g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

mu4c_20le

Meh, what he did is no different to what Micah Richards did to Villa in his last two three years, and people here still love him.

Wing Attack Plan R

Bullshit. His passion is a big fecking paycheque, could have went to France but refused I’m sure he could also play in the Championship but decides to stay at United until he’s actually kicked out the door.
Did he touch you inappropriately? Not sure where your anger is coming from. Why do you actually give a feck if he's collecting his paycheck?

Wing Attack Plan R

Rubbish. If his passion is to play football he could have ask for loan or transfer. His passion and desire to play football is zero. Even if he gets fit, he is not deluded that much that he would expect playing many games while being 5th or 6th option.

He is a leecher who used us as ATM. I mean, fair play to him, many of us would do the same but don't sell me stories about him as a poor guy who loves a club.
You are conveniently skipping the 'because of his injuries' part.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Brilliant decision if true.

I have no issue with Jones continuing to collect his contractually agreed salary - that's the club's stupidity, not his.

However, there's no reason for him to continue to have first team privileges. Standards are important. You earn your place in the dressing room.

Trophy Room

I still want to know what the feck is wrong with guy? I mean he played very well in 1 game last season and then disappeared again with injury.

So the player has to be in agreement yes?

Which means the club can't just decide to cancel someone's contract unilaterally.

Which was my point.
It can be cancelled unilaterally if the club pays the remainder of the contract.

RedMistyDevil

Based on this doctor's comments on Phil Jones' injuries and what they did to his knee, I didn't think he'd be able to carry on playing, and definitely not top level football. Him not wanting to leave is probably because he knows he's not going to get a similar contract elsewhere, and barring a huge payoff, I doubt management will be able terminate his contract.

So long as he keeps his head down and not leak stuff to the press, I cannot complain too much about him choosing the run down that contract Woodward gave him.

roseguy64

What injury was it? Why is he out for so long? Is he even training? What sort of injury takes 2.5 years to recover from?

How the feck did he get injured before preseason even started!?

So he was injured all of last season. Got fit, then somehow injured himself again before preseason tour began?

When is he going to be fit? Whats the timeline?

You must work for the fecking PR team.
It was a knee issue. Similar to what Ole had. He said that's why he had sympathy with Jones. He kept getting setbacks.

He didn't get injured before preseason. He was in the first few photos when Ten Hag started preseason training. Then he was left behind to work on a specific programme, like he did last preseason when he was working his way back to be fit for last season. He eventually got injured this time whereas he wasn't last year where he was available.

Why would I have that information on hand about his current injury? You're just lashing out because I knew all that info about him that's publicly available and you've been made to look ignorant. Tough.

roseguy64

Bullshit. His passion is a big fecking paycheque, could have went to France but refused I’m sure he could also play in the Championship but decides to stay at United until he’s actually kicked out the door.
That was one time. Previously he had no reason to leave United before the major injury that kept him out for more than a year. He was a regular enough player that he was involved in the England team.

What team is gonna sign a player that was injured? The only real chance he had to leave was last January and this summer. This summer he was injured so didn't end up leaving even if he wanted to. Same with Brandon Williams and Axel Tuanzebe.

People getting upset for illogical reasons. He was getting games when not injured. Then had a major injury and then last season was really the only time at United that he wasn't getting games.

Dr. StrangeHate

I keep saying that but in this case, it is not up to club (except the fact that we gave him this ridiculous contract). Jones simply doesn't want to go. He is happy collecting money for nothing. He knows that his playing days are finished.
I wouldn't be surprised if he retires next year.
I am getting FDJ vibes.

roseguy64

The only real problem is that his contract should not have been renewed last time it was up for renewal. Should have been allowed to run out that summer but it wasn't.

Deery

Dreary
That was one time. Previously he had no reason to leave United before the major injury that kept him out for more than a year. He was a regular enough player that he was involved in the England team.

What team is gonna sign a player that was injured? The only real chance he had to leave was last January and this summer. This summer he was injured so didn't end up leaving even if he wanted to. Same with Brandon Williams and Axel Tuanzebe.

People getting upset for illogical reasons. He was getting games when not injured. Then had a major injury and then last season was really the only time at United that he wasn't getting games.
That wasn’t his reason for refusing he said he wanted to stay a United and fight for his place which we all know is a joke as he wouldn’t get in the side. He could have went out and really tried to rekindle his career but chose not to.

And now if he isn’t even involved in training then he’s absolutely no use to the club at all, at least if he was playing training matches it would get others fit.

Tibs

Take away his free parking and staff discount for the mega store

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
People go through setback, failure and disappointment all the time.
99% of people don’t even come close to achieving anything remotely comparable to what he had achieved, let alone what he was paid.
Most people in the west wake up, go to a 9-5 that they don’t enjoy, come home to watch the telly and go go sleep, maybe a decent vacation once or twice a year.
Lets not start even mentioning people in third world countries, yet no one really spares a thought.

Yet, we should all feel sorry for a guy who won PL titles, played under the greatest manager of all time, played for his country, played with some of the best players of their generation and is set for life, okie.
Cry me a river, because people go through shit all the time, some more than others but everyone does.

So he didn’t fulfill his potential and the later years of his career were ravaged by injuries, what a tragedy.
Lets put things in perspective, its only football.
This is such a nonsense argument. Firstly, plenty of people do spare a thought for people struggling in developing countries.
Secondly, feeling sympathy for a footballer whose career has been ravaged by injuries and empathising with the potential mental impact that's had on him does not mean you're not aware that others have to deal with more significant hardships.

