Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

Andersonson

We don't have a clue about what really goes on here and whats true or not. I suspect that its a mental health issue of some sort. Maybe the guy is at a really bad place and the club wants to take care of him. I dont know. Woodward and Ole has been out of this club for over a year now and he is still here, so it can be something else then he being a "freeloader"

Skills

Snitch
fair but do you find Jones better than Maguire as well?
Jones is far more talented than Maguire ever was. He's fecked at this point though with the lack of football and the number of injuries he's had. So Maguire's naturally going to be the better option

Varun1

Absolutely rubbish.

Maguire has reached Euro Finals and won PL’s with Leicester City.

Jones is nothing compared to Maguire even if no one rates him. And his injuries are due to it - just the standard of football and a players fitness.
Probably not after his injuries, but Jones was much better than Maguire or Lindelof. Martinez reminds me of Jones.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
A proper manager comes in and gets him out of that dressing room not surprised.

mu4c_20le

You think that Fletcher bailed Ralf out?
In the heat of a Premier League contest, split-seconds can count for a lot. In that West Ham game, with the score 0-0, Rangnick prepared to replace Cristiano Ronaldo with Jesse Lingard as the clock ticked to 80 minutes. The data showed Ronaldo was tiring.

First-team coach Mike Phelan, standing against the red bricks of the raised dugout at Old Trafford, had detected another solution. He suggested to technical director Darren Fletcher that Anthony Martial was a better replacement because David Moyes had sent on Ryan Fredericks. Knowing Fredericks as a full-back who liked to get forward, Phelan believed gaps would open up on United’s left and Martial would drift that way naturally, whereas Lingard preferred to run more centrally.

Fletcher relayed the message, Rangnick listened, and Phelan provided the necessary pep talk to Martial, who at that point was in negotiations over an exit to Sevilla and had publicly rowed with United’s interim manager. It was judged Ronaldo should stay on given the need for a goal but he would be supported by Edinson Cavani so West Ham had two strikers to worry about and more space up top should appear. Mason Greenwood came off instead.

United scored an injury-time winner when Marcus Rashford finished off a move involving Ronaldo, Cavani and Martial down the left. Having originally sidelined Phelan, Rangnick grew to rely on the 59-year-old.
https://theathletic.com/3326843/202...d-inside-ralf-rangnick-spell-interim-manager/

I believe Fletcher and Phelan are there to make sure the wheels don't fall off. They are loyal to the club, where Ralf is loyal to himself, not that there is anything wrong with that, he is after all an outsider employed by the club to do a job.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
You are free to build your own opinion. If you ask mine, well, I have no doubt that this guy has close connections with SAF. I saw that myself when SAF visited Malta and I saw him seated near SAF a couple of times while watching the game on telly. There seem to be a job for the boys mentality as well. After all Rangnick himself said that he struggled to understand what Fletcher's role is not to forget that Phelan is still here despite not being anywhere near to ETH's coaching staff. What I do question is Ole's lack of involvement into Jones's deal. Surely someone who got the job through this way would be demanded to back those who wanted another matey of theirs to get a contract extension. As said this guy is an Ole loyalist. He still believe that he would have been able to turn things around especially if we allowed him full access to the funds we gave to ETH.
I had no idea he was still here now! But I remember reading that Phelan wasn't part of the training sessions under RR either.

Does he have an actual role at the club?

0le

You are free to build your own opinion. If you ask mine, well, I have no doubt that this guy has close connections with SAF. I saw that myself when SAF visited Malta and I saw him seated near SAF a couple of times while watching the game on telly. There seem to be a job for the boys mentality as well. After all Rangnick himself said that he struggled to understand what Fletcher's role is not to forget that Phelan is still here despite not being anywhere near to ETH's coaching staff. What I do question is Ole's lack of involvement into Jones's deal. Surely someone who got the job through this way would be demanded to back those who wanted another matey of theirs to get a contract extension. As said this guy is an Ole loyalist. He still believe that he would have been able to turn things around especially if we allowed him full access to the funds we gave to ETH.
:lol:

Some proper conspiracy theorist nonsense.

