g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Player who would excel in all positions on the pitch

tomaldinho1

Wazza is the obvious one - he basically played everywhere for us in his time here.

Current players, probably boring Milner

Bobski

From the current squad would think guys like Dalot and Shaw could make a decent go of most positions, good technical and physical abilities, maybe Lisandro but he is a bit slow for the attacking spots.

GazTheLegend

McTominay (he used to be a striker in his younger days don’t you know).
Plays in a back three for Scotland too so this is unironically the closest thing we have right now. Sad to say he doesn't play particularly -well- as a midfielder, defender or striker but he -can-.

In terms of the Premier League there really aren't many jack-of-all-trades are there.

Oldyella

Brian McClair, he could play here there and every fecking where

Gordon S

Darren Fletcher, he played pretty much anywhere. Superversatile

dcrompton

Surprised no-one’s mentioned the one United player who wore every shirt from 2-11 in days when the number represented the position on pitch. Clayton Blackmore, ultimate utility man

ROFLUTION

Solskjær is a decent shout. Worked hard, took over the right from Becks at one point. Clever player too.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Evra, would fancy him in most positions. I'd also say Alan Smith would be able to play anywhere asked

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I know it says former, but Luke Shaw an obvious standout of the current bunch. Marvellous footballer, technically and physically supreme.

Left-field, but Quinton Fortune played a stack of different positions - especially as a utility sub off the bench.

He was rarely great (had his moments though) but was always committed and almost always solid enough.

lex talionis

The only two who come to mind if we’re asking who would “excel” at any position —forget about keeper — are Beckenbauer and Rooney. Not just manage in spot duty, but actually excel.

colombianmancunian

Rooney is the obvious answer. Strong, quick, with q good pass a a good shot, disciplined and with a high football IQ. I’ll also say Ronaldo, he is like a more talented version of Rooney.

Some people are mentioning Edwards, I’m just 34 so never saw the guy, but have read what people such as sir Bobby said about him. The guy would have probably won a Ballon D’or with us.

Steve Bruce

Dion Dublin, he is mostly known as a striker but was a capable CB. Probably could play in most positions on the pitch

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
Paul McGrath wonderful defender, centre mid, win everything in the air, some lovely goals, and a wonder goal that never was against the Dutch at USA94
Honourable mentions to Luis Enrique and Ruud Gullit and to a lesser extent Maldini, Zanetti and Paddy Vierra
And while not among the great names, Stevie Staunton and Paul Warhurst were very adapt at most positions, just good all round footballers
Also agree with Rooney comments, height would be an issue at centre back but great all round footballer

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Beckham. Winger, wingback, probably a fullback, and a central midfielder. Maybe even a no.10.

Roy Keane could probably have played any of the back 6 positions (the four defenders + two central midfielder) roles.

Rooney could have (and did) play any of the attacking roles, and occasionally central midfield.

In the current side, I think Luke Shaw strikes me as the most versatile, though I think he'd struggle in right hand areas of the field owing to his weaker foot.