Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
This. His contract wasn't extended for compassionate reasons, that's nonsense.
Clearly wasn't the case. That said, I do distinctly remember everyone here being baffled it was four years and not 1, 2 or pay as you play. It didn't take a rocket scientist to work out it was mental.

roseguy64

It was Solskjaers worst decision signing him to a 5 year deal. Even if he regarded Jones as world class, his injury record was horrendous even then.

It was the first time I worried that Ole didn't know what he was doing, and it's a black stain on the club. None of this is Jones fault of course, he gave his all when he could, but it was a damning indictment of how our club is run.
Solskjaer as an interim manager decided that the club should give Phil Jones a 5 year contract? Wow. Unprecedented that.

Even permanent managers didn't get all they wanted but the club was willing to do that only for Ole. Interesting.

roseguy64

If he's fit, he should go play football somewhere. Even if it's a loan and only covers part his salary. Can't see the benefit to him being 6th choice CB having missed about 4 years of football. Nor us paying him to play u23s.
He's clearly not fit as Ten Hag said himself, Williams and Tuanzebe's futures were to be here at the club for now since they're unavailable i.e injured.

kidbob

Will always feel bad for the guy because he clearly would have been a top player without the injuries. Had everything you'd ever want in a young CB - pace, strength, heading and very good on the ball. Unfortunately injuries stopped him developing the rest of the qualities. I still understand how SAF rated his potential so high. However I'm angry that the club has held on to a lost cause for so long.

roseguy64

Clearly wasn't the case. That said, I do distinctly remember everyone here being baffled it was four years and not 1, 2 or pay as you play. It didn't take a rocket scientist to work out it was mental.
Yeah, extending it for that long was bad. People were complaining about it at the time.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Will always feel bad for the guy because he clearly would have been a top player without the injuries. Had everything you'd ever want in a young CB - pace, strength, heading and very good on the ball. Unfortunately injuries stopped him developing the rest of the qualities. I still understand how SAF rated his potential so high. However I'm angry that the club has held on to a lost cause for so long.
Biggest issue for Jones IMO were injuries and SAF retiring. if SAF stayed I think he could have been a top CB but of course if he got injured it'd have been over. big shame.

Happens though, Badstuber was looking like a top CB at Bayern before his injuries too.

All of the players that could have been elite got royally fecked by Moyes and Van Gaal coming in IMO. The only player that really benefitted was Rashford breaking through.

stevoc

You can pay out the value of the contract. Mutual termination usually means less money but you get it all in a lump sum so you benefit from having less but sooner. I’d argue it’s worthwhile to pay out Jones rather than having a player hanging around not contributing.
Yeah if the player agrees to it. Contracts these days have all sort of bonuses, add-ons, image rights etc payments tied into them that are triggered by various things. So players will want all that money too to agree to leave early. I can't imagine a scenario where a player would turn down all that money, basically an extra years salary. But they still have to agree to having their contract terminated by the club.

kidbob

Biggest issue for Jones IMO were injuries and SAF retiring. if SAF stayed I think he could have been a top CB but of course if he got injured it'd have been over. big shame.

Happens though, Badstuber was looking like a top CB at Bayern before his injuries too.

All of the players that could have been elite got royally fecked by Moyes and Van Gaal coming in IMO. The only player that really benefitted was Rashford breaking through.
Yeah you get players like that unfortunately. The obvious ones being the likes of Jones, Owen, Saha etc. A left field one I've always had is Anderson who I think was much more injuries than laziness. I kind of think his 'laziness' was actually him just giving up because his body kept letting him down. Like you said with Badstuber, Jones for me is in the big wasted talent level due to injuries like Ledley King too.

Really hope the club never repeats the same mistakes with contracts though. As unfortunate as it is football at this highest level needs to be ruthless. For instance we would have gotten much more out of keeping Evans over Jones the last years even though Jones clearly had the bigger talent.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Why are we still getting mad at something that happened four years ago. Seems things are starting to go in the right direction at the club and this isn’t going to effect that.

sparx99

Yeah if the player agrees to it. Contracts these days have all sort of bonuses, add-ons, image rights etc payments tied into them that are triggered by various things. So players will want all that money too to agree to leave early. I can't imagine a scenario where a player would turn down all that money, basically an extra years salary. But they still have to agree to having their contract terminated by the club.
That’s true but is Phil Jones earning any of those things?

Jericho

omg I thought this was the last year of his contract. We gave a known crock a guaranteed contract that gets him to 32 :eek:

Remember when Sir Alex had a 1 year max extension for anyone over 30? And Michael Owen was even on a pay-as-play deal.

stevoc

That’s true but is Phil Jones earning any of those things?
Obviously I have no idea but you would assume there are appearance related bonuses etc. Even if there wasn't the player still needs to agree to early contract termination. That's usually how contracts between two parties work if one party wants to end the contract early

sparx99

Obviously I have no idea but you would assume there are appearance related bonuses etc. Even if there wasn't the player still needs to agree to early contract termination. That's usually how contracts between two parties work if one party wants to end the contract early
Yeah, of course. I just mean he’s not making appearances so no appearance bonus, he’s not playing so no clean sheet bonus, he’s not going to be in marketing materials at this point so no image rights to worry about.

