Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

FiiiiveTenHaaags

Bwahaha, log into Red cafe and see I have multiple quote responses about Phil Jones. Oh what a life. So in response…

Once or twice a season when he's fit.
Our team has been shocking in this area - everyone is saying the new standards of fitness are real. I’d at least like to see if it helps him, although this ‘individual training regime’ he’s allegedly on says to me they’re just holding him back until literally any offer comes in.

Who cares does he "puts in a shift" ffs. That is bare minimum for every player. He is our 6th/7th option now. If he is not interested to change clubs then that shows his ambition
You don’t care if players put in a shift? Ok pal! ‘Should be the bare minimum’ is all well and good but in the actual real world we both know that’s been far from the case for a lot of our lads. Therefore, the fact he does is worth pointing out.
He's now here, over 11 years :eek:
Yeah this is mad. I remember my mate who supported City used to rinse me for them signing Aguero and us getting Big Phil. Fun times.

How does keeping him around the squad with him never playing help? We might as well extend his contract if he's got his uses hanging around the place and never needing to actually play. We are Manchester United. We need to represent the highest standards. We aren't a leisure centre where players can pop in for training, get a massage and that's their job done.
Obviously. Did you see his match last season? Would you agree he looked better than Varane in that game? If he got more opportunities he’d put more work in, fact. Having an experienced England international CB around is a good thing. Don’t talk about Maguire here - they are not the same. Having a link to how Fergie thought and did things is valuable.
You’re wasting your time, the (unnecessary) hate is strong
Yep, and it strikes me as the sort of social media fans who are like ‘oh a funny twitter account put a picture of him pulling some faces up, let’s hate on him’. Fergie saw the potential in Jones, admittedly slightly over the top (potentially the best ever United player if I remember haha)

And after that appearance, he was put back in the cupboard. I don't recall that he got injured again. After that performance, I don't understand why he didn't get any time afterwards. Particularly as poorly as the whole squad was doing.

That said, DC United could use just about anything in defense. Heck, a couple of cardboard cutouts could probably improve their scoreline. They've shipped 41 goals in 19 games. Jones would be an upgrade for them on the field and probably in the dressing room.
Exactly. Because, frankly, Ralf talked a good game but couldn’t walk the walk. He didn’t make the right calls and didn’t manage to get his style of football played at all.

MLS is still a joke to me, I don’t know if it’s got better but they used to show some matches in the gym I went to in Bulgaria and the standard was low and the fan culture was beyond cringe. Like manufactured ultra groups for teams that didn’t exist yet. Ridiculous.

I’m loving my life

The big question is: if Richard Arnold asked you who out of PJ and Ronaldo he should slap down a five year contract for today, who would you choose?

FiiiiveTenHaaags

The big question is: if Richard Arnold asked you who out of PJ and Ronaldo he should slap down a five year contract for today, who would you choose?
Wow PJ haha that is the weirdest way of referrring to him for some reason. Not criticising you just sounds so funny to think of him as ‘PJ’ in my mind.

Obviously big Phil. He’s only 30!!! CBs can go till 35 just about, admittedly not so much with his health record.

But a 43 year old Ronaldo can feck right off.

redcucumber

Bwahaha, log into Red cafe and see I have multiple quote responses about Phil Jones. Oh what a life. So in response…

Obviously. Did you see his match last season? Would you agree he looked better than Varane in that game? If he got more opportunities he’d put more work in, fact. Having an experienced England international CB around is a good thing. Don’t talk about Maguire here - they are not the same. Having a link to how Fergie thought and did things is valuable.

Yep, and it strikes me as the sort of social media fans who are like ‘oh a funny twitter account put a picture of him pulling some faces up, let’s hate on him’. Fergie saw the potential in Jones, admittedly slightly over the top (potentially the best ever United player if I remember haha)
What a load of bullshit. None of those comments you quoted had anything to do with hate, or tearing down Phil Jones personally and referring to him as a meme. It's such crap that so often in a debate people will refer to something along the lines of "huh must be internet fans, not real fans". It's like.. is that seriously how you conversate? Anytime someone disagrees with you you just automatically assume they are inauthentic and are driven by some sort of agenda? It's childish and stifles debate.

