record for the money he spent is a joke as well. That amount for a 50/50 record is not on.
Theres a real chance we could be 6 points behind them after the next round of fixtures.
If that happens then thats abysmal but well have to wait and see.

RoyH1

Abu Dhabi FC is going to try to buy half the world come summer to try to give Pep one last shot at the CL.

Ace of Spades

Meh, I am no fan of Pep, but winning 3 in a row is no easy feat. Of course, with the insane squad he has at his disposal, you expect more.

What are their problems this year, apart from injuries ??