And it's not only football. It's a real person, who is no doubt fully aware of the mocking he's subjected to on social and traditional media.

RedOrange

Of course it can, if it pays the remainder of the money owed. Most normal players will take some kind of mutual agreement to move on and play somewhere else though.
Jones won't do that because there isn't a club on earth stupid enough to sign him to a contract that pays him any guaranteed money. It's been clear for years now that he is incapable of keeping himself physically fit enough to play football at a high level.

roseguy64

That wasn’t his reason for refusing he said he wanted to stay a United and fight for his place which we all know is a joke as he wouldn’t get in the side. He could have went out and really tried to rekindle his career but chose not to.

And now if he isn’t even involved in training then he’s absolutely no use to the club at all, at least if he was playing training matches it would get others fit.
What are you talking about? I didn't give a reason why he didn't leave in January. I told you why he didn't leave before then. He was playing and then at other times injured. And then this summer he was injured.

Deery

Dreary
What are you talking about? I didn't give a reason why he didn't leave in January. I told you why he didn't leave before then. He was playing and then at other times injured. And then this summer he was injured.
You said which club wanted an injured player and I was making it clear to anyone reading the reason why he didn’t go, not trying to cloud anyone’s thinking with all this talk of injuries.

jesperjaap

Brilliant decision if true.

I have no issue with Jones continuing to collect his contractually agreed salary - that's the club's stupidity, not his.

However, there's no reason for him to continue to have first team privileges. Standards are important. You earn your place in the dressing room.
I agree, that is where I am split.

At the end of the day, we were the follish ones handing him a new contract when he has had so many injuries. If there was a player here we wanted to keep that wanted to leave we would be talking about obligations towards a contract.

On the other hand, he has had opportunities to revive his career elsewhere, his right to turn them down if not right....but he simply isnt going to play bar an injury crisis, realistically what is he 5th 6th choice centre back, so jsut as we are paying him with the contract, doesnt mean there should be a place for him in the dressing room unlucky or not and experienced or not, his fault or not through injuries, he simply isnt soemone that will make the match day squad, opportunities in that dressing room for youngsters would be far more beneficial to the future of the squad

Devil81

I wonder why they don't just pay up the remainder of his contract. Surely having him around now is totally pointless.

He holds no value in the market.

C'est Moi Cantona

I've no issue with Jones at all, but I don't get why we don't just pay him out of his contract for the last year, surely it's better for everyone at this point.

Then he can either retire, or give another club a fairly risk free run at getting him playing again.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Kicking him out by sending him to the reserves should have been done 5 seasons ago, maybe by now he would have actively push for a move or seek a loan move.

K Stand Knut

This is a nothing story.

There is only a certain number of seats in the dressing room and the players do not have their own set places. The match day squad will be in there on a match day and therefore nobody else will be in the dressing room except the players in the squad for any specific game.

Rashford, for example, will be ‘kicked out’ on Thursday if he isn’t in the squad for the game.

Let’s move on to the next bullshit story

stevoc

It can be cancelled unilaterally if the club pays the remainder of the contract.
Not really no the player would still have to agree to it. As just paying out their flat wage for the remainder of their contract wouldn't cover potential add ons and bonuses. Unless the player somehow breaks the terms of their contract then a club can't just cancel it.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
It really should be very simple

Regarding the training ground and times etc does anyone actually know how the schedules work?
Does all the adult teams train at the same time - do the same stuff etc? Do the reserves follow the same programme as the 1st team.

If he is fit and well and training with the first team then he should be where the first team is, canteen, dressers etc etc
If he isnt fit then he shouldnt be with the first team.

The training ground/treatment room should be his own schedule for medical appointments

acolyte

If fit,he is a better option than Maguire and Lindelof. Don't know why people blame him for his injury record. Blame the management for giving him a contract.
You can't imagine he's still the same player from 7 years ago.

He's like a rusty old fixer upper of a car that you find in an abandoned barn that won't start.

Suedesi

If we released him he could sign for another team right? If so we should terminate his contract and pay half his salary on the basis he would get a lump sum payout and then a salary at a new club
He can do whatever the fck he wants - just release Phil Jones and end all association immediately

Trequarista10

He can't accept any kind of mutual termination whilst he's still injured. He can't sign for anybody whilst injured.

Not gonna slate the guy for earning a salary. We don't know what's in his contract or what he does with his earnings. Maybe there's a heavy appearance fee element in his contract, maybe he gives a load of money to charity. Also he almost certainly would have turned down a big insurance pay off a few years ago in an attempt to keep on playing by having certain surgeries. He would have been around 24-26 give or take then, and at that if you have a small chance of recovering and playing PL football again you go for it.

No hard feelings towards him personally at all, his knee injury is horrific. He played with commitment always, and I don't recall one negative story about his personality, bad behaviour, messing around or attention seeking celebrity bullshit. I'll be delighted for him on a personal level if he can get his knee in a condition where he can play again somewhere.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Not registered for the Europa. Probably played his last game for the club, as there’s no dead rubbers in the League Cup.

babuttski

I work with a few Blackburn Rovers fans and apparently they’re in need of a CB. Surely he’d be better going back there to see out his career.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
We extended his contract last time as a way to stick by him as he tried to recover from his terrible injury. Not the best thing to do in a financial sense but a nice touch nonetheless.

The club would really turn into a heartless franchise if some of you had your way.