Pick your 5-A-Side team.

Oranges038

Was watching some YouTube shite of footballers picking their 5 aside teams, I noticed they very rarely pick themselves. So who would you pick for your 5 aside team.

Edit: only rule is you have to pick yourself in your regular position.

Me
Roy Keane
Scholes Del Piero
Rooney

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
-----Neuer
--------Xavi
Messi----Ronaldinho
----------Me

Good luck scoring against against a giant professional keeper in a 5 a side goal. There's no way I'm putting myself in goal especially if I'm up against other pros - I'd reckon you'd break your wrist the first time you accidentally get your hand on a shot.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Neuer
Beckenbauer
Me - Maradona - Ronaldinho

I’ll just stand aside. Putting yourself as a GK or as a defender doesn’t make sense as your team is going to concede way too much.

Oranges038

-----Neuer
--------Xavi
Messi----Ronaldinho
----------Me

Good luck scoring against against a giant professional keeper in a 5 a side goal. There's no way I'm putting myself in goal especially if I'm up against other pros - I'd reckon you'd break your wrist the first time you accidentally get your hand on a shot.
I play in goal, I wouldn't have much to do with Keane there anyway.

Skills

Snitch
Neuer
Beckenbauer
Me - Maradona - Ronaldinho

I’ll just stand aside. Putting yourself as a GK or as a defender doesn’t make sense as your team is going to concede way too much.
I'm a firm believer that your worst player in a 5 a side team should play up top. One of the games I play every week, has this shockingly poor player who insists on playing at the back.

The problem is that if he takes the ball off the keeper, he doesn't have the ability to carry it and any pass he picks out was on for the keeper anyway. And then whenever it's a 1v1 at the back, he gets torched because he doesn't know how to just hold his man off until support gets back.

The wings aren't an option, because you're having to do so much going back and forth. You need to be really fit to be effective there.

It's much easier to hide someone up front. Defensively they just need to mark the other teams defender, and then pull them them away while you're in possession to make space for your better players.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Messi
Iniesta—Falcão (*)
Me
Ederson
(*) Falcão from futsal, not Paulo Roberto Falcão.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
One of the games I play every week, has this shockingly poor player who insists on playing at the back.

The problem is that if he takes the ball off the keeper, he doesn't have the ability to carry it and any pass he picks out was on for the keeper anyway. And then whenever it's a 1v1 at the back, he gets torched because he doesn't know how to just hold his man off until support gets back.
Messi
Iniesta—Falcão (*)
Me
Ederson
(*) Falcão from fustal, not Paulo Roberto Falcão.
I think we’ve found your man!

Querulous Megapode

Neuer
Rijkaard
Iniesta
Ronaldo (the first one)
Romario

Maradona probably should be there, but I think I'm fairly married to this lineup.

Edit: My regular position is spectator, and I'm barely even qualified for that. (Seriously, my eyes are garbage.)

Last edited:

Oranges038

To stop the goal hangers throwing themselves up top, you have to play yourself in your regular position.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
ederson
me
xavi iniesta
messi

sub: beckenbauer

KeanoMagicHat

Me
Xavi - Pirlo - Modric
Scholes

Ideally I wouldn’t face a shot because the opposition would never get the ball.

didz

Rooney
Kante
B.Silva Iniesta
Me

I can play midfield or forward, but I'm going up top here to minimise the damage I can do to my own team. As I can barely dribble, Bernardo and Iniesta can do all of that stuff and they're both selfless enough to set me up for tap ins so I look good. Ish.

Kante gets the nod over other defensive players because he's as nimble as it gets in that position and is also a good dribbler. He ain't getting much help from me, but he'll manage with the other two being willing runners.

