Players contracts (The right to leave vs the right to player protection)

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Ok off the back of the Fofana injury (truly hope hope he comes back stronger) and I am just spit balling. What would people reaction be if a club decided a major injury would lessen the effectiveness of a player, should they be allowed to protest at having to pay the wages of said player and even contemplate the termination/Lessing of wages of the contract? Obviously I am being a tad facetious here and do not condone it, but the members who say, "a club shouldn't stand in the way of a player leaving"...does it not work both ways, no matter how rare these incidences are, should contract be respected more than they currently are?

pacifictheme

As with all these sorts of thing there are more rights for an employee than an employer. And there should be.

Jev

The clubs surely have insurances which would cover expenses in case of serious injuries.

AgentSmith

Ok off the back of the Fofana injury (truly hope hope he comes back stronger) and I am just spit balling. What would people reaction be if a club decided a major injury would lessen the effectiveness of a player, should they be allowed to protest at having to pay the wages of said player and even contemplate the termination/Lessing of wages of the contract? Obviously I am being a tad facetious here and do not condone it, but the members who say, "a club shouldn't stand in the way of a player leaving"...does it not work both ways, no matter how rare these incidences are, should contract be respected more than they currently are?
No.

arthurka

Absolutely not. He got injured working for them.

Dominos

If you want to be able to leave for another club whenever you feel like, don't sign a long term contract, and if you do then you need to put a fair release clause in there.

I've got no sympathy with Kane. Spurs aren't obligated to let him leave for whatever price City feel like paying because Kane wants to go.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Absolutely not. He got injured working for them.
Are their any instances of a player who got injured close to the end of the contract and the club just letting them go? I know Carzola had a horrific injury but i'm not quite sure how that effected his exit from Arsenal.

Jev

How does that work in realty?
What do you mean, how insurances work in general? Exactly the same as your own insurances. They pay an amount of money to an insurance company who then covers the salaries in case of injuries.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Both ways would imply that the player is financially compensated.

Swedish_Plumber

Yeah that’s a pretty ridiculous notion, particularly given the nature of sport. It’s not the players fault for the injury (obviously). But it’s also not on the players that there’s so much money in the sport and that clubs offer such money to them.

Maybe in a situation where you have a chronically injured player signing for a team on a ‘pay as you play’ basis, but then that’s at the agreement of player and club.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
That's almost certainly unfair dismissal. If you are sick in a 'regular' job the employer has to give you reasonable time to recover. Sports clubs cannot act like businesses and then try to pretend that they are different when it comes to employment law.

Frosty

Frosty

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm with you here. The same way a contract binds a club to compensating an injured player, it binds a player to perform for the club for the duration, unless the player and club come to an agreement.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'm with you here. The same way a contract binds a club to compensating an injured player, it binds a player to perform for the club for the duration, unless the player and club come to an agreement.
I see it that way, but why is it totally ignored when the media decide a player should be allowed to leave? Big, bad club imprisoning a player? Yet ignoring the security it gives a player, yes a career diminishing injury is rare, but it does happen and its not picky as to who it happens to.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I see it that way, but why is it totally ignored when the media decide a player should be allowed to leave? Big, bad club imprisoning a player? Yet ignoring the security it gives a player, yes a career diminishing injury is rare, but it does happen and its not picky as to who it happens to.
By who? The fans? People usually side with the smaller entity (unless there are stronger biases that overrule that)

Luckily, their opinion doesn't matter.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Are their any instances of a player who got injured close to the end of the contract and the club just letting them go? I know Carzola had a horrific injury but i'm not quite sure how that effected his exit from Arsenal.
I'm not sure if this fits, but Chelsea kept renewing Marco van Ginkel's contract while he was battling back from endless serious injuries. Released him earlier this summer after 7 years at the club so he could sign for PSV on a free.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
They will have insurance for this, they won’t lose out financially

GBBQ

Well the fact that they got injured in service of the team I don't know how the employee could wash their hands of them. Injuries are a fact of life in football and any signing has the potential to have a career ending injury at any point in the contract. Its the risk clubs take and so they should absolutely honour the contract.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They will have insurance for this, they won’t lose out financially
They absolutely will, their premium sky rockets and the excess gets increased to a figure that makes most future claims virtually pointless.

I used to work for a firm who did a premier league club's policy. One of the few times in my career that reading a policy was vaguely interesting!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If you want to be able to leave for another club whenever you feel like, don't sign a long term contract, and if you do then you need to put a fair release clause in there.

I've got no sympathy with Kane. Spurs aren't obligated to let him leave for whatever price City feel like paying because Kane wants to go.
Loyalty is a two way street, Danny Rose was loyal to Spurs for over a decade but as soon as his level dropped Levy was whoring him out to all insundry with no sense of gratitude for his service.

It's hypocritical for clubs to complain when the tables are turned, say for argument sake Kane stays and proceeds to do a Torres/Alexis nosedive Levy would then have no qualms trying to palm him off on whoever the hell would have him.

Also what is hypocritical with Levy is he is adamant Kane is worth over £150m then okay, shouldn't he then be offering wages to reflect that?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Injuries for athletes is a workplace hazard. Would be ridiculous if your employer decided not to pay you for getting injured in the workplace due to no fault of your own. That's why these clubs have insurance.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Loyalty is a two way street, Danny Rose was loyal to Spurs for over a decade but as soon as his level dropped Levy was whoring him out to all insundry with no sense of gratitude for his service.

It's hypocritical for clubs to complain when the tables are turned, say for argument sake Kane stays and proceeds to do a Torres/Alexis nosedive Levy would then have no qualms trying to palm him off on whoever the hell would have him.

Also what is hypocritical with Levy is he is adamant Kane is worth over £150m then okay, shouldn't he then be offering wages to reflect that?
Yeah, loyalty in football has always been kind of one sided. Fans are the same. Fans are the same, happy to get rid of players who aren't meeting the standards, but get super offended if that same player outgrown the club's ambitions and wants to leave.

Kane is getting £200k a week at Spurs…. pretty much amongst the prem’s highest earners.

For context, last season only Aguero, Sterling and De Bruyne earned more at City. Aguero £230k p/w and the highest De Bruyne £360k p/w

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Tbf if players respect the contracts and then leave on free transfer they get shit loads of abuse.

That's why it's weird when people compare football to their 9-5 jobs.

Every player and every club does what they think best suits them.

Nico87