Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

Oldyella

We extended his contract last time as a way to stick by him as he tried to recover from his terrible injury. Not the best thing to do in a financial sense but a nice touch nonetheless.

The club would really turn into a heartless franchise if some of you had your way.
The same people would then shout about loyalty when another player asks for a transfer.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
We extended his contract last time as a way to stick by him as he tried to recover from his terrible injury. Not the best thing to do in a financial sense but a nice touch nonetheless.

The club would really turn into a heartless franchise if some of you had your way.
The club is not a charity.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Imagine feeling sorry for players who get paid more in a week than most working class people get paid in a year.

Like every top level cutthroat business, if you’re not performing you get the boot. The fact of the matter is we’ve been accommodating too many freeloaders for years now.
The money we've wasted on this guy is insane. He's made some of the easiest money in the world. I wonder how much time he's even trained.

FatTails

“It is about STANDARDS. No sentimentality! STANDARDS” — Goldbridge, probably.

lex talionis

Jones is still only 30. Say he puts in two decent performances for us this season. Surely another five year contract has to be offered.

Lost bear

You are free to build your own opinion. If you ask mine, well, I have no doubt that this guy has close connections with SAF. I saw that myself when SAF visited Malta and I saw him seated near SAF a couple of times while watching the game on telly. There seem to be a job for the boys mentality as well. After all Rangnick himself said that he struggled to understand what Fletcher's role is not to forget that Phelan is still here despite not being anywhere near to ETH's coaching staff. What I do question is Ole's lack of involvement into Jones's deal. Surely someone who got the job through this way would be demanded to back those who wanted another matey of theirs to get a contract extension. As said this guy is an Ole loyalist. He still believe that he would have been able to turn things around especially if we allowed him full access to the funds we gave to ETH.
Christ, I had no idea that Phelan was still here. Utd really is a bizarrely manger club, huh? I mean, those above ETH.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

We need to win trophies, Jones has no place in the squad so it's warranted.

His knee surgeries rule him out at top flight IMO. Did a lot for us, won titles but at this point he's as good as done with United.

Collect the rest of his salary fine, but he won't play for us again.

Same happened with Fletcher he had very bad colitis and went to West Brom. He was a great player but obviously at a certain point players need to be moved on even if you stick with them during the recovery process.

Same can be said for Mario Gotze with his illness or whoever.

When a football player can no longer play at the clubs level then they shouldn't get to be around the squad.

roseguy64

You said which club wanted an injured player and I was making it clear to anyone reading the reason why he didn’t go, not trying to cloud anyone’s thinking with all this talk of injuries.
Yeah and you're ignoring 90% of his career here and focusing on one brief period in time which doesn't give an accurate description.

Beans

Supports
Neutral

If the club want to be charitable, there are people in a lot more need than Phil Jones.

If we want him to be able to stick around to continue his rehab and give him one last chance to get fit, we don't have to pay him big wages and offer a multi-year guaranteed contract. Ajax let Eriksen rehab with them, didn't need to pay him millions as well. Does he not already have enough money for the rest of his life?

NK86

:lol: yeah that's why the Glazers signed off on a multi-million pound contract - out of the goodness of their heart and had nothing to do with the sheer incompetence of the club. Yeah, let's go with that :lol:

bringbackbebe

:lol: yeah that's why the Glazers signed off on a multi-million pound contract - out of the goodness of their heart and had nothing to do with the sheer incompetence of the club. Yeah, let's go with that :lol:
He kept playing 25 games a season till that contract extension. Glazers were counting pennies and thought he'd be a decent backup who could be sold for a fee later on. That went well.

caid

I still feel sorry for the guy and dont really care about the money. He gave his long term health to the club, I'm not going to moan about money. I'm not that pushed about keeping him around the first team mind you, just dont be a prick about it

kundalini

Anyone knows why this was extended?

According to Transfermarkt, Jones signed his most recent contract extension on Feb 8th 2019. During December 2018 and January 2019 he was starting matches in the PL. The previous summer he had been in Southgate's World Cup squad, starting against Belgium in the group stage and again in the 3rd place play-off.

The failure on United's part was not appreciating the state of Jones' knee (I think) and his chances of playing for the next 4 years. There is a pattern of similar decisions: Falcao loan, Schweinsteiger transfer. We seem overly optimistic about the ability of players' bodies to cope with the demands of PL football.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We failed him and as a result failed ourselves. Should have let him go for free anywhere he wants.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

How do you know this?

