Phil Jones | released summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Over the top for defending a guy being abused in the street in front of his kids?
I think you should read your own post once again.
He's rich so it's okay I guess. Think of how ludicrous all the "criticism" would sound if he was a factory worker with a bad back.

Lynty

I eat pot noodles. Why not. Have you ever seen Kitchen Nightmares? restaurants charging loads of money for shit quality foods. Expensive doesnt necessarily mean better especially with pesticides around.
wtf :lol: :lol: :lol: This post is like when your in the middle of serious discussion and your mad gran with dementia just blurts out nonsense.

Such a random closing line as well.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I mean, apart from the period in 2018/19 I've just pointed you when he definitely was first choice, yes, Phil Jones was not first choice in 2018/19.

He was also very much considered first choice after Rio and Vidic went.
Which was five years before his latest contract, which you used as justification for why he was given it.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

As you have proven many times, you speak out of your a$$. Check the facts first before you make claims.

2018/19: https://fbref.com/en/stathead/playe...8-2019&player_id5=e0991c04&p5yrfrom=2018-2019

2017/18: https://fbref.com/en/stathead/playe...7-2018&player_id5=e0991c04&p5yrfrom=2017-2018

Entire Man Utd careers: https://fbref.com/en/stathead/playe...=e0991c04&p5yrfrom=2014-2015&p5yrto=2018-2019

Look at Defensive actions per 90...
Matches played, 23 & 18.

Wow. Stalwart.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Which was five years before his latest contract, which you used as justification for why he was given it.
I used his run of games as first choice in 2018/19 as a reason why he was given a contract extension in 2018/19.

You then said he'd never been first choice, so I added another example.

By all means, be annoyed at the club for giving him a 4 year contract extension, but don't start making things up about him to justify your flat pepsi habits.

8thWonder

Matches played, 23 & 18.

Wow. Stalwart.
To be fair, you did say;

At no point in 2019 is Phil Jones, ever, EVER the first choice CB for MUFC. I'd go so far as to say he has never been first choice CB at his time at the club.

This was then demonstatably proved wrong, in 18/19, when he was fit, he was out starter.

I get that a lot of people were unhappy at the contract extension. But the club thought it was the correct decision based off multiple factors.

He's gone through extensive surgeries and hopefully can remain fit and enjoy his football.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

To be fair, you did say;

At no point in 2019 is Phil Jones, ever, EVER the first choice CB for MUFC. I'd go so far as to say he has never been first choice CB at his time at the club.

This was then demonstatably proved wrong, in 18/19, when he was fit, he was out starter.

I get that a lot of people were unhappy at the contract extension. But the club thought it was the correct decision based off multiple factors.

He's gone through extensive surgeries and hopefully can remain fit and enjoy his football.
I'm just not sure how 23 and 18 appearances can make a player first choice. So much so that we bought Maguire that summer.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Thanks for posting, this video should get posted every few pages... He's been playing through injury/pain since 2012, with the knee getting worse and worse...

I do wonder why United seemed to be so quiet about the surgery though? I don't think we heard anything about it until this interview, with Ole been asked about it several times over the last two years? Do you think they were trying to protect him knowing he might never make it back as a player?
I remember when then micro fracture technique for arthritis was discovered, so it must still be relatively new. It involves allowing the marrow to seep out and then glue itself together on the outside of the bone, becoming tough like the meniscus.

They probably had no idea how long it would take him to, in practice, grow a new body part, so no point talking about it. Plus, admitting to playing him with a torn meniscus might leave them liable if they can't "repair" it.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Oh no, I am a plastic fan because I don't spend my days worrying about the wellbeing of Phil Jones.
I dont know are you? It seems to me the type of person who doesnt feel sympathy for someone who has been abused for years because of a condition he had no control over and even abused in front of his young kids would be the type of person who would criticise the manager or players at the drop of a hat. So if they big plastic hat fits lad.

DoomSlayer

Yeah I've said a few times that I wish we could see some of the same defending of other players and the manager, would make the caf a much better place if this support was sprinkled around the other threads. :)
One mod even telling people to "jog on", which as far as I'm aware is the slang version of "feck off". :lol: Imagine being so defensive over Phil Jones that you'd be willing to break the rules yourself and offend a fellow United fan.

I'd say a big lot of the posters are being overreacting softies. And that started from Rio's comments, from which the same softies decided to totally overblow the situation.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I'm just not sure how 23 and 18 appearances can make a player first choice. So much so that we bought Maguire that summer.
Once it was decided Smalling was leaving, our CB options other than Jones at the end of that season were Lindelof, injury prone Rojo, injury prone Bailly and unproven Tuanzebe. Maguire was a very much needed signing.

Phil Jones was a first choice CB when the contract was given. That is the fact of the matter.

Bailly has played just 41 league games in the 4 seasons following his debut season. Rojo managed just 17 in the same time frame.

When the contract was given, which was at a time when Phil Jones was fit and playing regularly in a team winning almost every match, he was a first choice centre back for Manchester United. The only CB at the club that you could say was ahead of him was Lindelof.

Herman Toothrot

People trying to create a class war here are attempting to mask their stupidity with a different kind of stupidity, but I think they're too stupid to even know it.

Leave Phil Jones alone. Get back to picking the wax of your big ears.

