Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

stevoc

At this point I would let him leave on a season long loan with us paying all the wages.
That's the most likely scenario for him to get a decent loan. If he doesn't go on loan this year he'll have barely played in 3-4 years so finding a new club while out of contract next year will be difficult for him.

stevoc

The same way that you know he was offered a loan move...

Blame Woodward and Ole, not the player.
Hear, hear Ole always gets a free ride on here. Let's not forget it was also Ole's fault we signed Sanchez on that ridiculous contract, why we overpaid for Fellaini by letting his clause elapse and missing out on Hazard.

redcucumber

Hear, hear Ole always gets a free ride on here. Let's not forget it was also Ole's fault we signed Sanchez on that ridiculous contract, why we overpaid for Fellaini by letting his clause elapse and missing out on Hazard.
It was always fairly obvious to me that Ole as manager was to blame for us missing out on Ronaldinho. Ho hum.

Varun1

Ole was shite but he's not to blame for everything tbf.
Agree, but while many like to blame Woodward for all the average players we have bought, the blame lies with the manager as well. The board doesn't decide unilaterally on which player to sign without the manager's approval, certainly not at United. Maybe it's not the case with contract renewals, maybe it was entirely on Woodward, to preserve value.

Varun1

What? :houllier: In other words, you don't? Unless you're implying it's also conjecture that he was offered the chance to play in Bordeaux? Confused by that.
How do you know Jones was offered a loan deal to Bordeaux? Through the press... where it was also reported that he wasn't going to be a starter.
It's not so difficult to understand mate.

redcucumber

How do you know Jones was offered a loan deal to Bordeaux? Through the press... where it was also reported that he wasn't going to be a starter.
It's not so difficult to understand mate.
He obviously had the chance to join Bordeaux. Why would they guarantee he was going to be a starter? It was a 6 month loan and he hadn't played consistent football in years. They are their own club with their own ambitions - they were fighting for survival! They can't put Phil Jones' wishes first and guarantee a player like him to be starting every game. What if he struggled badly to adapt to the French league. Were they supposed to prioritise what Phil Jones wants and keep him starting regardless? It's completely ridiculous and not realistic relative to the reality of the situation.

It's a really weird take on it. Which clubs do you think Phil Jones can go to at this juncture in his career and demand to be a starter?

OleGunnar20

I think he could have found somewhere else to play at some point over these years, though he'd likely have had to drop a level / reduce his wages.

He hasn't for whatever reason. I assume partly to do with Oles obsession with bloated squads (See Lingard, Cavani, Mata et al) and partly to do with not wanting to for whatever reason.

It's a shame since he undoubtedly had big potential, but that's long gone now. He should have dropped a level to get football years ago in my opinion. He'd have still been filthy rich.

But hey ho. Hopefully he leaves this summer at least. His staying around sets an awful example to the squad.

Varun1

He obviously had the chance to join Bordeaux. Why would they guarantee he was going to be a starter? It was a 6 month loan and he hadn't played consistent football in years. They are their own club with their own ambitions - they were fighting for survival! They can't put Phil Jones' wishes first and guarantee a player like him to be starting every game. What if he struggled badly to adapt to the French league. Were they supposed to prioritise what Phil Jones wants and keep him starting regardless? It's completely ridiculous and not realistic relative to the reality of the situation.

It's a really weird take on it. Which clubs do you think Phil Jones can go to at this juncture in his career and demand to be a starter?
I agree that Bordeeaux shouldn't guarantee Jones a starting place, you and I both agree on this. But why should we expect Jones to move to France where he won't be playing? He could do that at United.

You and others are quite happy to form an opinion on Jones and the failed loan move, and all the name calling, but conveniently ignore the player's wishes. Or that we don't even know why the loan didn't go ahead. For all we know maybe Bordeaux didn't want to pay his wages and United cancelled the loan.

What I really want to say is, there are so many things that we don't know about the Jones situation, maybe we should give it a rest.

IrishRedDevil

If he is still here leeching after this summer he is going to get all the Lingard type abuse, plus more, and I think it'll be deserved.

redcucumber

I agree that Bordeeaux shouldn't guarantee Jones a starting place, you and I both agree on this. But why should we expect Jones to move to France where he won't be playing? He could do that at United.

You and others are quite happy to form an opinion on Jones and the failed loan move, and all the name calling, but conveniently ignore the player's wishes. Or that we don't even know why the loan didn't go ahead. For all we know maybe Bordeaux didn't want to pay his wages and United cancelled the loan.

What I really want to say is, there are so many things that we don't know about the Jones situation, maybe we should give it a rest.
Because that's the nature of football. No one has a God given right to start, not least a player that has spent the last decade in the injury room. They wanted him there so they obviously know he's got talent. The expectation would have been to go to Bordeaux and work hard, make an impression in training and see how he fares in competitive games. Why would they loan him and stick him on the bench for 6 months? As was said, they were in a relegation fight and wanted him there for a reason. Surely it's better to fight for a starting berth at Bordeaux in a new environment than hang around at United where it's all but guaranteed he won't play?

