Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
This is the problem I have. Sancho has supposedly lost his powers based on a handful of games. Wise up!
You’re telling lies again because I didn’t say that did I?

I‘ve made no secret of the fact that I think that Sancho is already a marvellous young talent, and I think that he’ll become a terrific professional in future years, but that his development was knocked backwards by him leaving one of the best current academies to get first team football in Germany.

I think that Ole and United’s coaching staff have sussed out that he’s not ready for regular first team football in a top PL side just yet and that they’re working hard to get him up to that level. Hence his lack of game time.
It’s obvious to everyone who cares to look that Sancho’s development has not kept pace with Foden’s.

I‘ll give you some advice that you ought to take.
I have respect for most posters on here because they read what others write and give straight opinions in response, they don’t make up nonsense lies.
You’re an unfortunate exception and I’ve taken the trouble to dismiss your lies and set you right on two occasions already today.
You making up shite that I haven’t said is disrespectful to me, and also to anyone else using the forum, so either you stop with your wumming lies or I’ll report you to the mods and let them deal with you.

Remember the geese

his development was knocked backwards by him leaving one of the best current academies to get first team football in Germany.
This is quite clearly nonsense though. Him moving to Dortmund accelerated his development and was the correct choice. I have no idea how this is even debatable. Similarly to Pogba leaving us to play for Juventus.
I think that Ole and United’s coaching staff have sussed out that he’s not ready for regular first team football in a top PL side just yet and that they’re working hard to get him up to that level. Hence his lack of game time.
It’s obvious to everyone who cares to look that Sancho’s development has not kept pace with Foden’s.
I'm not sure where to start with this. He's a young lad coming from Germany. It isn't surprising that he is being eased in gently. Especially after being involved in the Euro's and carrying an element of distress following it, I'd imagine. Sancho has also been competing with Pogba and Greenwood for a starting place, so has no guarantee of playing every minute of every game. Much like Foden. Certainly doesn't suggest that Ole and his staff have sussed out that he's not up to it.
I have respect for most posters on here because they read what others write and give straight opinions in response, they don’t make up nonsense lies.
You’re an unfortunate exception and I’ve taken the trouble to dismiss your lies and set you right on two occasions already today.
You making up shite that I haven’t said is disrespectful to me, and also to anyone else using the forum, so either you stop with your wumming lies or I’ll report you to the mods and let them deal with you.
As for this, I'm not really interested in interacting with someone who is this highly strung. We shall agree to disagree and leave it there.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
Quality control
This is quite clearly nonsense though. Him moving to Dortmund accelerated his development and was the correct choice. I have no idea how this is even debatable. Similarly to Pogba leaving us to play for Juventus.

I'm not sure where to start with this. He's a young lad coming from Germany. It isn't surprising that he is being eased in gently. Especially after being involved in the Euro's and carrying an element of distress following it, I'd imagine. Sancho has also been competing with Pogba and Greenwood for a starting place, so has no guarantee of playing every minute of every game. Much like Foden. Certainly doesn't suggest that Ole and his staff have sussed out that he's not up to it.

As for this, I'm not really interested in interacting with someone who is this highly strung. We shall agree to disagree and leave it there.
You came at me with your ridiculous lies and now you’re trying to hide your embarrassment by writing absolute nonsense.
I’m happy enough to laugh at you for now but keep telling your lies and I’ll report you to the mods.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
That’s a stupid argument.
Pogba plays in an absurdly stacked team but only manages to impress in 1 out of 4 games, while Foden impresses in at least 3 out of 4.
According to you that means Pogba's not an established talent . . which is stupid.
That is a stupid argument. It seems to be an argument only you are making though because it has nothing to do with what I actually said.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Tbf your opinion is highly biased. He is a good player being coached by one of this generations best managers in Pep. We will wait to see how he fairs after Pep has left, to truly see how good he is.
He'll get better after Pep has gone. A manager who actually starts him in the appropriate amount of games will only be a good thing for his development. Right now he's watching from the bench over half of the time and that has to be holding him back at this point.

in an absurdly stacked team. Again, what happened to him in the Euros?
Southgate. Southgate happened.