I don't even know what to say to the notion of keeping Phil Jones around because it's a connection to Fergie. It's insane reasoning. Besides, Fergie might have become slightly more sentimental in his latter years, but he was notoriously ruthless and kept United's squad in tip top shape. Using Fergie as a reason to keep Jones around is so bizarre I hardly know what to say in response.

Gator Nate

Exactly. Because, frankly, Ralf talked a good game but couldn’t walk the walk. He didn’t make the right calls and didn’t manage to get his style of football played at all.
Towards the end, I wasn't really sure what Ralf was trying to do. I'm not sure he even knew what he was trying to do with all the ETH stuff going on.

MLS is still a joke to me, I don’t know if it’s got better but they used to show some matches in the gym I went to in Bulgaria and the standard was low and the fan culture was beyond cringe. Like manufactured ultra groups for teams that didn’t exist yet. Ridiculous.
I'd say more than half of the MLS is a joke, but there are a few teams that seem to be on the right track. The two primary issues that will always hold the MLS back are the competition from other major professional sports and the franchise model MLS uses combined with its arcane roster/salary rules, which is largely patterned after those other sports. The first one can be dealt with, the latter probably can't.

AFC NimbleThumb

Am I the only person who respects Phil Jones?

His contract isn’t his fault so don’t blame him for that.

Yes, he’s been injured a lot. But it’s not like he’s injuring himself ffs
The maddest part is a number of posters that slate Jones will call for more respect for a Maguire.

It’s fine to want a player to go but too often lately it comes with a vitriol that quite honestly makes it easy to see why this fanbase is so disliked.

He’s had a torrid time with injuries but is actually one of the few members of our squad who’ve won something for the club.

FiiiiveTenHaaags

What a load of bullshit. None of those comments you quoted had anything to do with hate, or tearing down Phil Jones personally and referring to him as a meme. It's such crap that so often in a debate people will refer to something along the lines of "huh must be internet fans, not real fans". It's like.. is that seriously how you conversate? Anytime someone disagrees with you you just automatically assume they are inauthentic and are driven by some sort of agenda? It's childish and stifles debate.

I don't even know what to say to the notion of keeping Phil Jones around because it's a connection to Fergie. It's insane reasoning. Besides, Fergie might have become slightly more sentimental in his latter years, but he was notoriously ruthless and kept United's squad in tip top shape. Using Fergie as a reason to keep Jones around is so bizarre I hardly know what to say in response.
Not exactly stifling debate if I engage with every response in turn, is it mate? Good lord you must have woke up on the wrong side of bed that day! Wasn’t an attack on you pal haha - to be clear I’m referring to the criticism of Phil Jones in general not necessarily on here.

We can agree to disagree on whether keeping a 30 year old defender hand picked by Fergie who experienced his methods and standards firsthand is a good thing or not. I think it is, fair play if you don’t.

Also, conversate is an informal American verb form of the infinitive ‘to converse’ just FYI…are you American or British?

Towards the end, I wasn't really sure what Ralf was trying to do. I'm not sure he even knew what he was trying to do with all the ETH stuff going on.

I'd say more than half of the MLS is a joke, but there are a few teams that seem to be on the right track. The two primary issues that will always hold the MLS back are the competition from other major professional sports and the franchise model MLS uses combined with its arcane roster/salary rules, which is largely patterned after those other sports. The first one can be dealt with, the latter probably can't.
Yeah, to be fair I’ve always loved the draft and salary cap in the NFL (I used to be a hardcore Raiders fan for my sins, a bit more on the casual side these days), but it only works because it’s the biggest league. In the case of MLS where the major European leagues don’t have such a system it would only be a disadvantage I guess.

