Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

dalriada

His career looked to have revived under Mourinho, especially his 2nd season, but he's been plagued by injuries before and since, as far back as 2012. He's a decent, old fashioned centre back but hasn't adapted well to the modern game. He's 28, which is OK for a defender, but time has passed without him doing very much and he's clearly on Ole's list of least favourite players. I still haven't figured out the apparent pitch-side spat between them just after Dalot's goal against Tranmere, but it's the only time I've seen what looks like a public row between a player and Ole, who is very careful to keep disagreements internal.

I would think the club are looking to sell him this summer, as Ole clearly has no intention of playing him unless he has to. If Rojo goes, which is likely, and Smalling doesn't come back, we go from 7 centre backs to 4, and one of those is Tuanzebe, who Ole clearly likes but has his own injury issues. Hence Teden Mengi popping up around the first team, which is a good indication of where Ole's thinking is.

You do wonder who would take the risk with Jones, who may be tempted to sit out his contract.

Gordon S

Would be fantastic if the poor fecker could get a break with the injuries now and could get some regular playing time somewhere.

el3mel

If there's any stupid club who's interested then just sell. He has no business being here.

stevoc

He's made 16 appearance across 3 seasons for United since signing that contract 2 years ago.

That picture should be hung in the boardroom to remind those running the club that dishing out new contracts to protect 'value' it isn't always a good idea.

Robindinho

If you don’t laugh, you’ll cry. So... :lol:

I’d honestly forgot he was still here. Not that he’ll be playing anyway - just taking Mengi’s place probably.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
He is a warrior and exactly what we need at the moment. Having the silky skills of Bruno or the occasional flash of brilliance from Pogba can’t make up for the fact that they go missing. Jonesy never goes missing, ever (apart from when he’s injured).

Hughes35

The only club in world football with the funds and stupidity to sign Phil Jones in the year 2021 would be Man Utd.

If he was a horse, he'd have been turned to glue long ago.

stevoc

He is a warrior and exactly what we need at the moment. Having the silky skills of Bruno or the occasional flash of brilliance from Pogba can’t make up for the fact that they go missing. Jonesy never goes missing, ever (apart from when he’s injured).
So the majority of the time.

96 appearances in the last 5 and a half seasons.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Absolutely this player is a modern day miracle and probably benefitted from the mangerial churn.

He is probably the player that has contributed the least of all those that made it to testimonial time. His career has been a car crash on the playing side but nice and lucrative.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
What was Fergie smoking?
We smacked Blackburn 7-1 and Jones was encouraging seasoned professionals like Samba and Nelsen after each goal they conceded. Elite mentality.

Forget the fact he conceded 7 for a second.

For what it's worth, Fergie couldn't have known he'd be as injury prone as he is. When he's played with a run of games, he hasn't been that bad. Nowhere near "best ever United player" which was always nonsense.

I always find it funny we didn't go for Henderson that summer because someone told Fergie Henderson runs from his knees or something, which could cause more injuries in the future.

stevoc

Absolutely this player is a modern day miracle and probably benefitted from the mangerial churn.

He is probably the player that has contributed the least of all those that made it to testimonial time. His career has been a car crash on the playing side but nice and lucrative.
No probably about it and he's not the only one. Rojo, Lingard, Fellaini, Young and a few others all hung around longer than they would have done during a stable period at the club.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Been here 10 years. Testimonial in the summer?
He already said no because he said only his mum and dad would come. Sad really.

I'm not mad at Jones, it's the people who choose to give him a contract.

stevoc

He already said no because he said only his mum and dad would come. Sad really.

I'm not mad at Jones, it's the people who choose to give him a contract.
Then now is the perfect time to have it with no fans allowed in the stadiums.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can confirm that opening this thread and it going to the OP rather than new posts is a genuinely haunting experience.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ole clearly tried to get rid of him but couldn't.

Now he is acting nice on transfer window closing day.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It feels like Phil Jones bashes his knee with an iron pipe when the transfer deadline day is close. Then he can say he was in the treatment room and didn't hear his phone ring.

dev1l

Ole clearly tried to get rid of him but couldn't.

Now he is acting nice on transfer window closing day.
Agreed. We might also need him. Bailly and Tuanzebe are injury prone and I cannot see Lindelof starting all games from now till end of the season. (Assuming Maguire plays all remaining games)