Foden started the first two games and looked okay in what was, frankly, an embarrassingly bad pair of performances from both our attacking and midfield units. None of our forwards looked any good at all in those games. He was benched for the third group game due to being on a yellow card, then got injured. Hardly his fault.

You think Foden is better than him as well?
I think most people do, and not unfairly so. Just compare and contrast the Foden thread on Bluemoon with the Rashford thread on here to see what the guys who watch them every week really think.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City

I‘ve made no secret of the fact that I think that Sancho is already a marvellous young talent, and I think that he’ll become a terrific professional in future years, but that his development was knocked backwards by him leaving one of the best current academies to get first team football in Germany.

Sancho's development skyrocketed when he left "one of the best current academies to get first team football in Germany". It was leaving City that made him the player he is. And the idea that Ole thinks Sancho isn't ready for regular first team football in the PL but dross like Fred is, when Sancho was one of the best players in Europe until a few months ago, is absolutely absurd.

Also stop going on about 'lies', it makes you sound like a cultist.

NK86

He'll get better after Pep has gone. A manager who actually starts him in the appropriate amount of games will only be a good thing for his development. Right now he's watching from the bench over half of the time and that has to be holding him back at this point.

Southgate. Southgate happened.

Foden started the first two games and looked okay in what was, frankly, an embarrassingly bad pair of performances from both our attacking and midfield units. None of our forwards looked any good at all in those games. He was benched for the third group game due to being on a yellow card, then got injured. Hardly his fault.

I think most people do, and not unfairly so. Just compare and contrast the Foden thread on Bluemoon with the Rashford thread on here to see what the guys who watch them every week really think.
There have been people on here who have said things about SAF. You think that's testimony to how good a manager the great man was?

As for Bluemoon, there's only Rawk who can be more deluded than posters on that forum, so who cares what they think.

captaincantona

I hate this “not ready for the premiere league” lark. Players need to adapt...no doubt...but If you pay that much for a player..Play him till his fuking legs fall off to get him up to speed ASAP...Fred still can’t handle the premiere league when in possession. But it took us two and half years to figure it out because he never got a decent run in the team...same now with VDB...we will never know what we had...Di Maria...Kagawa...were they ever given 8,10 game runs, regardless of their performances to let themselves adapt?

Sancho should be starting every game and given 70 or 80 mins regardless until we can say for sure if he is or isn’t suited to the PL. Sub appearances and starting CL games ain’t gonna help him.

redrobed

I know he’s City but I think he could turn into a top footballer. Would love it if he did a Sancho and forced a move to us even if via another club for the experience like Jadon did.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
I know he’s City but I think he could turn into a top footballer. Would love it if he did a Sancho and forced a move to us even if via another club for the experience like Jadon did.
Why would he force a move out of Manchester City?, He’s a fan, plays every week, Guardiola loves him and going to sign a £150,000 a week contract, would you force a move if it was you?

432JuanMata

He is 20, has a huge contract, plays at a team winning silverware, gets plenty of game time and plays under a manager who improved young players. Peps way of playing is great for young players as it improve there passing,touch,fitness and movement.
Sancho was a different situation he was a youth player that moved on Foden is a regular

Jam

Just as likely as Rashford suddenly deciding to down tools until he gets a move to Liverpool in the January window.

Mark Wuhlberg

Supports
Manchester City
You're joking right, he already benched Sterling on the LW towards the end of last season and has played in every league game this season after returning from his injury, starting 3 out of 4 games, including Anfield where he scored a goal. He also featured in the most important CL games last season, started against Wolfsburg, Dortmund, PSG and Chelsea while Sterling started on the bench for all of them except vs Chelsea.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
You're joking right, he already benched Sterling on the LW towards the end of last season and has played in every league game this season after returning from his injury, starting 3 out of 4 games, including Anfield where he scored a goal. He also featured in the most important CL games last season, started against Wolfsburg, Dortmund, PSG and Chelsea while Sterling started on the bench for all of them except vs Chelsea.
Last season he started only 17 league games. That's really not enough for a guy who I think would now start for any other team in the world except PSG.

