Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If fit,he is a better option than Maguire and Lindelof. Don't know why people blame him for his injury record. Blame the management for giving him a contract.
Absolutely rubbish.

Maguire has reached Euro Finals and won PL’s with Leicester City.

Jones is nothing compared to Maguire even if no one rates him. And his injuries are due to it - just the standard of football and a players fitness.

kunal18

12 years at the club. 6 PL games in 4 seasons.
What is it that people at the club saw in him to keep him for so long?
Why dint they keep Jonny Evans if they wanted a homegrown squad center back ?

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Absolutely rubbish.

Jones is nothing compared to Maguire even if no one rates him. And his injuries are due to it - just the standard of football and a players fitness.
Nope, he joined Leicester in 2017 and they won the title in 2016

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Absolutely rubbish.

So is Wes Morgan, Albrighton and Simpson. Means feck all, from an individual skill standpoint.

Euro finals- since when is reaching finals considered as an accomplishment.

Now if you still want to stick to you point, Jones also has a PL, FA cup, community shield and Europa League.

Edit- Maguire didn't win the PL. @horsechoker thanks.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

The first-team dressing room at United's training ground can only accommodate 24 players and with the Red Devils bringing in six new faces in recent weeks, Ten Hag has had to force out some members of his squad.

The report states that Jones and third-choice left-back Brandon Williams have fallen victim to the switch-up, as have Axel Tuanzebe, Teden Mengi and Shola Shoretire.
Yeah that sounds like absolute nonsense.

Even if we brought in 6 players - we lost Lingard, Pogba, Mata, Cavani, Matic, Telles and Bailly - 7 players, all of which would have been in the first team dressing room.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Absolutely rubbish.

Been there done that. I also thought the same! Turns out they bought him the season after.

Further makes you think why he was scouted to be purchased.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I have never seen a more injury prone player than Jones. And miraculously have been given contract after contract to fill our treatment room.
I'm convinced the people at the club see him as a guinea pig. Doctors and physios are kept on their toes as they get to treat one freak injury after another. So whenever one of the actual footballers at the club get unusual injuries they have the experience and reference point.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Headline makes it worse than it is. He’s not going to be available more than Lindelof and Maguire and the next option after them would ideally be a young CB at the club. His time is up at the club and possibly his career. Not that deep.

RoyH1

I have never seen a more injury prone player than Jones. And miraculously have been given contract after contract to fill our treatment room.
That's the bit I don't get. Why did we keep extending his contract with his injury record? Baffling!

Nick7

Seems like the sensible thing to do. Pay it up. Release him. Surely would be less embarrassing than for him to go sit with the reserves at 30 years old. Everybody wins.
I presume we're trying to do the right thing and get him fit to hopefully get a contract at another club when he does leave. If we paid him off now he's screwed. It's not really hurting anyone keeping him on the books and letting him try to get healthy.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Got no problem with PJ. Feel for the man; he could have been great but for injury. Not his fault the club were dumb and gave him this contract, and what do you want him to do? Tear it up, go on a free and start again somewhere else? His body could break down any minute, he needs to think of his financial future. Our fault not his.
Is there any other example of a club paying wages to a perma injured player?

It happens all the time where players get injured and can never play again. I am sure clubs look after players in some way but to leave them on the books get a fortune in wage is mental.

Injury goes with the territory

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
12 years at the club. 6 PL games in 4 seasons.
What is it that people at the club saw in him to keep him for so long?
Why dint they keep Jonny Evans if they wanted a homegrown squad center back ?
I had asked someone who is very close to SAF. The answer was that it was done above Ole's head (although the guy is pretty much an ole fan) and that Jones has friends at very high places

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Sounds like bullshit. And if his body is holding up, there’s no way he isn’t outshining other defenders in training. In fact, it’s quite weird how little PT he got last season when he’s looked very much the part in his fleeting cameos. He’s also one of few natural front-foot defenders at the club.

I have to assume he’s crocked if he’s demoted.

Craig Ward

Gone are the days where we can debate if Jones has a use here, he's barely kicked a ball in 4 seasons.

I'm all for this from Ten Hag - if your not contributing to the squad get out.

Correct decision

Red_toad

I had asked someone who is very close to SAF. The answer was that it was done above Ole's head (although the guy is pretty much an ole fan) and that Jones has friends at very high places
Wish I had a mate who’d get me a job training at United a few hours a day and getting front row seats every match, plus the lavish wage on top of that… I’m calling BS on that rumour.

CarbonStoolBites

“Kicked out” cute clickbait.