DevilRed

It was a knee issue. Similar to what Ole had. He said that's why he had sympathy with Jones. He kept getting setbacks.

He didn't get injured before preseason. He was in the first few photos when Ten Hag started preseason training. Then he was left behind to work on a specific programme, like he did last preseason when he was working his way back to be fit for last season. He eventually got injured this time whereas he wasn't last year where he was available.

Why would I have that information on hand about his current injury? You're just lashing out because I knew all that info about him that's publicly available and you've been made to look ignorant. Tough.
You know feck all about his injury. Other than it may or may not be his knee.

I dont need a fecking recap of his unavailability timeline.

Any idiot can google phil jones articles about him being injured.

But nobody knows why or how or even the exact nature of each injury he somehow sustains every other day.

The fans would like to know whats wrong with him and WHEN he can play if ever. Which was my original question.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Correct, its an employer subject to employment law and the terms and conditions of the contract.
Did you read the comment I was replying to, by any chance? The notion that the club would enter into a multimillion pound agreement purely out of a sense of sympathy to "stick by" a player with injury issues is absurd.

Deery

Dreary
The weirdos are the ones who get weirdly angry over Phil Jones and the motivations they imagine he had.
It was for compassionate reasons don’t you know or that’s what PJ’s Army are trying to spin.

Halftrack

It was for compassionate reasons don’t you know or that’s what PJ’s Army are trying to spin.
Those darn empathic assholes having compassion and not automatically assuming the absolute worst about the guy who has had his career ruined by injuries.

But you're right. He's a greedy cnut obsessed by money and we're all being paid to defend him. He's the George Soros of injury prone footballers.

Deery

Dreary
Those darn empathic assholes having compassion and not automatically assuming the absolute worst about the guy who has had his career ruined by injuries.

But you're right. He's a greedy cnut obsessed by money and we're all being paid to defend him. He's the George Soros of injury prone footballers.
I don’t hate the guy, but also not really that fond of him.

I just find it rich that after all the club has done for him, when asked to go out on loan he refused you’d think after being a sick note for so long you’d want to appease the people paying you but, no.

Then there was the whole calling people pot noodle eaters who dare say anything against him, just reeks of entitlement something I think the club want rid of and to step in a new direction.

Revan

Assumptionman

And it cost us 20m for the privilege of having a shit player on the surgery room.

No serious club would have offered Jones a new contract back then, not even a pay as you play one. He has been a waking meme since 2016 or so, and not even playing since the last contract.

Oldyella

I just find it rich that after all the club has done for him, when asked to go out on loan he refused you’d think after being a sick note for so long you’d want to appease the people paying you but, no.

Then there was the whole calling people pot noodle eaters who dare say anything against him, just reeks of entitlement something I think the club want rid of and to step in a new direction.
He's done and probably knows he's done. Why go out to another club and country for 8 or 9 months just to sit in their treatment room. If he doesn't trust his body, why go somewhere new where he will know no one and not speak the language simply to sit on their treatment tables rather than ours?

Fact is ETH has done the right thing moving him out of first team picture, but the club are also doing right thing by seeing out his contract with no drama, and PJ appears to be keeping quiet and going about remainder of his career with us. No bad guys here but some people just seem unreasonably angry about this.

Halftrack

Maybe he didn't to leave his wife and kid for months to go to France? If he'd turned down a loan to Blackburn or Wigan or something, I'd understand the annoyance, but he has perfectly legitimate reasons for not wanting to move to France.

You mean when he was talking specifically about the people who are mocking and abusing him? Calling them out reeks of entitlement?

Lentwood

supposedly Woodward/Judge saw players as assets to the value of the club
Not 'supposedly' they talked about it openly on shareholder calls.

Apologies in advance to any accountants but this is why they don't make great CEOs and/or senior leaders...because they understand the world in numbers but not their impact. Or...to use the old cliched line...they understand the price of everything but the value of nothing.

Sure, on the face of it, from an accounting perspective renewing a contract so as not to lose a player on a free and 'secure their value' is great.

However, in reality, there 'value' is only either a) there value to their current club as a player (so to us it's £0) and their value to a prospective buyer i.e. what someone is willing to pay (in this case, again, that's clearly £0)

So in reality, all we're doing is paying £5.5m per annum to "maintain" an "asset" that is worthless. It's like having an old piece of machinery on your factory floor that is no longer good for making product and does not have any scrap value - yet you still have it powered on, running 24/7 consuming electricity.