This season the early signs are that Pep might have changed his approach and will give Phil more minutes, but that wasn't true when I wrote that post.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Last season he started only 17 league games. That's really not enough for a guy who I think would now start for any other team in the world except PSG.

This season the early signs are that Pep might have changed his approach and will give Phil more minutes, but that wasn't true when I wrote that post.
He's been injured this season ffs

Mark Wuhlberg

Supports
Manchester City

Last season he played in 28 league games as a 20 year old, last year Bernardo Silva also played in 26 league games, Gundogan in 28 league games, Kevin De Bruyne in 29 league games, Riyad Mahrez in 27 league games, Kyle Walker in 24.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/manchester-city/leistungsdaten/verein/281/plus/0?reldata=GB1&2020

This is Manchester City, not Norwich, there are 25 players who all have to rotate and 28 league games, 13 CL games, 4 EFL and 5 FA cup games are adequate for a 20 year old coming from the academy.

This is Messi's statistics when he was 20 years old: https://www.transfermarkt.com/lione...07&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Foden at 20 played more games and total minutes than Messi at the same age. This year he gets more minutes commensurate to his development and performances. And to his fitness level (he was injured when the season started)

Last edited:

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Phil is fully integrated in the first XI now and any games he misses will only be for purposes of injury or rest.
The more interesting player for the forum to micromanage at the moment is Cole Palmer.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
He's been injured this season ffs
Yeah and he was perfectly fit for most of last season but that didn't stop Pep benching him. Pretty obviously what I'm saying is until he returned from injury there was no reason to believe his minutes would go up.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Phil is fully integrated in the first XI now and any games he misses will only be for purposes of injury or rest.
The more interesting player for the forum to micromanage at the moment is Cole Palmer.
What kind of player is palmer?

If you had to say he was like an ex player from anywhere (ie Xavi, Carrick, Iniesta, Ashley Cole, John Terry) - who would you say he resembles a bit closest to?

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Yeah and he was perfectly fit for most of last season but that didn't stop Pep benching him. Pretty obviously what I'm saying is until he returned from injury there was no reason to believe his minutes would go up.
As said before, he played in 28 league games last season. And as the other first teamers, he simply missed league games at the end of last season because they were rested for the CL.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
What kind of player is palmer?

If you had to say he was like an ex player from anywhere (ie Xavi, Carrick, Iniesta, Ashley Cole, John Terry) - who would you say he resembles a bit closest to?
He’s an AM so the obvious comparison would be Lampard.
His attitude won him a lot of plaudits last weekend. He came on as a late substitute for the First team v Burnley and then asked to play for the u23’s an hour or two later and promptly scored a hat trick v Leicester. It’s on You Tube if you want to see it.
in addition to this he‘s also scored nice goals for the First XI v Wycombe in Carabao and Brugge in Champions League.
He, James McAtee and Romeo Lavia are the most talked about players in our Academy at the moment.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
He’s an AM so the obvious comparison would be Lampard.
His attitude won him a lot of plaudits last weekend. He came on as a late substitute for the First team v Burnley and then asked to play for the u23’s an hour or two later and promptly scored a hat trick v Leicester. It’s on You Tube if you want to see it.
in addition to this he‘s also scored nice goals for the First XI v Wycombe in Carabao and Brugge in Champions League.
He, James McAtee and Romeo Lavia are the most talked about players in our Academy at the moment.
Liam Delap has to be in that category as well.

Classical Mechanic

I don't think Cole Palmer is like Lampard at all. I think his best position is as an inverted wide right forward. I'd say he's most like Mahrez style-wise. He likes to cut in and score with his left foot, he also goes past players in the box with similar technique to Mahrez and scores from tight angles.

His goal on his England u21 debut shows some of what I mean.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
I don't think Cole Palmer is like Lampard at all. I think his best position is as an inverted wide right forward. I'd say he's most like Mahrez style-wise. He likes to cut in and score with his left foot, he also goes past players in the box with similar technique to Mahrez and scores from tight angles.

