Phil McNulty's top 10 football matches

macheda14

I mean the chelsea Bayern final wasn’t particularly great as well was it?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Only because he was there.
Tbh, he could have made a list of the best games, not just the ones he was witness too.

I'm surprised he didn't just list Liverpool's last 10 games.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Does anyone else feel the Newcastle-Liverpool 3-4 game is overrated? I have watched extensive highlights and the quality is absolutely shocking.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Bit strange that he picked our match at Bayern in 2012 considering we had one of the all time classic matches at Barcelona to get there.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Half of them aren’t even worth rewatching when you know the result.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Bit strange that he picked our match at Bayern in 2012 considering we had one of the all time classic matches at Barcelona to get there.
Yeah, this one or the return leg of 2008/09 semi-final...

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Does anyone else feel the Newcastle-Liverpool 3-4 game is overrated? I have watched extensive highlights and the quality is absolutely shocking.
The defending is piss poor throughout and why neither team were able to win a title at that time.

Still, entertaining game - must have been an emotional rollercoaster for fans of both clubs.

Zen

This is not really actually 'matches' then, other than Newcastle-Liverpool..... it's mostly moments. Or in the case of Chelsea, the absolute oddity. Theres like no match in that run that'd you truly watch for the football as opposed to the 'drama'.... maybe Napoli was it? But not the Semi's and Finals...... one of those classic luck wins the CL a lot of the time years - similar to Real 2 years ago, massively undeserved victories, but victories nonetheless. Tremendous amount of luck. Hell you could throw in 2 of Madrid's in that. They didn't outplay Atletico both times.

Mind you, the drama does work for some of them - City yes, Michael Thomas yes, Euro 96 yes. Though I really wouldn't rewatch the first two of those either.

Barca vs Bayern with Messi masterclass? Um yeah.
Argentina-Holland 1998.... yeah
That game when Arshavin scored 4 was a bonkers scorefest that was and is still fun as hell.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
He's included a few games which were about the occasion and not the game. By that standard, the 99 Champions League final should be there.
Well it says at the beginning of the article it is the top 10 matches that he has been to. So by rights the occasion / atmosphere takes on precedence there. This isn't a top 10 list of games that he recommends watching again it's just top 10 matches which stick out to him.

Oldyella

Cant believe he think the city game was more dramatic than arsenal v scousers. League being decided in last game between the two challengers and virtually last kick of the game?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Shambles of a list. Where is United Real 4-3? What a game of football despite the result.

Dortmund thrashing Real?

Barcelona thrashing Mourinho's real 5-0?

There's plenty of games that all better than he picked.

What about Newcastle coming back from 4-0 against Arsenal? Or Arsenal beating Inter away.

His list is shit.

Edit: Crystanbul!

I realise I'm a bit biased but there are plenty of better games than he mentions there.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Shambles of a list. Where is United Real 4-3? What a game of football despite the result.

Dortmund thrashing Real?

Barcelona thrashing Mourinho's real 5-0?

There's plenty of games that all better than he picked.

What about Newcastle coming back from 4-0 against Arsenal? Or Arsenal beating Inter away.

His list is shit.

Edit: Crystanbul!

I realise I'm a bit biased but there are plenty of better games than he mentions there.
Its games he's attended, not any game.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Cant believe he think the city game was more dramatic than arsenal v scousers. League being decided in last game between the two challengers and virtually last kick of the game?
He was there cheerleading the dippers and even says he had to chuck his pre-written article fellating them for the Liverpool Daily Post in the bin :lol:

Paxi

Its games he's attended, not any game.
Nevertheless, Bayern vs Chelsea final? It was shit game of football. Chelsea got incredibly lucky. Of course these games are going to be subjective but I think that most people will agree that apart from Bayern fluffing their lines and chelsea winning the penalties, that game was entirely forgettable.

Paxi

"Not the game but the occasion"

Yeah, his list is shit.

GeorgieBoy

Odd that he’s only including the games he’s been to.
Doesn’t give any opportunity to debate and discuss his options for anyone else but him.
Either way; shit list.

Schweigaard

Supports
Liverpool
Even more astounding that the 99 final isn't there, is the lack of the 05 final. Even Utd fans have to admit that a 0-3 comeback is more spectacular. It's also one of the weirdest football games ever, with Milan completely dominating yet somehow losing. That Shevchenko double effort in the extra time sums it up nicely. Deserved to be on the list over the 4-3 game vs Newcastle. I also think our 4-4 game vs Arsenal (Arshavin-show) was much better than the Newcastle-game, as was the 4-4 game vs Chelsea in the CL in 09.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Even more astounding that the 99 final isn't there, is the lack of the 05 final. Even Utd fans have to admit that a 0-3 comeback is more spectacular. It's also one of the weirdest football games ever, with Milan completely dominating yet somehow losing. That Shevchenko double effort in the extra time sums it up nicely. Deserved to be on the list over the 4-3 game vs Newcastle. I also think our 4-4 game vs Arsenal (Arshavin-show) was much better than the Newcastle-game, as was the 4-4 game vs Chelsea in the CL in 09.
It’s not for me because of how shite you were overall and that you won on pens. We were losing in stoppage time and at the final whistle had won the game. You were getting battered, had a twenty minute spell before normal service resumed and you got battered more but they didn’t score and you eventually won on pens. It wasn’t nearly as spectacular.