PK Shootouts to decide the PL

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Someone may have already suggest this...

Let's play out each match in a PK shootout with slightly different rules.

- Home team hosts and decides if they want to go first or last
- Fans are welcome and social distancing is observed
- Have two matches start on the hour starting at 11:00AM so as to maximize use of the sun (it kills virus on surfaces fairly quickly) and last matches start at 3:00PM
- Matches are scheduled every other day or every 3 days
- Final matches all start at the same time
- Coach picks 11 players for each match, 7 players take PKs with three subs (this minimizes the numbers and staff)
- If tied after 7 PKs, then start sudden death with the 7 again but 3 subs are allowed

This would be pretty fun to watch. Liverpool will be able to celebrate their title, and CL and relegation would be decided fairly. I think the excitement and pressure would grow for each match day.

What do you think?

Judas

Open to offers
I don't know how anyone could take a completed season seriously if it was finished in such a comical way, it would render the whole thing beyond meaningless.

Would be entertaining for the daftness of it all, but it would be basically a joke.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
:lol:

We could make the players that dont take PKs to fight each other with big pugil stick to maintain the 2mts social distance. Sort of like the Gladiators of 1990s fame.
Job done

kOPpx_bShpU

gerdm07

I don't know how anyone could take a completed season seriously if it was finished in such a comical way, it would render the whole thing beyond meaningless.

Would be entertaining for the daftness of it all, but it would be basically a joke.
It's not a good or great way to decide, but it's fair and doable. It's something like this, void the season, or decide everything based on 28 matches.

Like most people, I hate for Cups to be decided on PKs but it's the only fair way at times.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Why would this make social distancing for fans easier than in normal match?

Sure Norwich would be delighted to do this with Krul in goal.

gerdm07

Why would this make social distancing for fans easier than in normal match?

Sure Norwich would be delighted to do this with Krul in goal.
One, I think fewer people would attend a 20 minute PK shootout than a regular match. Two, the match is quick which means less mingling. I believe in the free market and I would just let each club decide how they handle fans for the match and if any PPE is needed. Most clubs would make responsible decisions.

Utdstar01

Somebody already jokingly suggested this yesterday and it's just a terrible idea.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
You could finish the entire season in a day in one neutral venue. A non-stop penalty carnival.

Each team names a 20 man squad, and every player has to take a penalty, like a batting order, and it goes down the queue until its back to the start. Then you go again in the same order, until all fixtures are played.

It's an awful idea, but I'd still watch the whole thing for the novelty value of it. These are unprecedented times. Let's make a show of it.

welshwingwizard

One, I think fewer people would attend a 20 minute PK shootout than a regular match. Two, the match is quick which means less mingling. I believe in the free market and I would just let each club decide how they handle fans for the match and if any PPE is needed. Most clubs would make responsible decisions.
Yeh the free market is well known for making socially responsible decisions and putting people before profit;):rolleyes:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Classic MLS style penalties would be fun

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
But fans being at the stadium is arguably one of the areas of least concern. It's the public transport, policing, first-aiders, etc that all need to be included. Even if you got 10% of Old Trafford showing up you'd have to be dealing with 7,500 fans - how many packed trains/buses is that? Good luck finding local councils/public transport providers willing to support that.

Whatever the decision is with playing out the rest of the season, I think everyone can be certain it won't have any fans attending it.

Teja

It just becomes dumb luck at that point. Might as well generate some random numbers on a computer and decide who gets to win each game based on that. Compute points totals mathematically and be done with it.

gerdm07

It just becomes dumb luck at that point. Might as well generate some random numbers on a computer and decide who gets to win each game based on that. Compute points totals mathematically and be done with it.
I agree that a PK shootout is a crap shoot and each team has a 50/50 chance to win. However, if you do this for 10 matches then the more talented teams will succeed more. If teams take 11 PKs (see revision below) then that increases the likelyhood the more talented teams will win or draw.

Slight revision:
Coach chooses 14 players and names starting 11 and all 11 take a PK. We even have a half-time to give the GKs a break and time to regroup. No sudden death for draws, just end with a draw. The subs are there for injuries during warm-up or for the keeper.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Pens are not enough. I want an NFL style combine. Penalties, kick-ups, races (while controlling the ball), who can throw/kick the ball the furthest, etc.

I'd welcome any sort of football related competition at the moment.

Obviously not at all a fair way to decide the league but whatever. Unless they play all the games out, 2019/2020 is a non-season.

iHicksy

Might as well make them play FIFA vs each other. It would at least be a more realistic representation of football.