Rooney is in goal because he's probably good enough to keep most stuff out in 5-a-side, plus he can score. Or maybe ricochet something off their keeper so I can have another tap in.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Neuer
Me
Maradona-----Iniesta
Ronaldo(R9)

I want to include Falcao from Brazil. But eventually, I decided to put only a footballer in here. I play as a defender in both football and futsal. So, good bye Franz.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I'm a firm believer that your worst player in a 5 a side team should play up top. One of the games I play every week, has this shockingly poor player who insists on playing at the back.

The wings aren't an option, because you're having to do so much going back and forth. You need to be really fit to be effective there.

It's much easier to hide someone up front. Defensively they just need to mark the other teams defender, and then pull them them away while you're in possession to make space for your better players.
The opposite happens in my 5 a side game. I'm a forward and I end up playing at the back because everyone else wants to bomb forward. We have a guy who isn't much better than Choucha* and misses sitter after sitter. The opposition defence doesn't bother marking him because he's so poor, so he's always free, so you always feel obliged to pass it to him. However, as good as you are at defending, if you don't score you won't win. Ironically, even though he's a poor footballer, when he's in his own half, he's a bit of a nuisance to the other side and will close people down, make tackles, etc.

*He's an Algerian lad who is all over social media. He's got a disability and basically goal hangs. His team mates set him up for shots, opposition goalies jump out of the way, and he still misses more than he scores.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Tim Flowers

Bruno Ngotty

Eyal Berkovic Me

Heider Helguson

Nowhere in the thread does it say that it has to be a good 5 a side team….

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Schmeichel

Rio

Pirlo Me

Messi

troylocker

-----Neuer
--------Xavi
Messi----Ronaldinho
----------Me

Close to my picks:

Neuer
L. Matthaus
Messi - Ronaldinho
Me

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Onana
Me
Kimmich Coman
Cantona

You've got to have a little cnut the other players don't really like in every 5 a side team which is why I've gone for Kimmich. Other option was Liverpool's Thiago.

I've gone with Onana so that I don't have to do any actual defending as I'd likely be embarrassed by the majority of opposition teams at this imaginary level. Coman so that we win the 5 a side league, plus he's just a player I love to watch. And yes I've gone with 57 year old Eric Cantona up front because feck you everyone else.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
What a clever thread:
Ederson because of his distribution.
Rio because of his pace, Scholes, Carrick because of their passing accuracy in the floor.
C Ronaldo or Messi pace and shooting.
I would be the manager.

Skills

Snitch
The opposite happens in my 5 a side game. I'm a forward and I end up playing at the back because everyone else wants to bomb forward. We have a guy who isn't much better than Choucha* and misses sitter after sitter. The opposition defence doesn't bother marking him because he's so poor, so he's always free, so you always feel obliged to pass it to him. However, as good as you are at defending, if you don't score you won't win. Ironically, even though he's a poor footballer, when he's in his own half, he's a bit of a nuisance to the other side and will close people down, make tackles, etc.

*He's an Algerian lad who is all over social media. He's got a disability and basically goal hangs. His team mates set him up for shots, opposition goalies jump out of the way, and he still misses more than he scores.
See the problem we have is, our worst player is a non factor defensively. He's extremely unfit, fat and if he misses a tackle he'll give up and put his hands on his hips - as the last fecking man.

A good striker is most useful to counter attack/route 1 from the keeper - and we can occasionally do that if we do have one of our better players up front, as they can quickly turn their man and get a shot off. But with this guy, he always wants the ball off the keeper which means that's not an option because by then support is back so you're having to build up slowly from the back. Most of our goals actually come from the wide men.

Bobski

Unpopular opinion time but I think 5 aside is shit, give me 7/8/9 aside every time ahead of it.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
M People select V

Maldini
Me
Maradona
Messi
Muller

No keeper needed

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
-----Chilavert
----------Me
Zidane--Ronaldinho
----------R9

Tactic: stand the feck out of the way and watch the lads play some stuff like the 'little less conversation' Nike advert.

tomaldinho1

———Onana———
————Me————
Ronaldinho - Zizu
—— Crouch ——