If fit,he is a better option than Maguire and Lindelof. Don't know why people blame him for his injury record. Blame the management for giving him a contract.
No he isn’t, come on now.
Also he’s literally never fit, he could be prime Baresi but what’s the point if he doesn’t want / Can’t play.

Phil Jones over Varane was a poor transfer, perhaps in hindsight, but it is what it is.
Smalling has always been the better pure defender of the two, less prone to brainfarts, more athletic and absolutely rapid.
Whose bright idea was it to hand Jones a new contract and sell Smalling for peanuts?

Mind boggling stuff honestly, since Ole clearly never intended to play anything but counter attacking football.

The Firestarter

How many contracts did he sign? This is one of the more bizarre situations in the club, which coach renewed him last?

pascell

Absolutely rubbish.

Bought the season after and also suffered four relegation in his career

jeff_goldblum

If we have 24 spaces in the dressing room, I'd ideally want them to be taken up by the 24 players who are going to contribute most over the course of the season. Jones has played 13 games for us in total in the last 3 seasons. I feel for the lad, but I'm sure we have 24 players on the books more likely to play more this year.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I know this sub loves to blame Ole for everything but come on.

The players signing contracts is down to Woody trying to protect assets but failing to realise assets are only assets if they are wanted by others and you can move them on.
Yeah, Woodward had a weird obsession with that. It clearly wasn't on Ole. He did the same thing to Jose with Martial.

The irony of it all is that he did it to raise their market value and their contracts were so massive that it became impossible to then sell any of them on.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He has one more year living the United dream on a big wage.
After that it's such a lotto of whether he'll get a new deal anywhere, and on what money, that you can certainly understand why it'd be insanity to leave early.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Wish I had a mate who’d get me a job training at United a few hours a day and getting front row seats every match, plus the lavish wage on top of that… I’m calling BS on that rumour.
You are free to build your own opinion. If you ask mine, well, I have no doubt that this guy has close connections with SAF. I saw that myself when SAF visited Malta and I saw him seated near SAF a couple of times while watching the game on telly. There seem to be a job for the boys mentality as well. After all Rangnick himself said that he struggled to understand what Fletcher's role is not to forget that Phelan is still here despite not being anywhere near to ETH's coaching staff. What I do question is Ole's lack of involvement into Jones's deal. Surely someone who got the job through this way would be demanded to back those who wanted another matey of theirs to get a contract extension. As said this guy is an Ole loyalist. He still believe that he would have been able to turn things around especially if we allowed him full access to the funds we gave to ETH.

DevilRed

Imagine feeling sorry for players who get paid more in a week than most working class people get paid in a year.

Like every top level cutthroat business, if you’re not performing you get the boot. The fact of the matter is we’ve been accommodating too many freeloaders for years now.

Gavinb33

Imagine feeling sorry for players who get paid more in a week than most working class people get paid in a year.

Like every top level cutthroat business, if you’re not performing you get the boot. The fact of the matter is we’ve been accommodating too many freeloaders for years now.
Yet is still a human being with very real feelings, look at how many celebrities commit suicide or suffer from some kind of mental health issue, being rich doesn't mean you have no troubles or mental health issues

DevilRed

Yet is still a human being with very real feelings, look at how many celebrities commit suicide or suffer from some kind of mental health issue, being rich doesn't mean you have no troubles or mental health issues
Imagine how many more folks who are poor go through mental issues on a daily basis.:rolleyes:

but because hello magazine didn’t write an article about it, you fail to realise.

mu4c_20le

There seem to be a job for the boys mentality as well. After all Rangnick himself said that he struggled to understand what Fletcher's role is not to forget that Phelan is still here despite not being anywhere near to ETH's coaching staff.
Besides bailing out Ralf, who was overawed by the tempo and intensity of the Premier League?

Member 101269

Headline makes it worse than it is. He’s not going to be available more than Lindelof and Maguire and the next option after them would ideally be a young CB at the club. His time is up at the club and possibly his career. Not that deep.
If he was thinking of his career he would have gone.

I didn't realise he played for Ribble Wanderers. That would have been the early days of RWs.

arnie_ni

In some aspects our club is terrible dealing with situations like this and we are not serious enough.

You cannot have Phil Jones on 75 000 $ per week doing nothing and warming up the bench for the last 5 years.

We need to act like Barca and terminate the contracts on players like him to show the others that we mean business and we are changing step by step cuz they are not here for a holiday.

If you want to play for United you need to deserve it else get out !
If only he warmed the bench.