Trophy Room

Why is everyone obsessed with this lad's contract? Does not affect anyone on this forum. It's not his fault that he has had a major injury. Rotten luck. No one can question his desire when he has actually played. I'm sure there was an element of compassion with that contract but that's fine.

stevoc

Yeah, of course. I just mean he’s not making appearances so no appearance bonus, he’s not playing so no clean sheet bonus, he’s not going to be in marketing materials at this point so no image rights to worry about.
But he could he made 5 appearances last season. Doe she have a boot sponsorship deal and/or other sponsors? You would assume that and any other personal endorsements/sponsors are worth more playing for Manchester United than they are almost anywhere else or retired.

And I'm talking generally not just specifically about Phil Jones. Clubs can't just unilaterally terminate players contracts, it's not that simple.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Are we sure he is not still better than Maguire, when fit? :lol:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Why is everyone obsessed with this lad's contract? Does not affect anyone on this forum. It's not his fault that he has had a major injury. Rotten luck. No one can question his desire when he has actually played. I'm sure there was an element of compassion with that contract but that's fine.
Because we want to see our football club run properly and Phil Jones still being here is a sign that it isn't?

AlPistacho

When Jones plays he gives it 100% but then everything he does well is because he’s not very good eg throwing his body on the line, last ditch tackling etc. it’s great to watch all signs of a CB who lacks positioning, can’t read the game, etc.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We need to act like Barca and terminate the contracts on players like him to show the others that we mean business and we are changing step by step cuz they are not here for a holiday.
So you think we should breach contracts when it suits us? Apart from the lawsuits that we would inevitably lose it would send a message to every player in the world not to sign for us.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I think it's coming up because it's another mistake made by our leadership, and we've just had a questionable summer, good signings and all.

Wing Attack Plan R

You're just another outrage merchant, constantly on the hunt for something to scream hysterically about, then deflecting whenever someone presses you on whatever made up bullshit you're currently blubbering about.

The fact that you took offense at Jones' statement about trolls mocking and abusing him speaks volumes, really.
Halftrack credited for one kill.

wolvored

When Jones plays he gives it 100% but then everything he does well is because he’s not very good eg throwing his body on the line, last ditch tackling etc. it’s great to watch all signs of a CB who lacks positioning, can’t read the game, etc.
This. The reason hes injured all the while was the last ditch defending, because his anyicipation and reading of the game was crap.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
In some aspects our club is terrible dealing with situations like this and we are not serious enough.

You cannot have Phil Jones on 75 000 $ per week doing nothing and warming up the bench for the last 5 years.

We need to act like Barca and terminate the contracts on players like him to show the others that we mean business and we are changing step by step cuz they are not here for a holiday.

If you want to play for United you need to deserve it else get out !
Well, you can if he’s on a legal contract.
terminating contracts will involve large payouts. Perhaps we’re not in a position to do this.

Dannn411

It was not too long ago that the idea of an actual testimonial was being suggested (and actually offered) to Phil Jones. Nothing else describes how far the club has fallen in the last decade better than that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Maybe he wants to retire as a United player, the club that stood by him for years while he became a meme and a mocked figure? People being angry at Jones for his injuries is baffling. Yes, Jones gets a lot of money, but his passion is to play football and he can't because of his injuries.
I would find that very hard to understand. Surely he would want to do anything to avoid having that kind of legacy? If he is able to play football at all (and I understand that’s a very big if) then his number one priority has to surely be finding a club who will pick him regularly so his career can be remembered for reasons other than the ones in bold?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's a hangover from a bad era for the club. Moreover letting him go would free up more of the wage budget. He's been at the club more than a decade with few appearances, renewing his contract was terrible business.

Judas

Open to offers
Plenty on here supported the extension as they were under the frankly stupid impression it would help him retain his value so we could sell him for more :lol:

Wing Attack Plan R

I would find that very hard to understand. Surely he would want to do anything to avoid having that kind of legacy? If he is able to play football at all (and I understand that’s a very big if) then his number one priority has to surely be finding a club who will pick him regularly so his career can be remembered for reasons other than the ones in bold?
Not really. You go out on top, playing for the best.

Halftrack

It's a hangover from a bad era for the club. Moreover letting him go would free up more of the wage budget. He's been at the club more than a decade with few appearances, renewing his contract was terrible business.
Yeah, it was silly giving him such a lengthy deal, given his injury record. It's emblematic of the Woodward/Judge era and their reluctance to release players, and "protecting assets" by giving fringe players long contracts on big wages.

Revan

Assumptionman

Based on what exactly? He has been here over 10 years, played 229 matches and never has shown anything that he can be a good CB, let alone a top one. His positioning was always bloody awful, he was vulnerable in 1 on 1, he wasn’t a good passer, his brain constantly switched off.

His best performances came either on his first season, when he played as right-back (with Rafael injured), or in pit bull role (for example, against Real Madrid). But as CB, he was always a disaster, even Maguire is a massive improvement in that position.

Without injuries, he would have had a career like O’Shea. A good utility player who can deputize in 5 positions. Which to be fair, was his role anyway.

Revan

Assumptionman
So you think we should breach contracts when it suits us? Apart from the lawsuits that we would inevitably lose it would send a message to every player in the world not to sign for us.
Is every player in the world refusing to sign for Barca? Someone should tell that to Lewandowski, Raphina and co.