I haven't done any name calling, so I'd rather you didn't infer that I'm involved in any of that. If United fans can't discuss the goings on of United players we might as well shut this place down.

Unam333

It's obvious he's under extreme psychological stress due to his recurring injuries. Why should he go to France, Bordeaux from his point of view? New country, different culture, foreign language, new club.

Also here in Manchester, the doctors and physio know his medical condition. Changing environment is possibly be the last thing on his mind.

He's settled in Manchester: married, has a kid. Why change all that just to play regular football? Because let's be honest, if he goes to France he will get injured.

He has a long term contract. His life will be stable for at least the next 2 years. Just let him. Let him honor the contract, let's respect the man's decision. After 2 years, it's done.

Also, United obviously had money: we just paid 57-ish million for a central defender.

IrishRedDevil

He has a long term contract. His life will be stable for at least the next 2 years. Just let him. Let him honor the contract, let's respect the man's decision. After 2 years, it's done.

Also, United obviously had money: we just paid 57-ish million for a central defender.
Lets just register as a charity, shall we? Let him sit on his arse / medical bed for the next 2 years.

Unam333

Lets just register as a charity, shall we? Let him sit on his arse / medical bed for the next 2 years.
It's out of our hands. He has a contract. The board was stupid to hand him a new contract. What can we fans do? Grab the pitchforks and force him out? Just let him. I'm sure Jones feels bad he's not contributing to the rebuild, but hey! The money is too good, he's settled in the Manchester area. I don't blame him.

roseguy64

I think he could have found somewhere else to play at some point over these years, though he'd likely have had to drop a level / reduce his wages.

He hasn't for whatever reason. I assume partly to do with Oles obsession with bloated squads (See Lingard, Cavani, Mata et al) and partly to do with not wanting to for whatever reason.

It's a shame since he undoubtedly had big potential, but that's long gone now. He should have dropped a level to get football years ago in my opinion. He'd have still been filthy rich.

But hey ho. Hopefully he leaves this summer at least. His staying around sets an awful example to the squad.
Why would he find somewhere else to play before last season?

Prior to his last injury, he got a decent amount of games under Moyes, LVG and Mourinho. He was mostly injured under Ole so wouldn't have left then either way.

OleGunnar20

Why would he find somewhere else to play before last season?

Prior to his last injury, he got a decent amount of games under Moyes, LVG and Mourinho. He was mostly injured under Ole so wouldn't have left then either way.
Since the 15/16 season (that season Included) he's played an average of 16 games a season, including sub appearances.

Injuries of course have played a huge part but aren't 100% to blame here. If playing time was his top priority he could have left long ago I'm sure.

Judging by his actions, it isn't, which is fair enough. His decision to make at the end of the day.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Guys on a mega contract to do very little.

How many of us would leave that situation to work harder for less money?

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Hasn't he got a young family? Honestly don't blame him for picking up the last highly paid year of his playing career (most likely). I cannot imagine there are clubs out there offering him multi-year deals or anything that isn't pay as you play.

OleGunnar20

Guys on a mega contract to do very little.

How many of us would leave that situation to work harder for less money?
If it were me and I'd already earned millions, at 26/27 I'd like to think I'd drop down to a measly 30-40k a week or whatever (hypothetical 'Low' wage for a top flight footballer) to actually have a shot at regular football before my time was up.

Understandable many would think otherwise of course.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
He wasn't wrong he said the truth but only apologised because he didn't want to look like dick.
Not just that ... I vaguely remember Phil Jones referring to his critics as people too poor to afford their own home and good food.
This coming from a person who is too injured to kick a bag of air for a living ... not a doctor, a nurse, a fireman, a safety inspector, a garbageman - all jobs whose disappearance would affect us in a tangible way. Ronaldo gets called egoistical all the time ... yet I notice a lot of United supporters sympathetic to him.
I wonder what the mood here would be like if Ronaldo referred to his Redcafe critics as losers?

Droid_Repairs

Not just that ... I vaguely remember Phil Jones referring to his critics as people too poor to afford their own home and good food.
This coming from a person who is too injured to kick a bag of air for a living ... not a doctor, a nurse, a fireman, a safety inspector, a garbageman - all jobs whose disappearance would affect us in a tangible way. Ronaldo gets called egoistical all the time ... yet I notice a lot of United supporters sympathetic to him.
I wonder what the mood here would be like if Ronaldo referred to his Redcafe critics as losers?
I think you've misinterpreted his meaning of poor

Regarding Rio Ferdinand's recent criticism of him, Jones said:

"Listen, the respect I’ve got for him is enormous as I’ve shared a dressing room with Rio and he is a great professional and I Ioved playing with him and learned so much off him,”

“But what he said was poor. Really poor. I’m not into disputes, not into arguments, and if he didn’t know, he didn’t know.”

