Phallon Tullis-Joyce | Future no.1?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
United have signed 26-year old American keeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce. She arrives from OL Reign where she spent the last two years. Prior to that PTJ represented French club Reims from 2019 to 2021. In college she played for Miami Hurricanes.

According to many journalists, the move could set a new record transfer fee (£100k currently) for a goalkeeper.

Tullis-Joyce is estimated to be around 183-185cm, which can be considered pretty tall for a female goalkeeper. For comparison, Mary Earps is 173cm, Sophie Baggaley 167cm, Emily Ramsey and Sio Chamberlain approximately 180cm.

During her sophomore season with the Miami, Tullis-Joyce was the starting goalkeeper and was named to the All-ACC Academic Team. She earned NSCAA College Player of the Week ACC Defensive Player of the Week honors in September 2016.

During the 2019/20 season she started 16 games for Reims, the season after that she played in all 22 league games.

After two seasons in France she joined OL Reign in the NWSL. Initially her role was to be the second choice keeper behind England international Karen Bardsley as well as French legend Sarah Bouhaddi. Last season she became the number one and earned five Save of the Week honors in eleven matches.

In the 2023 season Tullis-Joyce started 16 games, made 42 saves, conceded 19 goals and kept four clean sheets. OL Reign is currently fourth in the NWSL standings.

Her long pass success rate this season is 42.2%, passes in her own half 75.5% and in the opponent half 28%.

You can learn more about our new keeper and read comments from her OL Reign coach and teammates here.

She seems a decent goalkeeper with a long reach. US have had good keepers in the national team, but still I’m not sure what to read into the fact that at almost 27 years of age she, as far as I know, hasn’t made her international debut (yet).

But I trust we know what we’re doing and hope she takes another step forward and becomes a legend at the club!

Welcome to United, PTJ!

Fun fact: Tullis-Joyce is also a certified scuba diver.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
She also has a marine biology youtube channel :D

top1whoisman

Scout
PTJ:
“Today has been pure excitement for me. Manchester United is such an historic club, that has already done so much in the women’s game. I’m so honoured to get this opportunity.”

Skinner:
“Phallon joins us at an exciting time for Manchester United Women, as we embark on our first European season. We are delighted to welcome Phallon to our family.

“Phallon has a wonderful array of talents, and we look forward to seeing her growth at Manchester United.”

Bancroft:
“Phallon is an exciting goalkeeper who will bring maturity and experience to our squad. We look forward to seeing her continued development here at Manchester United, as we complete on domestic and European fronts.”

Grande

She’s been behind two excellent keepers at her NWSL club, 27 is no age for a keeper, she’s been in preliminary troops of the US, which is a very strong squad. She’s surely not a Earps level yet, but who is? I hope Earps bucklea down amd stays, helps United take the next step and becomes a bona fide United legend. She’s one step away from it yet. If not, this is a good start to try out a possible replacement.

Lightbringer

£££££££££££££££ - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:

Thiagoal

Seems strange to sign a backup goalkeeper for a record fee when we have the best one in the world as first choice. Unless…

Eric_the_Red99

Seems strange to sign a backup goalkeeper for a record fee when we have the best one in the world as first choice. Unless…
Apparently United haven’t given up on persuading Earps to stay, but I guess this is about ensuring there is a contingency in place if they’re unsuccessful. But if Earps does stay, I can’t imagine Phallon staying beyond next summer, as she’s too good to be back-up for more than one season. And given that the ‘record fee’ is still only £100k, it’s not a huge financial risk in the grand scheme of things. I think this is a sensible move.

top1whoisman

Scout
Decent price for a substitute.

Seriously though, I wonder if it's been a clear plan that she'll be the long-term number one and we've known since last summer that Earps will leave in 2024.

If that is the case, it would have perhaps been smart to start integrating her into the team during the season. Especially when it was clear that we're not challenging for the CL spots.

FlexoRodriguez

Decent price for a substitute.

Seriously though, I wonder if it's been a clear plan that she'll be the long-term number one and we've known since last summer that Earps will leave in 2024.

If that is the case, it would have perhaps been smart to start integrating her into the team during the season. Especially when it was clear that we're not challenging for the CL spots.

She played all the conti cup games didn’t she? Or is my memory playing tricks?!? To be fair, it may be. And yes, she could have played more, unless they are keeping Mary on side in case she stays.