PL Top 4 race

Dansk

Anyone know the specifics of what it'll take for 5th place to give CL qualification? What's the rule?

pacifictheme

Top 2 leagues in the 23/24 european season get an extra spot each. Currently EPL sits in 5th place:
https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2024
Epl is first in that list?

To add to that we are miles ahead in first and our weakest season is the oldest so even a bad showing this season will likely see us maintain first and certainly second.

Or are you saying unlike every other year it is just this season's results that determine next season?

JinnerJamie

Small ginger

To add to that we are miles ahead in first and our weakest season is the oldest so even a bad showing this season will likely see us maintain first and certainly second.

Or are you saying unlike every other year it is just this season's results that determine next season?
I think it goes to the best performing countries that season.

Turkey and Belgium at the moment.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I suspect United may finish 4th ahead of Villa, Spurs and Newcastle. Long long way to go though.

tomaldinho1

If you'd have told me at the start of the season we'd be 6 off 1st with all the off field issues, injuries, general negativity around the club and McT being joint top scorer on 3 goals, I would have begged you for it to be true.

redshaw

Yes it does seem to be one place up for grabs, City Arse, Pool looking very strong.

We've got a chance at least and could finish the season better. If us and Newcastle wake up in the CL we could open up a 5th place.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
If you'd have told me at the start of the season we'd be 6 off 1st with all the off field issues, injuries, general negativity around the club and McT being joint top scorer on 3 goals, I would have begged you for it to be true.
Lets talk again in a couple of weeks :D

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Not necessarily - poor performance from both United's in the CL thus far is making the 5th place less likely
The standings at the moment are slightly irrelevant. Both Turkey and Belgium will get blown away once the knockouts start. Both have benefitted from their points being divided on 4 and 5 teams respectively (total slots that entered the European competitions at any stage this season). Germany and Italy have their points divided on 7 teams, that's why they are slightly ahead of England and Spain who have their points divided on 8 teams.

England have been the top nation in each of the last 3 years. The cheats will likely reach the semis at least. Dippers favorites for Europa. United with one more win will likely get Europa and a decent KO run. Villa clear favorites for Conference. Not to mention Arse, Hammers and Brighton who all are capable of winning at least one round of KOs. I don't see two other countries bettering England.

Yakuza_devils

Top 4? What Top 4 race? We are 6 points off the top. Are we not in the title race? :wenger:

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football

As I said, top 2 in 23/24 season. The website lists the coefficient for the past 5 years and the link is not adaptable, but if you click on 23/24 it will rank you the nations for the current season.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The standings at the moment are slightly irrelevant. Both Turkey and Belgium will get blown away once the knockouts start. Both have benefitted from their points being divided on 4 and 5 teams respectively (total slots that entered the European competitions at any stage this season). Germany and Italy have their points divided on 7 teams, that's why they are slightly ahead of England and Spain who have their points divided on 8 teams.

England have been the top nation in each of the last 3 years. The cheats will likely reach the semis at least. Dippers favorites for Europa. United with one more win will likely get Europa and a decent KO run. Villa clear favorites for Conference. Not to mention Arse, Hammers and Brighton who all are capable of winning at least one round of KOs. I don't see two other countries bettering England.
Yes it's certainly possible, maybe even probable but far from guaranteed

ti vu

This season coefficient alone determines the extra CL spots for 5th place for next season. Over time if clubs from top leagues perform so bad and their 5 year coefficient lose out, UEFA may have to revise and transfer the guarantee spot to a new high performing league. This however is highly unlikely for the big 4 leagues. French clubs are more in danger zone to lose out Portuguese or Dutch league for example.

The standing right now is hugely irrelevant because it only takes into account the standing as is of clubs in European competitions.

For example: just look at CL alone, we see that there are 3 German clubs already qualified for KO round. 4 out of 5 from Spain are qualified for KO round. Italy has Inter and Lazio ready for KO round. Napoli is currently second in their group. These 3 countries happened to be at the top of current coefficient table. Whereas only Man City is current qualified for KO round. Us sitting at the bottom of our group and Newcastle at third place in theirs wouldn't reflect nicely in comparison.

Even if a league only have 2 representatives for KO round, if these 2 teams go deep as in reaching semi and one make final, it would still finish better than 4 teams from other leagues, all getting eliminated by quarter final round

Last edited:

jadajos

Supports
Football
It will be a pretty sad sight having United fans cheer on EPL champions City in a CL semi final against Real or Bayern just so United might edge a fifth place CL spot behind Tottenham or Villa.

Last edited:

HappyCamper

Supports
Liverpool
Brain says:
1. City
2. Arsenal
3. Liverpool
4. Newcastle
5. United

United is picking up unbelievable many points to be playing way under their real potential and it's a long way to go so who knows. Getting some players back from injury will obviously help and based on Rashfords long periods of weak performances every now and then (obviously mental problems once anything at all goes against him) my read is that he will find form soon if the rumours of him getting back with his ex-fiancee is true.

