Players that could’ve declared for other national teams

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
List could be pretty big so post the most interesting and obscure ones.

Here are my picks.

Ross Barkley - Nigeria
Erling Haaland - England
Eric Dier - Portgual
Christian Pulisic - Croatia

Edited,

Incorrect names removed.

Last edited:

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Too many grammar Nazi's in this thread, Just answer the damn question.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No he couldn’t. Nor could De Bruyne for that matter. Debatable if Haaland could either. Not a great start when half your examples are wrong.

And it is have not of.
Haaland is eligible,

Do you want me to explain it for you?.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I can’t answer this question on account of poor grammar.

acnumber9

Being born in Leeds doesn’t give you automatic right to British citizenship, so very much up for debate actually.
From Gov.U.K.:

If at least one of your parents was a citizen of an EU or EEA country when you were born
You’re automatically a British citizen if when you were born at least one of your parents was both:

• a citizen of a country that was in the EU or the EEAand had full free movement rights - people from Portugal and Spain got these rights on 1 January 1992
  • living in the UK, and working or studying here
If the parent that meets these conditions is your father, he must have been married to your mother when you were born.

paulscholes18

Never knew Barkley could have played for Nigeria

Had Football had similar rules to Cricket both Cudicini and Arteta could have ended up with caps for England.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Could Owen have played for Wales?
Harry Kane was eligible for Rep. Ireland

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
From Gov.U.K.:

If at least one of your parents was a citizen of an EU or EEA country when you were born
You’re automatically a British citizen if when you were born at least one of your parents was both:

• a citizen of a country that was in the EU or the EEAand had full free movement rights - people from Portugal and Spain got these rights on 1 January 1992
  • living in the UK, and working or studying here
If the parent that meets these conditions is your father, he must have been married to your mother when you were born.
Sure, so op can have 3/5 then.

Bole Top

Messi obviously, he rejected Spain several times.

with Podolski was the opposite. he was actually deemed not good enough for Poland and was rejected by their manager, then the Germans came and the rest is history.

Rakitic and Higuain.

Halftrack

Children of immigrant parents will often be eligible for their parents country of origin. Lukaku could have played for DR Congo, Pogba could have played for Guinea, Benzema could have played for Algerie, and so on.

Hargreaves could have played for Canada or Wales, and I think he was like one year off being eligible for Germany when he declared for England.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Children of immigrant parents will often be eligible for their parents country of origin. Lukaku could have played for DR Congo, Pogba could have played for Guinea, Benzema could have played for Algerie, and so on.

Hargreaves could have played for Canada or Wales, and I think he was like one year off being eligible for Germany when he declared for England.
Which begs the question, why would we make a list that would contain about half of professional footballers?

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Which begs the question, why would we make a list that would contain about half of professional footballers?
List could be pretty big so post the most interesting and obscure ones.

That's what I posted in the opening post.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Andy Johnson (ex Palace striker) was talking the other day about having Polish grandparents and they were in contact and were about to call him up but England heard and put him in the squad for Holland friendly in Feb 2005. Think that was the game Sven put him on the left wing even though he scored 20 in the premier league that season.:lol:

Think Matthew Cash qualifies for Poland aswell and there's been a few discussions so given how stacked England are at RB currently might be something to look at.

limerickcitykid

Wasn't Rooney eligible for Ireland or have I just imagined that?
He was, his brother tried to declare for Ireland but obviously wasn’t good enough.

As were Gerrard who’s cousin played for Ireland, Rio as well who’s cousin also played for Ireland. Scholes I believe is part Irish too. Darren Fletcher and Gascoigne too. Tim Cahill actually took it to court to play for Ireland but wasn’t allowed, under current rules he’d have been eligible. Basically half of English players have an Irish grandparent somewhere.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What makes them obscure or interesting?
FootballHQ has just made a post about Matty Cash being eligible for Poland. As a football fan I never knew that I find that interesting. It's just basic judgement on what players would be interesting to post. For example Andrew Ayew being eligible for France, I'd say many people would not bothered about that to be honest.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Could Arteta ever have played for England or was that a complete myth? I remember lots of people my age being excited by the idea, not sure why cause he was never anything more than a decent midfielder.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
He was, his brother tried to declare for Ireland but obviously wasn’t good enough.

As were Gerrard who’s cousin played for Ireland, Rio as well who’s cousin also played for Ireland. Scholes I believe is part Irish too. Darren Fletcher and Gascoigne too. Tim Cahill actually took it to court to play for Ireland but wasn’t allowed, under current rules he’d have been eligible.
Bizzare that. You could argue that the prestige of playing for Australia during his time period would far out weigh any benefit of playing for Ireland. Not being rude to the Irish because you've had some great players, but Australia between 2000 and up to 2010 had some more than handy players in it and was probably better than the Irish team.

Its a pitty we didn't have more competent coaching staff either side of Guus Hiddink because that player group deserved it.

Irrespective, Timmy will go down arguably as Australia's greatest ever player (admittedly not its most talented).

limerickcitykid

Laporte probably 'should of'.
Was never actually eligible since he’d played for France youth in official competition before being a Spanish citizen. The rules have now changed this season so he’d now be eligible but he said he decided against getting Spanish citizenship.

Could Arteta ever have played for England or was that a complete myth? I remember lots of people my age being excited by the idea, not sure why cause he was never anything more than a decent midfielder.
The home nations agreement stops England from naturalizing players, they require 5 years of schooling. So none of Arteta, Adnan, Almunia, Angel Rangel etc were ever eligible.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Jack Grealish and Declan Rice could've played for Ireland, dont think that's ever been discussed on here.
Obviously it must get mentioned all the time

But you cant blame us. 2 players that could have changed the entire outlook of Irish international football for a more than a decade.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
FootballHQ has just made a post about Matty Cash being eligible for Poland. As a football fan I never knew that I find that interesting. It's just basic judgement on what players would be interesting to post. For example Andrew Ayew being eligible for France, I'd say many people would not bothered about that to be honest.
So you want a list of players from "exotic"/unexpected countries? Because outside of Dier your OP doesn't make it clear, you put three obvious ones. Now for example would Thiago being eligible for three countries be interesting, he is born in Italy but grew up between Brazil and Spain?

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
So you want a list of players from "exotic"/unexpected countries? Because outside of Dier your OP doesn't make it clear, you put three obvious ones. Now for example would Thiago being eligible for three countries be interesting, he is born in Italy but grew up between Brazil and Spain?
It's getting back to what I said before with it being based on your own judgement. You say a list of players from exotic/unexpected countries but It all depends on their ability and relevance. I'm not asking for the whole list. The reason why I posted the others because they are big name players which people would be interested in.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Was never actually eligible since he’d played for France youth in official competition before being a Spanish citizen. The rules have now changed this season so he’d now be eligible but he said he decided against getting Spanish citizenship.

The home nations agreement stops England from naturalizing players, they require 5 years of schooling. So none of Arteta, Adnan, Almunia, Angel Rangel etc were ever eligible.
God, think of the hours people wasted debating what Arteta could bring to the England side and all along he never could.