Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

el3mel

Because hes flopped as much as hes dominated. His CL record for the money he spent is a joke as well. That amount for a 50/50 record is not on.
Theres a real chance we could be 6 points behind them after the next round of fixtures.
If that happens then thats abysmal but well have to wait and see.
It doesn't work like that. Those 2 seasons were the first one and current one. Of course as a new manager in the league he will take time to adjust his style to the intensity of the premier league. Then he absolutely dominated the domestic competitions in the next seasons, winning 5 out of 6 domestic competitions in 2 years, then the team derailed off a little bit in the current season and he still can grap 1 or 2 cups and still have CL.

This argument holds on if he was good in a season then crap the next season then good again next season and so on but that's not the case, he started poorly, then dominated completely before the team derailed on a little bit. So yes, he absolutely can escape with 2 out of 4, because these 2 were in a row and were ridiculously brilliant.

GlasgowCeltic

Only the second proper challenge he’s faced in his career as a manager and he’s ended up second best both times

Guy Incognito

He'll be off to Juve if he doesn't win the league or CL (in my opinion).

And sick and tired of the over theatrics. Camera obsessed.

Fts 74

I don't understand him at times.

I think its his arrogance was city's undoing today.
Why not stop liverpools full backs instead of thinking "no we'll beat them playing our way I'm not trying to stop them let them worry about us"
Got smashed at Anfield again no surprise.

Their defence is an absolute joke considering the amount of money he's spent.
Unbelievable manager when he has perfect conditions but far too stubborn.

Eddy_JukeZ

Another 4th season title giveaway from Pep.

Happened at Barcelona. They were constantly trailing Real. City now trailing Pool by 9 in November.

Might not be a coincidence. Perhaps his methods wear out on the players too, much like Jose(though in far less dismal fashion).

thepolice123

Nothing new from Pep once again. Every club he's in they are bound to be in a situation where they have to rely on midfielders in defence. For all his spendings his CB signings are a joke.

DelPotro

Instead of resting his players for the most important league game of the season, he decided to play a very strong team against Atlanta when they've basically qualified for the knockout stage already. It's nice to see him getting punished. 2 EPL title with no CL in 4 years is not gonna look good for him considered he has players like KDB, Aguero, Sterling, Silva, etc. Juventus bound if both teams fail in the CL again?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He's never been able to deal with Liverpool attacking them. And yet Ole, Jose etc. have done it. He's too big headed about it in my opinion. Won't play to nullify them first and foremost.
He did it twice last year. That's what won them the league. We got one point and they got 4.

Think he knew they needed more than a draw here last night and that's why he set out to get the first goal.

Needham

2 titles in 4 seasons and no CL. Failure by his own standards. Losing his touch.

Handré1990

The commentators yesterday said he’s spent seven times more than Klopp in the same time. If true, that’s incredible. Three PL’s in a row seems impossible, even if you’re the best manager ev.. oh wait!

B20

Supports
Liverpool

Happened at Barcelona. They were constantly trailing Real. City now trailing Pool by 9 in November.

Might not be a coincidence. Perhaps his methods wear out on the players too, much like Jose(though in far less dismal fashion).
This is an absolutely ridiculous argument. He won three titles on the trot in Spain and got 91 points in the fourth, second to the first) team that won the points record.

"4th season giveaway". Ffs. Ridiculous. Where are the managers who win four in a row? Allegri did it with juve, so did carcano in the 30s. Cruyff with Barcelona in the 90s, munoz with Madrid in the 60s.

That's it for the four major leagues in Europe. No manager ever did it in Germany or England.

Raw

Am I right in saying that his best players have been players that he inherited rather than bought? Other than Bernardo Silva, I don't think he's made a signing as good as the likes of Aguero, De Bruyne, Sterling, Fernandinho and David Silva who are still City's best players.

cyberman

This is an absolutely ridiculous argument. He won three titles on the trot in Spain and got 91 points in the fourth, second to the first) team that won the points record.

"4th season giveaway". Ffs. Ridiculous. Where are the managers who win four in a row? Allegri did it with juve, so did carcano in the 30s. Cruyff with Barcelona in the 90s, munoz with Madrid in the 60s.

That's it for the four major leagues in Europe. No manager ever did it in Germany or England.
Pep has admitted his methods wear his players out around the 3rd /4th season.
His methods had that squad spent and they relied on Messi brilliance throughout that season rather than team excellence.
Its what happends when you continually push for 4 and 5 instead of managing games. It takes it out of the players legs.
Barca were exactly how City are now. They were 7 points behind Madrid in January with the whole world knowing Madrid wouldnt let them back in it. And they were miles better than that Madrid side at the time.
They did kind of crumble, thats 9 points behind the winners despite winning both Classicos.

Last edited:

Aouer-United

Am I right in saying that his best players have been players that he inherited rather than bought? Other than Bernardo Silva, I don't think he's made a signing as good as the likes of Aguero, De Bruyne, Sterling, Fernandinho and David Silva who are still City's best players.
You surely have a point. Sane was also good signings. Pep's system allow the likes of Sterling, De Brunye, Fernandinho and Silva to thrive in Pep's system where they create a lot of chances and get on ball lot. Mendy was 50m+ signings, he only had 20 appearances in PL for City over 3 years, that's a poor record.

Eddy_JukeZ

I mean Barcelona players and Pep himself said his methods wear out on the players.

Giveaway was perhaps a wrong word, but I don't see why you took such a huge offense to it.