The most reasonable answer was already given:

The players signing contracts is down to Woody trying to protect assets but failing to realise assets are only assets if they are wanted by others and you can move them on.

CarbonStoolBites

I feel sorry for this guy.
Injuries messed up his head and his career
People go through setback, failure and disappointment all the time.
99% of people don’t even come close to achieving anything remotely comparable to what he had achieved, let alone what he was paid.
Most people in the west wake up, go to a 9-5 that they don’t enjoy, come home to watch the telly and go go sleep, maybe a decent vacation once or twice a year.
Lets not start even mentioning people in third world countries, yet no one really spares a thought.

Yet, we should all feel sorry for a guy who won PL titles, played under the greatest manager of all time, played for his country, played with some of the best players of their generation and is set for life, okie.
Cry me a river, because people go through shit all the time, some more than others but everyone does.

So he didn’t fulfill his potential and the later years of his career were ravaged by injuries, what a tragedy.
Lets put things in perspective, its only football.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
https://theathletic.com/3326843/202...d-inside-ralf-rangnick-spell-interim-manager/

I believe Fletcher and Phelan are there to make sure the wheels don't fall off. They are loyal to the club, where Ralf is loyal to himself, not that there is anything wrong with that, he is after all an outsider employed by the club to do a job.
How did you figure out that Rangnick was only loyal to himself? He said that the team needed major surgery. Guess what? After an humiliating defeat against Brendford he was proven right. We've signed 5 players this year and we'll probably sign more in January/next summer

GloryHunter07

The first-team dressing room at United's training ground can only accommodate 24 players and with the Red Devils bringing in six new faces in recent weeks, Ten Hag has had to force out some members of his squad.

The report states that Jones and third-choice left-back Brandon Williams have fallen victim to the switch-up, as have Axel Tuanzebe, Teden Mengi and Shola Shoretire.
Surely with Pogba, Matic, Mata, Bailly, Cavani, Lingard all going there should be space?

Grande

Yeah that sounds like absolute nonsense.

Even if we brought in 6 players - we lost Lingard, Pogba, Mata, Cavani, Matic, Telles and Bailly - 7 players, all of which would have been in the first team dressing room.
It’s clearly a bullshit text by The S*n. They would have us believe that there is only one first team dressing room, with space for 24 players. And that among those 24 players were Shoretire, Mengi, Williams, Tuanzebe and Jones. Despite Mengi, Williams and Tianzebe being out on loan the last season. And we should believe that these players had a regular place in this first team dressing room ahead of players like Mata, Bailly, Martial, Van de Beek, Mejbri and James (players 21-26 in the list of minutes played). And before Henderson and Heaton, who were in every troop? Evident concoction, mods should change thread title if there is nothing else.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
But he could have moved on a long time ago to save his football career. Not feeling sorry for him at all
There is no career to save. The guy is finished. He'll probably retire after the contract with us is up. The honourable thing for him would have been to call it a day in a bid to try and preserve his legacy with us. He chose not to and to be frank at this point its too late.

Halftrack

People go through setback, failure and disappointment all the time.
99% of people don’t even come close to achieving anything remotely comparable to what he had achieved, let alone what he was paid.
Most people in the west wake up, go to a 9-5 that they don’t enjoy, come home to watch the telly and go go sleep, maybe a decent vacation once or twice a year.
Lets not start even mentioning people in third world countries, yet no one really spares a thought.

Yet, we should all feel sorry for a guy who won PL titles, played under the greatest manager of all time, played for his country, played with some of the best players of their generation and is set for life, okie.
Cry me a river, because people go through shit all the time, some more than others but everyone does.