Can't find a single quote where he called anybody a loser either.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I think you've misinterpreted his meaning of poor
I am referring to this:
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/phil-jones-man-utd-injury-25020061
Can't find a single quote where he called anybody a loser either.
Its even worse than what I thought:
"When my career finishes and I’m enjoying my life - and by the way I’m fortunate that I’ll be able to do that - the keyboard warriors will still be in their mum’s spare bedroom, sipping Pepsi that’s flat, eating a Pot Noodle, sitting in their boxers, tweeting."

This makes me give even more credit to Ronaldo!!!

Son

Let’s look at your sentence

“his career ended the day he joined United”

horrendous post Son
As far as I’m concerned he is not and has never been a Manchester United CB.

It’s utterly ludicrous to suggest otherwise considering he has been at best a squad player for most of the worst United teams in modern history.

The fact he is still here and on 6 figures a week after been woeful for around 10 years is a disgrace.

wolvored

At this point I would let him leave on a season long loan with us paying all the wages.
That wont happen. Might as well leave him here unregistered. Pay some of his wages I would agree, but not all.

redcucumber

I get why people are saying 'he gets paid loads to do feck all, who can blame him'. I don't necessarily disagree. With that said, the hangers on on fat paycheques who don't contribute are a part of why the club is in the state it's in, so while I don't harbour any ill will against said hangers on, it's hard to not feel slightly aggrieved. They've contributed to our malaise (though the feckless Woodward and Judge are obviously primarily to blame). I still don't get why he'd turn down 6 months to play football in the south of France, though.

Apparently his contract runs out next year next year anyway. Be the last remnants of Fergie's era gone if Jones and De Gea both leave.

I get why people are saying 'he gets paid loads to do feck all, who can blame him'. I don't necessarily disagree. With that said, the hangers on on fat paycheques who don't contribute are a part of why the club is in the state it's in, so while I don't harbour any ill will against said hangers on, it's hard to not feel slightly aggrieved. They've contributed to our malaise (though the feckless Woodward and Judge are obviously primarily to blame). I still don't get why he'd turn down 6 months to play football in the south of France, though.

Apparently his contract runs out next year next year anyway. Be the last remnants of Fergie's era gone if Jones and De Gea both leave.
Jones will definitely leave, either this summer or next. If De Gea has another good season he could well get a contract extension.

redcucumber

Jones will definitely leave, either this summer or next. If De Gea has another good season he could well get a contract extension.
I'd be really hesitant to extend his contract. It's time to go in a different direction. Also, it's hard to imagine he'll be happy with halving his wages which is about what he's worth (if not significantly less). Alisson is on 150k, De Gea is on 375k.

Just as I type this De Gea makes a howler!

FiiiiveTenHaaags

Am I the only person who respects Phil Jones?

His contract isn’t his fault so don’t blame him for that.

Yes, he’s been injured a lot. But it’s not like he’s injuring himself ffs

Does no one remember his first start last season after ages? Alongside Varane? He came out hyped up and put in way more effort than half the team did.

He’s a useful emergency backup as CB or DM. Like how would ‘letting him go for the season and pay all his wages’ help the team?!

Genuinely don’t get the hate. I get he’s a meme but he puts in a shift and no one can or should deny that.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Does no one remember his first start last season after ages? Alongside Varane? He came out hyped up and put in way more effort than half the team did.

He’s a useful emergency backup as CB or DM. Like how would ‘letting him go for the season and pay all his wages’ help the team?!

Genuinely don’t get the hate. I get he’s a meme but he puts in a shift and no one can or should deny that.
Once or twice a season when he's fit.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Who cares does he "puts in a shift" ffs. That is bare minimum for every player. He is our 6th/7th option now. If he is not interested to change clubs then that shows his ambition

redcucumber

How does keeping him around the squad with him never playing help? We might as well extend his contract if he's got his uses hanging around the place and never needing to actually play. We are Manchester United. We need to represent the highest standards. We aren't a leisure centre where players can pop in for training, get a massage and that's their job done.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

You’re wasting your time, the (unnecessary) hate is strong

Gator Nate

And after that appearance, he was put back in the cupboard. I don't recall that he got injured again. After that performance, I don't understand why he didn't get any time afterwards. Particularly as poorly as the whole squad was doing.

That said, DC United could use just about anything in defense. Heck, a couple of cardboard cutouts could probably improve their scoreline. They've shipped 41 goals in 19 games. Jones would be an upgrade for them on the field and probably in the dressing room.