Having said that, I’ve heard that as the Latino demographic grows in the USA “soccer” might eventually be the most popular sport based on their population growth. Let’s see! I’ll never forget the Freddy Adu hype and signing him back in the day on CM haha. Good memories!

He really isn't
Did you watch the match he started with Varane last season? He was the best player on the pitch. Therefore, yes, he’s a good emergency back up player.

The maddest part is a number of posters that slate Jones will call for more respect for a Maguire.

It’s fine to want a player to go but too often lately it comes with a vitriol that quite honestly makes it easy to see why this fanbase is so disliked.

He’s had a torrid time with injuries but is actually one of the few members of our squad who’ve won something for the club.
Yep, exactly. People gave Pogba etc a lot more leeway it seems, and some of the Maguire stuff is ridiculous. Yes, he had a shit season. Yes, he does my nut in when he does stuff like that sliding celebration after scoring for England. Yes, the thought of him screaming ‘feck the police’ and scrapping with the Greek old bill is hysterical.

However, Jose wanted him a lot, we obviously signed him subsequent to Jose leaving, and he’s favoured in the England set up in the past.

I don’t love Maguire and if he has another bad season we should maybe rethink things. Also not thrilled about him staying captain. But more than willing to give him another chance this year.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Did you watch the match he started with Varane last season? He was the best player on the pitch. Therefore, yes, he’s a good emergency back up player.
That's a little overstated. I remember that game well: we lost 1-0 against Wolves. Jones was a 6/10 in a game where all other United players were below a 5/10. However, there were still several players on the pitch who played better than Jones in that game: they all played for Wolves.

I would much rather have a kid from the under 18s as an emergency backup over Jones.

FiiiiveTenHaaags

That's a little overstated. I remember that game well: we lost 1-0 against Wolves. Jones was a 6/10 in a game where all other United players were below a 5/10. However, there were still several players on the pitch who played better than Jones in that game: they all played for Wolves.

I would much rather have a kid from the under 18s as an emergency backup over Jones.
Fair - I meant best player for us, thanks for pointing that out mate.

Paul_Scholes18

He should follow Lingard and join Forest or Fulham. He would be great for them if fit.

Of course his injury record is so bad noone might risk it.

Ricardo de la Vega

Got no problem with PJ. Feel for the man; he could have been great but for injury. Not his fault the club were dumb and gave him this contract, and what do you want him to do? Tear it up, go on a free and start again somewhere else? His body could break down any minute, he needs to think of his financial future. Our fault not his.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
So he's still being paid and isn't expected to show up for training ?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Got no problem with PJ. Feel for the man; he could have been great but for injury. Not his fault the club were dumb and gave him this contract, and what do you want him to do? Tear it up, go on a free and start again somewhere else? His body could break down any minute, he needs to think of his financial future. Our fault not his.
But he could have moved on a long time ago to save his football career. Not feeling sorry for him at all

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
His future is secure. I don't think the man is worried about it. Probably made enough to last few lifetimes. He probably approached by countless investment/Real estate people over the years. Man is settled for life. Good for him.

OverratedOpinion

Do we know if he's rejected any moves? I thought I heard something about a French team but my memory is crap.

avgp_1

Sky are quoting from The Sun. Sounds way more dramatic than it must be surely

Idxomer

I like that Ten Hag isn't playing nice with just anyone, quite a contrast from what we've seen in the last few years.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

The first-team dressing room at United's training ground can only accommodate 24 players and with the Red Devils bringing in six new faces in recent weeks, Ten Hag has had to force out some members of his squad.

The report states that Jones and third-choice left-back Brandon Williams have fallen victim to the switch-up, as have Axel Tuanzebe, Teden Mengi and Shola Shoretire.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If fit,he is a better option than Maguire and Lindelof. Don't know why people blame him for his injury record. Blame the management for giving him a contract.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I hope its not as harsh as it sounds but I do think its the correct thing to do. We need to be ruthless and we need to have standards.