So he didn’t fulfill his potential and the later years of his career were ravaged by injuries, what a tragedy.
Lets put things in perspective, its only football.
What an absolute trashfire of a post.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
My guess is "kicked" is a whole load of crap thought bout by a journalist desperate for a "power" verb. "Asked to move his kit" is probably more to the point, if anything

IrishRedDevil

Weird post. It would benefit him if that happened. Hed get wages owed through a termination.
I don't care if he gets paid in full. He doesn't deserve to be called a Manchester United player. He can sit at home and scratch himself for all I care.

dpansheth

Pretty fecking insane that there's only space for 24 players.
it could also be a new rule implemented by the boss , something like “you take first team duties then you stay here”. Kind of making everyone work harder and earn that dressing room spot.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I don't care if he gets paid in full. He doesn't deserve to be called a Manchester United player. He can sit at home and scratch himself for all I care.
Still doesn't change the fact he would be thankful if is contract got terminated.

Still a bit of an out there view. You don't like he's getting paid without playing so you want him to get paid without playing. Ok.

IrishRedDevil

Still doesn't change the fact he would be thankful if is contract got terminated.

Still a bit of an out there view. You don't like he's getting paid without playing so you want him to get paid without playing. Ok.
I want him to piss off out the door. Get it? Or shall I break it down for you further?

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Assuming his contract is 50% guaranteed … Imagine being paid 1.5m every year just to stay physically fit … and he can’t even do that. He has had an absolute beast of a career at United!

Nick7

it could also be a new rule implemented by the boss , something like “you take first team duties then you stay here”. Kind of making everyone work harder and earn that dressing room spot.
It says there is physically only space for 24 players, no?

stevoc

In some aspects our club is terrible dealing with situations like this and we are not serious enough.

You cannot have Phil Jones on 75 000 $ per week doing nothing and warming up the bench for the last 5 years.

We need to act like Barca and terminate the contracts on players like him to show the others that we mean business and we are changing step by step cuz they are not here for a holiday.

If you want to play for United you need to deserve it else get out !
Yeah that's not a thing that actually happens. A club can't just decide to terminate a players contract unilaterally.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Assuming his contract is 50% guaranteed … Imagine being paid 1.5m every year just to stay physically fit … and he can’t even do that. He has had an absolute beast of a career at United!
He is apparently paid about £4.5 a year.

stevoc

If fit,he is a better option than Maguire and Lindelof. Don't know why people blame him for his injury record. Blame the management for giving him a contract.
Yeah if fit, a long time ago maybe.

If fit should be the title of Phil's autobiography that's he's releasing next year.

If Fit: The Phil Jones Story.

dpansheth

It says there is physically only space for 24 players, no?
May be journalistic freedom?
My hypothesis is that ETH is making them earn everything and this action would align with that thought.

FatTails

From the best ever player to play for United to literally being moved to the basement.

Yeah that sounds like absolute nonsense.

Even if we brought in 6 players - we lost Lingard, Pogba, Mata, Cavani, Matic, Telles and Bailly - 7 players, all of which would have been in the first team dressing room.
Maybe the bit about the space issue but wouldn't be surprising at all if he's been kicked out because the manager doesn't want him in there. That has happened plenty of times in plenty of clubs, and ETH has been very vocal about creating a core of players with the right mentality. He won't want wasters like Jones poisoning the soup.

Yeah that's not a thing that actually happens. A club can't just decide to terminate a players contract unilaterally.
Of course it can, if it pays the remainder of the money owed. Most normal players will take some kind of mutual agreement to move on and play somewhere else though.

El Zoido

There is no career to save. The guy is finished. He'll probably retire after the contract with us is up. The honourable thing for him would have been to call it a day in a bid to try and preserve his legacy with us. He chose not to and to be frank at this point its too late.
What legacy? No way is he going to turndown a £75k a week contract offer, to preserve some kind of ”legacy”, who cares really. He’d be lucky to get a third of that at any other club if he moved, and probably would only be offered an appearance based salary. Nobody is taking such a huge pay cut when there’s an offer on the table. Any work he takes in retirement also will not come anywhere near to £75k a week. It’s entirely on the club.