Phil Neville | Portland Timbers head coach | In sexist row

rocks13

Certain 'big' games are absolutely televised. I googled that league, apparently there are ten teams in it. There is also a women's Premier League, which is their second division, I guess? Good luck, Phil.
Doesn't seem like he needs luck. If he needs to familiarise himself with his players it would appear that all the footage he needs is readily available.

The Bloody-Nine

I've no idea. You're the one pushing the idea that he doesn't have enough knowledge already to even pick a squad.
So you have no idea how much footage he will require and you have no idea whether the footage actually exists. Yet you have concluded that "it would appear that all the footage he needs is readily available."

Excellent work.

rocks13

So you have no idea how much footage he will require and you have no idea whether the footage actually exists. Yet you have concluded that "it would appear that all the footage he needs is readily available."

Excellent work.
You're starting to look silly here.

Even if we work on your rather daft premise that Phil Neville is going into this job with no idea of who any England women's footballers are we've established that he will have access to footage of all the team's recent internationals and all top flight games. I would think that's enough to at least learn a few players names.

The Bloody-Nine

You're starting to look silly here.
Beginning your post with an ad hominem. Always a great sign.

Even if we work on your rather daft premise that Phil Neville is going into this job with no idea of who any England women's footballers are we've established that he will have access to footage of all the team's recent internationals and all top flight games. I would think that's enough to at least learn a few players names.
Where did I say Neville is "going into this job with no idea of who any England women's footballers are?" The question was posed, "Why do you need experience in women's football then?"

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/phil-neville-england-womens-head-coach.435912/page-5

I answered.

I have no idea what Neville's experience of women's football is.

rocks13

Beginning your post with an ad hominem. Always a great sign.

Where did I say Neville is "going into this job with no idea of who any England women's footballers are?" The question was posed, "Why do you need experience in women's football then?"

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/phil-neville-england-womens-head-coach.435912/page-5

I answered.

I have no idea what Neville's experience of women's football is.
You posed the question 'If you have no experience of women's football, how can you pick a squad of the best players?' which while it's certainly a valid point seems fairly redundant in a thread about Phil Neville unless you're relating it to him

I've simply been pointing out that even if someone's knowledge of women's football was limited there's more than enough coverage of the game to gather information on the top players who would be in the England squad. I find it strange that you can't accept that.

The Bloody-Nine

You posed the question 'If you have no experience of women's football, how can you pick a squad of the best players?' which while it's certainly a valid point seems fairly redundant in a thread about Phil Neville unless you're relating it to him

I've simply been pointing out that even if someone's knowledge of women's football was limited there's more than enough coverage of the game to gather information on the top players who would be in the England squad. I find it strange that you can't accept that.
I posed that question in reply to what The Religion posted. Which was:

Why do you need experience in women's football then?
I had, and have, no idea how much footage exists, which is why I asked in the first place. I still don't know for certain because no one has provided a source. Someone has posted a link to a highlights site which I haven't clicked on (because I'm at work and I'm pushing it using this site). And you have said that "all top flight games and recent international games are available" which may or may not be true.

rocks13

I posed that question in reply to what The Religion posted. Which was:

I had, and have, no idea how much footage exists, which is why I asked in the first place. I still don't know for certain because no one has provided a source. Someone has posted a link to a highlights site which I haven't clicked on (because I'm at work and I'm pushing it using this site). And you have said that "all top flight games and recent international games are available" which may or may not be true.
That's convenient.

Someone has provided you with a link providing evidence of something you don't believe exists and you've chosen not to click on the link so you continue to believe it doesn't exist.

Excellent work.

The Bloody-Nine

That's convenient.

Someone has provided you with a link providing evidence of something you don't believe exists and you've chosen not to click on the link so you continue to believe it doesn't exist.

Excellent work.
Sigh. I forgot how exhausting it is to post in the Football Forums.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Where did I say there's no footage for him to watch?
I think it's very different, simply because of the different profiles. Men's football is huge, women's football is far from it. Say for example, Silva coming to Hull. Do you think it was difficult for him to watch some Hull matches and get familiar with the players? How do you do that with women, given that their league football gets a tiny, tiny fraction of the coverage?
You make out that getting footage to watch is an issue, it really isn't though.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Then why did you quote me and reply to me?
Because your original response which I quoted was to me, and what kicked off this whole thread of footage. And to the point, you are wrong about the footage

rocks13

Where did I say there's no footage for him to watch?
Again to quote you:-

'I think it's very different, simply because of the different profiles. Men's football is huge, women's football is far from it. Say for example, Silva coming to Hull. Do you think it was difficult for him to watch some Hull matches and get familiar with the players? How do you do that with women, given that their league football gets a tiny, tiny fraction of the coverage?'

Surely, the implication there is that it wouldn't possible be to find footage of all England international women's footballers.

The Bloody-Nine

Because your original response which I quoted was to me, and what kicked off this whole thread of footage. And to the point, you are wrong about the footage
I asked rocks a question which you then quoted and replied to. Post 217.

What are you doing?

The Bloody-Nine

Again to quote you:-

'I think it's very different, simply because of the different profiles. Men's football is huge, women's football is far from it. Say for example, Silva coming to Hull. Do you think it was difficult for him to watch some Hull matches and get familiar with the players? How do you do that with women, given that their league football gets a tiny, tiny fraction of the coverage?'

Surely, the implication there is that it wouldn't possible be to find footage of all England international women's footballers.
So I didn't say it and you just made it up. Excellent work.

rocks13

So I didn't say it and you just made it up. Excellent work.
Great.

So you have no idea what Phil Neville's knowledge of women's football is and you have no idea of what the coverage of women's football is and refuse to check anywhere or even click on a link to find out.

What exactly was your point?

POF

You could be right, time will tell. I will say, his profile means he hasn't made an ideal first impression, I think we can both agree on that.
His profile as in the old twitter comments? Really, who cares about that? It was all tongue in cheek stuff.

Who knows how well he will do but my initial reaction to Phil getting the job was that it was a massive coup and that the players would be thrilled. In here the reaction seemed to be that he was less qualified than someone who coached the Doncaster Belles.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Smart move the sexist tweets, shifting the focus from his job qualifications. Imagine they instead gave him some names, and asked English International or Big Brother Participant. I´m not sure that would have gone so well....:lol:

Nuts

Actually he said he is ‘the right man’ for the job, which is unbelievably stupid considering the circumstances.

How many more chances are the. Neville muppets going to be given? This has got disaster all over it. Under pressure, he still looks just like he did when he gave away the penalty in the WC against Romania - rabbit in headlights...

Duafc

Village Lemon
People with literally no knowledge of the role arguing vehemently against appointment of man with no knowledge of the role.

Great read.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Listened to a clip of him earlier - said he wants the players to "improve under him"

He just can't help himself!!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its difficult for him to defend his corner considering that he always preferred to live in Gaz's shadow and not Tracey's