Music Pink Floyd

spwd

You clearly have no taste.
Personal opinion bud, I think muse suck too but loads like them too.

This is akin to saying Paul Scholes was awful and you'd prefer Djemba Djemba.
Kudos for non-conformity, even in the face of appearing ridiculous.
It’s not ridiculous though, only in their fans eyes such as yourself. For me it’s not like comparing Scholes to double D, it’s the other way round, to me floyd are the most boring overrated rubbish I’ve ever heard, but that’s just me, oh and a lot of others too.

You... you do not have good taste.
Oh I do, it’s just not the same as yours, I’m not here to wind you guy’s up, I tried to listen to the song, which I like when performed by TSS, but it was painful to listen to.

If you guy’s like it, then carry on enjoying it, you know, everyone doesn’t think football is the best thing since sliced bread either.

One of my all time favourite songs is Radiohead’s Exit Music (For a Film), Thom Yorke’s voice is amazing on most things but that song is mental, but I bet quite a few won’t agree.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Waters' vocals sound out of tune in that live version of Comfortably Numb. Studio version sounds much better...or at least that part.

Revaulx

Hate The Wall. Hate Gilmour’s guitar. Especially hate Comfortably Numb.

I seem to be the only person in the world to like the first side of Atom Heart Mother though...

Pagh Wraith

I seem to be the only person in the world to like the first side of Atom Heart Mother though...
I decided a long time ago that I want Atom Heart Mother to be played at my funeral. :lol:

Epic piece. Easily in my Floyd Top 5.

Last edited:

Kearnkoff69

I will never forgive you for hating Gilmour, but I am 100% with you on Atom Heart Mother. It's extremely underrated these days.

Pagh Wraith

Cause I've got nothing else to do I've just gone through all the albums to come up with my favourite songs. Started with 10 but that would have left out too many songs I love. Best band of all time.

01 A Saucerful of Secrets (Pompeii or some other live version)
02 Echoes (think I like the version from Gilmour's 2006 tour the best)
03 Cymbaline (live, forget the album version)
04 Brain Damage / Eclipse
05 Atom Heart Mother
06 The Great Gig in the Sky
07 Astronomy Domine
08 Fat Old Sun (again not particularly the album version but I have a 15-minute recording from the BBC archives which is epic)
09 Dogs
10 Time
11 Wearing the Inside Out
12 Set the Control for the Heart of the Sun
13 High Hopes
14 Embryo
15 One of These Days

The first three songs alone run for roughly an hour :lol:

Edit: Get your hands on these two bootlegs if you like early Pink Floyd:

http://bootlegpedia.com/en/product/HRV_CDR_036
http://bootlegpedia.com/en/product/HRV_CDR_007

Ainu

I thought most Pink Floyd fans liked the first side of that album, I certainly do. It's the weird individual compositions on the second side that aren't highly rated.

It’s not ridiculous though, only in their fans eyes such as yourself. For me it’s not like comparing Scholes to double D, it’s the other way round, to me floyd are the most boring overrated rubbish I’ve ever heard, but that’s just me, oh and a lot of others too.
You have your own opinion of course but I don't get how it could be called overrated when the people who rate it that highly really do love it that much.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Honestly have no idea how anybody could hate Gilmour's guitar playing - it is truely wonderful. Anyway, its all opinions I guess but in my opinion he is one of the best guitar players with 'feeling' I have ever heard.

spwd

I thought most Pink Floyd fans liked the first side of that album, I certainly do. It's the weird individual compositions on the second side that aren't highly rated.

You have your own opinion of course but I don't get how it could be called overrated when the people who rate it that highly really do love it that much.

It’s overrated for me but obviously not for you.

Honestly have no idea how anybody could hate Gilmour's guitar playing - it is truely wonderful. Anyway, its all opinions I guess but in my opinion he is one of the best guitar players with 'feeling' I have ever heard.
Even though I don’t like floyd apart from the wall I agree he’s a very good guitarist and love the solo on that single.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Christ, nearly ten minutes long, do they do this on purpose, apart from the guitaring I just, well I cant actually believe anyone likes this shit. The Scissor Sisters version is 100 times better than that crap. I watched that to see if I could understand why you lot like them but it was so fecking slow I gave up at 3.30, cant believe there’s another 6 minutes after that, did they all fall sleep but left the cameras on ? :houllier:
:lol: look at this edgy guy

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It's a natural law that all Pink Floyd discussions lead to pretension, insults and, ultimately, nothing being learned.

Classical Mechanic

‘Overrated’ in this type of discourse really means ‘someone or something that is popular and/or acclaimed that I don’t like.

Last edited:

spwd

There's not liking them because it's not your flavor and then there's the drivel you posted.
Oh right, so most in here have acknowledged that after my posts they realise not everyone may not look on the great floyd like they do. All you can say is I’m posting drivel because I don’t agree with you, I’ve even praised Gilmour and one of their songs yet all you can spout is I’m posting drivel, utter nonsense.

Florida Man

Oh right, so most in here have acknowledged that after my posts they realise not everyone may not look on the great floyd like they do. All you can say is I’m posting drivel because I don’t agree with you, I’ve even praised Gilmour and one of their songs yet all you can spout is I’m posting drivel, utter nonsense.
It’s your opinion, sure, but the whole post is laughable and sounds like it’s edgy in order to provoke responses. Like I said, there’s a difference between not liking them (personal tastes and all) and what you wrote.