Last edited:

edgecutter

Would rather one of the youth players get mins as Phil doesn't have a future here. Not his fault that he was offered a long term deal, but we should be looking to remove him from any playing duties due to being totally unreliable.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

I dont know are you? It seems to me the type of person who doesnt feel sympathy for someone who has been abused for years because of a condition he had no control over and even abused in front of his young kids would be the type of person who would criticise the manager or players at the drop of a hat. So if they big plastic hat fits lad.
A condition he had no control over? Am I missing something, did he get diagnosed with a disease or something? Doesn't he have a knee injury? The best thing is I don't condone him being abused in the street by people, far from it but because I don't get on my knees and offer unconditional support to a footballer, I must support him being abused by people. Real galaxy brain boy over here.

I love how a fan feels he needs to leap to the defence of a person he has never met in order to demonstrate to the wider group that he is, in fact, a "proper" fan. Someone is insecure about their fandom.

RUCK4444

Is the battle of the pot noodle still raging in here? I conceded defeat early, Jones has a mighty army with all the mods behind him.

Jokes aside, I wonder if he will get an appearance tonight? I think Ole will be desperate to get him an appearance to give him a boost.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I love the fact the team most likely played him in order to stick him in the shop window but he is first choice.
They most likely played him because the manager thought he was good in training.

Don’t know why our fans always try to complicate situations - shop Windows, promoting brands, happy to sit on benches, given up on football.

all nonsense I’ve read the last week or so
Further I don’t know why they choose to double down instead of thinking logically

how about the manager chose to play him because he was fit and doing his job to the managers liking?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Is the battle of the pot noodle still raging in here? I conceded defeat early, Jones has a mighty army with all the mods behind him.

Jokes aside, I wonder if he will get an appearance tonight? I think Ole will be desperate to get him an appearance to give him a boost.
He might if he’s up to it. Not sure how far along his recuperation plan he is

Shark

@NotShark
If and this is a massive if, Jones is reaching peak fitness and Ole thinks he can offer us something I'd be tempted to throw him in over Bailly. Could he honestly do much worse? ideally both should be moved on but removing the fact they're both made of glass it's now about what they can offer when on the pitch.

dinostar77

Let's hope he gets minutes on the pitch tonight. Sounds like he's been though an ordeal. At the minimum getting him playing again may attract some interest from other clubs.

Edit: having seen the video of his injury explained I can't see any club signing him other than on a pay as you play deal. He needs to retire for his own physical health. Though mentally he probably needs to get back out on the pitch.

Last edited:

Danny

I'm going tonight, and I for one will cheer and clap when his name is read out. Hopefully he gets some minutes under his belt and performs to a standard to help him push on again for the rest of the season.

Speako

Said it before and I’ll say it again, Jones should have been sold straight after the 2018 cup final. He was calamitous before and an abomination on the day. I know he’s obviously had a hard time since, but that does change the fact that he was never good enough for the level we need to reach, and that was before we acquired Varane and Maguire. For gods sake Ole, in the words of my daughter singing, Let it go.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This is a video explaining his injuries.

This is why I’ve always defended him. Nobody had any idea what he was going through and instead just wanted him to feck off. He’s basically been through about 9 years of pain and torment.

DoomSlayer

This is why I’ve always defended him. Nobody had any idea what he was going through and instead just wanted him to feck off. He’s basically been through about 9 years of pain and torment.
And you don't think his braindead style of defending was part of the problem? Jones is a reckless player that caused most of his own problems himself. Stop rewriting history with this pseudo-sentimental bullshit.

It would be hilarious if Jones started playing more regularly though, whilst VDB stays on the bench the whole season again. :lol:

RUCK4444

Maybe he’ll sort our DCM problems. Played there for Blackburn.
And United, man marked Ronnie again Madrid :D

I would genuinely consider giving him a game there though, what we need is a very good defensively minded Mid in my opinion, somebody to keep it simple and sweep up alongside Pogba.

He’s not the man long term but I don’t see why it can’t be tried in games like tonight’s.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
And you don't think his braindead style of defending was part of the problem? Jones is a reckless player that caused most of his own problems himself. Stop rewriting history with this pseudo-sentimental bullshit.
Wan-Bissaka dives into tackles in a similar way (yes with more precision but the action is the same) and has no issues.

Anyway, I've never said he wasn't reckless with his tackling but that's just who he is. John Terry played in a similar way.

Regardless of how it happens and whether he deserves to be in the team still, it's just nice to have some empathy and not direct vitriol at someone who is having a hard time and always tried to put his body on the line for his team.

DoomSlayer

Wan-Bissaka dives into tackles in a similar way (yes with more precision but the action is the same) and has no issues.

Anyway, I've never said he wasn't reckless with his tackling but that's just who he is. John Terry played in a similar way.

Regardless of how it happens and whether he deserves to be in the team still, it's just nice to have some empathy and not direct vitriol at someone who is having a hard time and always tried to put his body on the line for his team.
You're making it sound as if he is a soldier fighting for his country on the battlefield, not a millionaire that is part of a sports entertainment industry.

If we are going to use such hyperbolic statements, I've seen him let the team down as many times as he "put his body on the line".

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You're making it sound as if he is a soldier fighting for his country on the battlefield, not a millionaire that is part of a sports entertainment industry.

If we are going to use such hyperbolic statements, I've seen him let the team down as many times as he "put his body on the line".
Am I? That seems quite hyperbolic itself but let's ignore the irony.

Also, yes millionaires are definitely always happy and can never have mental health issues or are deserving of well wishes.

I'm sick of having this conversation. Let's leave it there.

DoomSlayer

Am I? That seems quite hyperbolic itself but let's ignore the irony.

Also, yes millionaires are definitely always happy and can never have mental health issues or are deserving of well wishes.

I'm sick of having this conversation. Let's leave it there.
Yeah, let's leave it there, since you have no rebuttal that is grounded on the reality we live in. Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.