I honestly think that if I was a player in that dressing room, his very presence would bring me down a bit. I would just wonder how he's still here, is it really possible to do so little for this club and not face any consequences. It's indicative of the standards we set.

Him not being around is a good thing. Ideally though we'd just terminate his contract.

TsuWave

I know the thread title shouldn’t have made me laugh, but it did :lol: Now I feel bad :(

Kaos

The first-team dressing room at United's training ground can only accommodate 24 players and with the Red Devils bringing in six new faces in recent weeks, Ten Hag has had to force out some members of his squad.

The report states that Jones and third-choice left-back Brandon Williams have fallen victim to the switch-up, as have Axel Tuanzebe, Teden Mengi and Shola Shoretire.
That article also states that we apparently paid £57million for Malacia :lol: :houllier:

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
In some aspects our club is terrible dealing with situations like this and we are not serious enough.

You cannot have Phil Jones on 75 000 $ per week doing nothing and warming up the bench for the last 5 years.

We need to act like Barca and terminate the contracts on players like him to show the others that we mean business and we are changing step by step cuz they are not here for a holiday.

If you want to play for United you need to deserve it else get out !

Orange Tree

Smells like bs. We had spaces open because of the players left this season. Those players mentioned, bar Jones and Shoretire, are players who went on loan last season.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
No ill feelings toward PJ but this is surely for the best? There's no way he can still have a future here so it makes sense to remove all non influential / critical players out. To be fair, it's pretty basic management but it's good to see ETH making these influential decisions, he's totally focussed on getting the dynamics of the dressing room right.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
If fit,he is a better option than Maguire and Lindelof. Don't know why people blame him for his injury record. Blame the management for giving him a contract.
A better player than Maguire. Shame the injuries have ruined his career. Shame he didn’t get a move somewhere where he could play regularly.

Yakuza_devils

I have never seen a more injury prone player than Jones. And miraculously have been given contract after contract to fill our treatment room.

Alemar

It’s very good if ETH indeed kicked him out. We can’t tolerate mediocrity any longer, not under ten Hag

Chairman Steve

He can’t have any complaints really. Injuries are out of his control for the most part but I think it provides problems in the dressing room if there’s guys in there that get paid less than Jones and they play regularly (McT and Dalot).

No-one truly knows the inner workings of the dressing room but it can’t be too harmonious if there’s a guy in there who is potentially just sitting there collecting considerable wages every week and may have mentally checked out of football altogether at this point.

diarm

Smells like bs. We had spaces open because of the players left this season. Those players mentioned, bar Jones and Shoretire, are players who went on loan last season.
I was wondering about this. Which 4 of the following was kicked out of the changing room last season?

1. David De Gea
2. Victor Lindelof
3. Eric Bailly
4. Phil Jones
5. Harry Maguire
6. Paul Pogba
7. Cristiano Ronaldo
8. Juan Mata
9. Anthony Martial
10. Marcus Rashford
11. Mason Greenwood
12. Lee Grant
13. Jesse Lingard
14. Fred
15. Bruno Fernandes
16. Raphael Varane
17. Diogo Dalot
18. Edinson Cavani
19. Tom Heaton
20. Luke Shaw
21. Jadon Sancho
22. Dean Henderson
23. Alex Telles
24. Aaron Wan-Bissaka
25. Nemanja Matic
26. Donny van de Beek
27. Anthony Elanga
28. Scott McTominay

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I hope its not as harsh as it sounds but I do think its the correct thing to do. We need to be ruthless and we need to have standards.

I honestly think that if I was a player in that dressing room, his very presence would bring me down a bit. I would just wonder how he's still here, is it really possible to do so little for this club and not face any consequences. It's indicative of the standards we set.

Him not being around is a good thing. Ideally though we'd just terminate his contract.
Seems like the sensible thing to do. Pay it up. Release him. Surely would be less embarrassing than for him to go sit with the reserves at 30 years old. Everybody wins.