He does as you say but also makes storming runs from deep. I struggled to think of just one player to compare him to but he has a lot of skills in his locker, that's for sure.

Hammondo

That video makes him look like a CF.

Mark Wuhlberg

Supports
Manchester City
Him being perfectly fit last season is irrelevant, he was 20 years old and was being gradually integrated. Yet his minutes/number of games were still on the level with other players and that's proper enough. He's had more valuable experience than Sancho in the sense that he won trophies (Sancho didn't), he did so by benching players like Sterling and training with the likes of Guardiola, KDB, Mahrez, Silva, he played in the CL final (beating Dortmund with his goal on the way), and still got more minutes than Messi at his age.

With all his "skyrocketing development in the Bundesliga", Sancho isn't as ready for the Premier league as Foden, therefore not yet a starter for United while Foden is already a starter for City against the likes of Liverpool and PSG, benching the likes of Sterling.

Last edited:

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
What are his disciplinary issues?
He has a bit of a temper in him but I don't think it's something he wouldn't outgrow eventually. If anything it's injuries that are sadly fecking up his City career. Whenever it looked he might get a look in, an injury came. Even now as another striker candidate in Torres is out for weeks too.

padr81

Supports
Man City

I'd agree if he reminds me of any attacker in the league its probably Salah though Mahrez is not a bad shout. He's just more direct than Mahrez which is where the Salah thing comes from. Obviously he doesn't have Salah's ability but out wide or up top he gives me those vibes. He can adapt more centrally too but he excels with space to take players on outside. Also probably the best finisher at City currently, I suspect like Foden he'll be managed for another couple of seasons.

padr81

Supports
Man City
As good as he is I can't see him making it at City. His injuries and disciplinary problems have held him back for a while and he's now got some catching up to do.
He's a bit hot headed by times but so was Rooney and it never did him any harm. I think he's been unlucky that injuries have happened right when he's on the edge but of the 3 (himself, Foden and Palmer) I would say he is the least likely to make it at City long term. It would be a dream to see the 3 of them actually make it to that level as our front first choice front 3, but Delap is the least Pep like of the bunch and I could see Pep prefer someone like Palmer up top. If he's fit I'd love to see him get a chance vs West Ham in the cup though.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
He's a bit hot headed by times but so was Rooney and it never did him any harm. I think he's been unlucky that injuries have happened right when he's on the edge but of the 3 (himself, Foden and Palmer) I would say he is the least likely to make it at City long term. It would be a dream to see the 3 of them actually make it to that level as our front first choice front 3, but Delap is the least Pep like of the bunch and I could see Pep prefer someone like Palmer up top. If he's fit I'd love to see him get a chance vs West Ham in the cup though.
If I remember rightly he was in a good place to get some first team action last season but rashly got him himself a red card in an Academy game and missed out. Then came the injuries and illness that has checked his progress ever since.
I still maintain that Palmer will be an AM not a winger of CF.

padr81

Supports
Man City
If I remember rightly he was in a good place to get some first team action last season but rashly got him himself a red card in an Academy game and missed out. Then came the injuries and illness that has checked his progress ever since.
I still maintain that Palmer will be an AM not a winger of CF.
Could well be but maybe after Pep, I think like Foden he'll start out wide or false 9 and move into midfield as he gets older. Right now he's behind KDB, Gundo, Foden, Bernardo and possibly Grealish for the 2 attacking midfield roles given we don't play with a 10. His best chance is the f9 or Mahrez/Jesus RW spot if Jesus gets pushed back inside.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Two goals and an assist away at Brighton. Tough fixture and he was brilliant.
Top class first half, 2nd half struggled a bit (like the rest of the team). Maybe a little greedy for the hattrick towards the end but another good showing. Should have maybe scored 4 but thats being super critical.

ToToMarshall

He’s the 3rd best young talent in the world after Mbappé & Haaland for me.

Stupidly good footballer already, not sure there’s many teams in the world he isn’t an automatic starter for as either a winger or midfielder.

Worst bit about it is that his dad’s a red but he followed City as a kid because of his mum. His dad failed.