I think what I said was perfectly valid. His team shouldn't be 9 points behind Liverpool in November(despite what you may think of Liverpool).

Raw

You surely have a point. Sane was also good signings. Pep's system allow the likes of Sterling, De Brunye, Fernandinho and Silva to thrive in Pep's system where they create a lot of chances and get on ball lot. Mendy was 50m+ signings, he only had 20 appearances in PL for City over 3 years, that's a poor record.
Yeah definitely deserves credit for getting the absolute best out of what he got. Just that most of his signings have been decent depth signings, which is fine, but I could only think of one player he bought who became absolutely integral to the team. Saying that, I think he signed Ederson as well.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Ederson, Walker, Laporte...

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Nothing to do with Pep, rather the cycle of any team that has ever been built and then in time had to be rebuilt. Even the king of longevity Alex Ferguson cycled winning two or three titles on the bounce before dropping out of contention for a season in order to rejuvenate and craft another team to dominate.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Can't believe I forgot Laporte :houllier:
For what it's worth, I think Pep's record with signing players has been generally great.
16/17
Gundogan, B+
Nolito, C-
Zinchenko, B
Sane, A-
Stones, B
Bravo, C+

17/18
Bernardo, A-
Ederson, A
Walker, A-
Danilo, B
Mendy, C
Laporte, A

18/19
Mahrez, B
And I think, as of the start of next season, Nolito, Bravo, and Mendy will have all moved on.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Nothing to do with Pep, rather the cycle of any team that has ever been built and then in time had to be rebuilt. Even the king of longevity Alex Ferguson cycled winning two or three titles on the bounce before dropping out of contention for a season in order to rejuvenate and craft another team to dominate.
Yep, this is how I see it too. We're currently at the end of a decade in England that has seen precisely one team defend the Premier League title.

No team has won three consecutive top division titles in England since United in 2009. You'd have to go back to 2001 to find the time before that, and even that was achieved by the same manager (Ferguson) with the same club (United). You'd have to go back to Liverpool in 1984 to find the time before that. Point is, one team winning three consecutive titles isn't exactly a common occurrence. It's easy to see why some fans would expect it of City given what we have at our disposal but every team has a rise, a peak, a fall, and a period of a regeneration.

We've had our period of dominance and now Liverpool will have theirs. But Klopp won't be there forever, they'll need to replace certain key players, and so they'll enter a "fall" and a period of regeneration, etc.

City had their "rise" in the 16/17 season, were at the "peak" throughout the 17/18 and 18/19 seasons, and we'll have our "fall" during the first half of this season. From January onwards we'll go through a period of regeneration. We'll "rise" again next season, and so the cycle goes. Whether that new "rise" happens under Pep awaits to be seen - I think he'll stay for another season or two so long as everything stays in place, but we have no idea what the club are planning. We have too much at our disposal to not be winners again, though, so a season without the title is hardly a crisis after the previous two years.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Not replacing Kompany and signing Cancelo was strange. Especially when it means moving their best centre midfielder into CB because Pep doesn't fancy their other fit CB.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
And in 'lying twit' news...
F365 said:
"It was not sarcastic,” Guardiola said. “I say, ‘Thank you so much’ all the time. I said the same at Tottenham game at home. All the time I go to referees I say thank you so much.”

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Not replacing Kompany and signing Cancelo was strange. Especially when it means moving their best centre midfielder into CB because Pep doesn't fancy their other fit CB.
This is an important point. Fernandinho was a key reason City got to 98 points last season. Even with Laporte being injured you don't move your only midfielder that bothers to run/tackle away from such an important area. This is why Norwich, Leicester and Wolves dominated, no midfield shield. I expect similar issues vs Chelsea (Jorgino, Pulisic, Mount) too.

Raw

Can see why they wanted Maguire so much. Though it's weird that they couldn't find any alternatives.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Can see why they wanted Maguire so much. Though it's weird that they couldn't find any alternatives.
Maybe they just got cocky and complacent after winning two titles, might have thought they were good enough to do it again even without finding a Kompany replacement. I would've thought they'd have moved heaven and earth for De Ligt, he seems right up Guardiola's street.

Kostur

海尔的老板

4th season syndrome eh?

He's a season better than Mourinho then.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I mean Barcelona players and Pep himself said his methods wear out on the players.

Giveaway was perhaps a wrong word, but I don't see why you took such a huge offense to it.
I take offence at the intellectual laziness of casually cheapening his accomplishments of winning back to back league titles with the two highest point totals in the history of the league with a "but where is he in season 4?", as if there are any other managers around who do manage such a feat.

Ferguson couldn't do it, neither could paisley. It's not a "guardiola's pattern". It's how football works.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I think he's a fantastic manager when it comes to teaching a certain system and implementing it.

However, he is really bad as a touchline manager in a sense that he has no plan b and doesn't know how to make adjustments. This is not even debatable anymore when you consider his track record. I wonder how many times he's come back to win a game from being behind.

I might be simplifying it, but top managers with top teams preparing to play his teams almost have a how-to guide to follow as they know exactly how his teams will set up. Give these managers enough time to prepare and they will find something that works. This is why he fails miserably in the CL; top managers know how to prepare for him as soon as they're drawn together. Not all teams have the personnel to implement the necessary tactics though, which is why it works against most.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
They’re missing sane most of all imo, he added an extra dimension to their attack. He’s the one city player I always feared the most seeing in the line up.