Peter Beardsley charged with using racist language by FA

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Unfortunately, you can't get away with the sort of things the coaches he trained under as a youth got away with, anymore.

Beardsley, who left United this month after a 14-month club investigation, has "categorically denied" the claims.

Anti-racism group Kick It Out had said it was "concerned" Newcastle had not revealed the reasons for his departure.

Beardsley faced multiple complaints, including one of bullying by 22-year-old midfielder Yasin Ben El-Mhanni.

Newcastle have declined to comment.

The FA said: "It is alleged Mr Beardsley used abusive and/or insulting words towards Newcastle United FC Under 23 players, which were contrary to FA Rule E3(1), whilst employed as their coach.

"It is further alleged these words also constituted an 'aggravated breach', which is defined in FA Rule E3(2), as they included reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race and/or nationality."

The former England international has until 12 April to respond to the charges.

Kick it Out said it "noted" the FA charge and "repeat our call for the club to be transparent about the findings of their own investigation into this case."

Beardsley, who had been U23s coach at Newcastle since 2009, had been on leave since a club investigation into racism and bullying allegations began last year.

After he left the club, Beardsley, who made 326 appearances for Newcastle as a player, said the "time was right to seek a new challenge".

He added: "I have always honoured my contractual obligations of confidentiality to the club and maintained my silence, which has in itself been very difficult."

Newcastle said they were "grateful for the contribution Peter has given over the years as a player, coach and ambassador and we wish him well for the future".

In 2003, Beardsley and academy director Kenny Wharton faced a Premier League investigation over allegations of bullying made by youth players James Beaumont and Ross Gardner but the case was dismissed.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47665830

Red_toad

Why can't we just know what words he is alleged to have said?
Way the media are reporting it, he’s already been found guilty. But I’m sure he’ll have his date to defend himself and some version of the truth will out...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I always had an image of him as being a kind and gentle simpleton. Like a tiny Geordie version of Hodor from Game of Thrones (nobody really knows what he is trying to say but everyone likes him).

beedoubleyou

Think it was more of a “unfortunately for him”.
Well yeah. Though I do grow tired of older generations hiding behind the movable nature of what language is and isn't acceptable.

I was recently asked if I had any "coloured" friends and they wheeled out that excuse again when challenged.

Sure, you can't keep up with this but you can quote misinformation about BREXIT verbatim.

Big fan of the Beardsley impression on Atheltico Mince.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Well yeah. Though I do grow tired of older generations hiding behind the movable nature of what language is and isn't acceptable.

I was recently asked if I had any "coloured" friends and they wheeled out that excuse again when challenged.

Sure, you can't keep up with this but you can quote misinformation about BREXIT verbatim.

Big fan of the Beardsley impression on Atheltico Mince.
Settle down Junior.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I always had an image of him as being a kind and gentle simpleton. Like a tiny Geordie version of Hodor from Game of Thrones (nobody really knows what he is trying to say but everyone likes him).
This is how I've always seen him, too, and I guess part of that was down to the impressions of him from the likes of Alistair McGowan and his selfless, aimable nature on the pitch.

He also had the most gormless, harmless look to him in the Panini sticker books; like he'd won a competition to be in them.

Now, it seems he is probably yet another £*$% from a generation that has proven itself to be quite scandalous.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Why can't we just know what words he is alleged to have said?
I've read one of his comments was to two black youth players struggling on some climbing frame which led him to quip 'I thought your lot were supposed to be good at this' or words to that effect. I think the most important thing to emphasise to anyone looking to downplay comments like this as 'banter' albeit in poor taste is that he's saying this to players who are young and who he is in a position of authority over.

Kag

Give Go Ape and Beardsley a search online.

He’s always been a twat and as far as I’ve heard it’s been a long time coming.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I have always thought of him as just a normal Geordie (you know, a bit of a knob head)

Kag

I did, and your post came up in the results.
Did you ignore Craig Hope’s article in the Mail on your route towards making this post?

I’ve heard plenty about Beardsley (mostly negative) but I’m aware you’ll have no interest in reading that.