Last edited:

cyberman

This season coefficient alone determines the extra CL spots for 5th place for next season. Over time if clubs from top leagues perform so bad and their 5 year coefficient lose out, UEFA may have to revise and transfer the guarantee spot to a new high performing league. This however is highly unlikely for the big 4 leagues. French clubs are more in danger zone to lose out Portuguese or Dutch league for example.

The standing right now is hugely irrelevant because it only takes into account the standing as is of clubs in European competitions.

For example: just look at CL alone, we see that there are 3 German clubs already qualified for KO round. 4 out of 5 from Spain are qualified for KO round. Italy has Inter and Lazio ready for KO round. Napoli is currently second in their group. These 3 countries happened to be at the top of current coefficient table. Whereas only Man City is current qualified for KO round. Us sitting at the bottom of our group and Newcastle at third place in theirs wouldn't reflect nicely in comparison.

Even if a league only have 2 representatives for KO round, if these 2 teams go deep as in reaching semi and one make final, it would still finish better than 4 teams from other leagues, all getting eliminated by quarter final round
Does El set the same weight as CL? If Newcastle go into EL (don’t think we can) then our league is stacked in that competition to a stupidly high standard. Villa should stroll the conference league as well

ti vu

Does El set the same weight as CL? If Newcastle go into EL (don’t think we can) then our league is stacked in that competition to a stupidly high standard. Villa should stroll the conference league as well
EL, ECL do contribute to the coefficient of the the leagues. Logic would say EL and ELC would contribute less than the equivalent in CL, but I don't know/ unsure about the calculation, and how points difference between these competitions are assigned at the moment.

IIRC, the writing says like the ranking to award the 5th CL spots are only applied for top 4 leagues. The 5th ranked league would be awarded an extra CL spot since their league are not guaranteed 4 CL places. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

weizxx

Wish I had the positive attitude you guys have.

We will finish outside 8th before new year's eve.

jadajos

Supports
Football
EL, ECL do contribute to the coefficient of the the leagues. Logic would say EL and ELC would contribute less than the equivalent in CL, but I don't know/ unsure about the calculation, and how points difference between these competitions are assigned at the moment.
Points for win/draw are the same, but CL teams get a huge bonus for qualifying for the round of 16. You also get 4 points just for being in the CL group stages per team, whereas in EL only the group winner gets 4 points (2 for runner-up). Conference League obviously gives even lower points.

Source:
https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/club/about/

IIRC, the writing says like the ranking to award the 5th CL spots are only applied for top 4 leagues. The 5th ranked league would be awarded an extra CL spot since their league are not guaranteed 4 CL places. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Obvioulsy it's not a "5 CL spots" rule, it's just +1 CL spot and how many places a national league gets will still depend on the amount of CL spots a league gets to begin with. This in turn is dependent on the 5 year performance, where England, Spain, Italy and Germany lead comfortably for the top 4 nations that are awarded 4 CL spots - with England a distant first, even. More info on the new rules here:
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...champions-league-post-2024-everything-you-ne/

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It will be a pretty sad sight having United fans cheer on EPL champions City in a CL semi final against Real or Bayern just so United might edge a fifth place CL spot behind Tottenham or Villa.
Ye this is the horrible scenario we may well be faced with !

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's between Newcastle, Villa and Spurs. Chelsea have probably left themselves too much to do.

The Irish Connection

If we can get some of the injured players back soon and maybe a cheeky signing or two in January we’d have a good chance.
if we can somehow nick a result at anfield it’ll be huge.

SER19

So this weekend, Palace draw with pool, villa beat arsenal, and we manage to beat bournemouth, spurs draw with newcastle. Thats how it will happen, yes?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Like last season Brighton are bit of a sleeper team currently.

Endless injuries and had europe to contend with for first time in their history and yet despite inconsistent results are two points off 5th (which will surely become CL spot in May).

Got winnable fixtures like Burnley and Palace coming up.

It will be pretty competitive as 5th place is sometimes low 60s points total so will be a few involved in the race, West Ham have suddenly come back into contention with the win tonight.

AnotherLondonManc

Like last season Brighton are bit of a sleeper team currently.

Endless injuries and had europe to contend with for first time in their history and yet despite inconsistent results are two points off 5th (which will surely become CL spot in May).

Got winnable fixtures like Burnley and Palace coming up.

It will be pretty competitive as 5th place is sometimes low 60s points total so will be a few involved in the race, West Ham have suddenly come back into contention with the win tonight.
I'm probably missing something obvious, but why would 5th place become a Champions League spot?

JogaBonitoRooney

Is there a way to track which league gets the extra CL spot? If England are on track to get it, it should be a top 5 race.