Fridge chutney

Cause I've got nothing else to do I've just gone through all the albums to come up with my favourite songs. Started with 10 but that would have left out too many songs I love. Best band of all time.

01 A Saucerful of Secrets (Pompeii or some other live version)
02 Echoes (think I like the version from Gilmour's 2006 tour the best)
03 Cymbaline (live, forget the album version)
04 Brain Damage / Eclipse
05 Atom Heart Mother
06 The Great Gig in the Sky
07 Astronomy Domine
08 Fat Old Sun (again not particularly the album version but I have a 15-minute recording from the BBC archives which is epic)
09 Dogs
10 Time
11 Wearing the Inside Out
12 Set the Control for the Heart of the Sun
13 High Hopes
14 Embryo
15 One of These Days

The first three songs alone run for roughly an hour :lol:

Edit: Get your hands on these two bootlegs if you like early Pink Floyd:

http://bootlegpedia.com/en/product/HRV_CDR_036
http://bootlegpedia.com/en/product/HRV_CDR_007
So true! I got a bootleg with that version and listened to it nonstop. I'd have it in my top 3.

Fridge chutney

My favourite pink Floyd albums:

1) Wish You Were Here
2) A Saucerful of Secrets
3) the Final Cut
3) Meddle
4) the Piper at the gates of Dawn
5) Animals
6) Atom Heart Mother

Not much separating my top 6 to be honest.

Special shout out to the Madcap Laughs, Broken China and Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. I think the solo repertoire of post-Floyd is quite strong.

Florida Man

My favourite pink Floyd albums:

1) Wish You Were Here
2) A Saucerful of Secrets
3) the Final Cut
3) Meddle
4) the Piper at the gates of Dawn
5) Animals
6) Atom Heart Mother

Not much separating my top 6 to be honest.

Special shout out to the Madcap Laughs, Broken China and Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. I think the solo repertoire of post-Floyd is quite strong.
Interesting about having the Final Cut in 3rd. Wasn’t it supposed to be leftovers from The Wall? What do you like about it?

Fridge chutney

Interesting about having the Final Cut in 3rd. Wasn’t it supposed to be leftovers from The Wall? What do you like about it?
It's a loose 3rd because depending on my mood I'd put any of the albums below it, above it.

To be honest I just think it's a beautifully composed album. The gunners dream is particularly lovely, especially when the sax hits. It's largely about his father and WW2 and it always resonated with me when I was younger. As a whole I like it more than the Wall.

To note, The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking was a Waters solo album that came a year after the final cut. It's also excellent and those years are amongst the greatest writing periods of Waters' career (imo).

Revaulx

I will never forgive you for hating Gilmour, but I am 100% with you on Atom Heart Mother. It's extremely underrated these days.
Even Alan’s Psychadelic Breakfast would be great if you took the stupid talking out of it.

More is an excellent album as well, though I’ve never been sold on Ummagumma.

Revaulx

I like the second side as well. Alan’s Psychadelic Breakfast clearly needs some drastic editing, but its good bits are brilliant.

I think all of the post-Barrett pre-Meddle stuff is interesting, though not all of it is equally successful; More and AHM are a lot better than Ummagumma. It’s once they “found themselves” on Meddle, especially Echoes, that I start to have difficulty liking them. It all gets very calculating, and I find it hard to be moved by Waters’ cynicism.

Animals is great though; it’s beautifully paced and constructed and the anger is real and not just an individual’s bitterness. I even like Gilmour’s guitar; it feels like an integral part of the sound, rather than him having wandered in from a different band.

Reddy Rederson

Christ, nearly ten minutes long, do they do this on purpose, apart from the guitaring I just, well I cant actually believe anyone likes this shit. The Scissor Sisters version is 100 times better than that crap. I watched that to see if I could understand why you lot like them but it was so fecking slow I gave up at 3.30, cant believe there’s another 6 minutes after that, did they all fall sleep but left the cameras on ? :houllier:
I remember years ago my mate phoned me up early doors to tell me about this version of the song was on tv and give it a listen. He got a swift kick in the balls the next time I saw him.

I know everybody has different tastes and whatnot, but fecking hell.

Pscholes18

Listening to some Final Cut songs....underrated album.... probably more a straight Waters album...still very good, really enjoying the lyrics.

Pscholes18

Speaking of Waters, it's really too bad he's a total cnut...the music him and Glimour could of been making all these years that have passed. Both still excellent in their right as solo artists.

Pscholes18

I'm going to the Birmingham gig on Saturday with someone who knows Roger Waters (from Childhood...he also knew Roger/Sid Barrett), so I'm having dinner with him before the gig...probably end up with him saying "Hi" before I have to go and sit down the bottom of the table but as a huge Floyd fan, I may lose my shit.
So how did that dinner go?

Classical Mechanic

Speaking of Waters, it's really too bad he's a total cnut...the music him and Glimour could of been making all these years that have passed. Both still excellent in their right as solo artists.
I was reading an article on Water in The Guardian the other day and this made me smile

It takes the form of a story about a foreign journalist who attempted to kick off a recent interview with the words: “A friend of mine wanted to ask you if Pink Floyd would be re-forming.” Waters is reputed to have responded: “Tell your friend to feck off.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/sep/23/roger-waters-the-wall-interview-pink-floyd

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Whatever album you choose, it's just masterpiece after masterpiece but I do love Meddle. ;)

On spotify, I really love Delicate sound of thunder.