Players that support a different football club

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
We always hear that different players support different clubs.

So what happens when they support a league rival?

Who is Luke Shaw rooting for? United or Chelsea? Will he be conflicted if we missed top 4 because Chelsea got the last spot?

Should we brainwash him?

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Neuer used to be a Schalke Ultra
When he was signed, The Bayern Ultra gave him the below rules, Don't know if they are still in effect

1) Neuer must never simulate or initiate the team's megaphone chants.

2) Neuer must not kneel before the team and sing the 'Humba' song.

3) Neuer is prohibited from approaching the South Stand fence.

4) Neuer should not throw his shirt into the South Stand.

5) Neuer may not kiss the Bavarian crest

OmarUnited4ever

Michael Owen & Jamie Carragher were Everton fans before they joined Liverpool, not sure how it was for them but I imagine them as kids who got their dream to be part of professional football team when they were in the youth setup .

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
When he was signed, The Bayern Ultra gave him the below rules, Don't know if they are still in effect

Bizarre.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

Is this real?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Michael Owen & Jamie Carragher were Everton fans before they joined Liverpool, not sure how it was for them but I imagine them as kids who got their dream to be part of professional football team when they were in the youth setup .
Pretty sure Gerrard, McManaman and maybe Fowler were boyhood Everton fans too.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

I would tell them to get to feck if I were a multiple CL and Bundesliga winner like Neuer.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What happens? They do their job and try to win.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Do fans really care? Would any Man United fans be bothered at all if they signed this Man City fan?

Are Spurs fans bothered that this guy was a Gooner?

The current "Mr Chelsea" Mason Mount is Portsmouth fan and we couldn't love him any more than we do.

Oranges038

John Terry is a Man United fan. Maybe that penalty went exactly where he wanted it to...
He denied it another time and admitted to being a glory hunter in another interview.

Either way, he looked a total twat after two champions league finals.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ole was a Liverpool fan, no?

Ravel Morrison an Arsenal fan

O’Shea was a Liverpool fan

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
A lot of players seem to switch allegiance after successful periods playing for a club. Rio is 100% a United fan now, but he wasn't prior to playing for us. Wasn't Ole a Liverpool fan growing up too?

But I'd doubt who you support impacts on how you do your job. Look at those Welbeck celebrations against us. Players will be hard-wired to win, they'd two-foot their own mum to do it.

Oranges038

He's an Essex boy who supported Man United when you were winning everything, it goes without saying he was a glory hunter!
Yeap.

A huge Utd fan who, when he had the chance, chose Chelsea over Man Utd, even went against his own father who was a Utd fan. His father even refused to go out with him to sign the forms because he wanted him to go to Utd.

Maybe he was just one of those kids who liked football but didn't really like any one team. I think they do exist.

Footballers are professionals. Supporting a club that they did when a child means little to them.

many fans can’t comprehend this.

ask yourself this question. As a 16 year old, if you were given the opportunity to sign pro terms with Liverpool, would you?

the answer should be yes, and if you went on to play for them, you wouldn’t care less about United anymore.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I've no doubts Terry would have eventually been sold to United had the Russian criminal not saved the club. Seem to recall some rumors out there Terry was considering an exit.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeap.

A huge Utd fan who, when he had the chance, chose Chelsea over Man Utd, even went against his own father who was a Utd fan. His father even refused to go out with him to sign the forms because he wanted him to go to Utd.

Maybe he was just one of those kids who liked football but didn't really like any one team. I think they do exist.
Or he simply took a professional decision which has nothing to do with who he supports.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Footballers are professionals. Supporting a club that they did when a child means little to them.

many fans can’t comprehend this.

ask yourself this question. As a 16 year old, if you were given the opportunity to sign pro terms with Liverpool, would you?

the answer should be yes, and if you went on to play for them, you wouldn’t care less about United anymore.
I totally get this. If I were given a contract by Watford or Liverpool, I'd snap their hands off.

My point is more with things like this:

If Terry is a United fan, does he want us to do well when they are not playing us? In his ideal world, would Chelsea winning the league with United 2nd be amazing?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Do fans really care? Would any Man United fans be bothered at all if they signed this Man City fan?

Are Spurs fans bothered that this guy was a Gooner?

The current "Mr Chelsea" Mason Mount is Portsmouth fan and we couldn't love him any more than we do.
Your fans literally abused him all over social media earlier in the season. “Lampard’s son”

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

He's an Essex boy who supported Man United when you were winning everything, it goes without saying he was a glory hunter!
I always thought he was someone we would have signed had the takeover not happened in 2003. Had Fergie written all over him.

I totally get this. If I were given a contract by Watford or Liverpool, I'd snap their hands off.

If Terry is a United fan, does he want us to do well when they are not playing us? In his ideal world, would Chelsea winning the league with United 2nd be amazing?
I don’t think he cares. All his feelings, support and allegiances will have gone to Chelsea, and as they were competing with United - I bet he doesn’t give us a second thought.

I think it’s different if it was a team in a different country.

JPRouve

Scout

In his ideal world and all footballers ideal world, they are the winners. While you see it as "Chelsea", they see it as their current team. So yes ideally they win which doesn't prevent them from rooting for someone else if they are not themselves involved.

Oranges038

Or he simply took a professional decision which has nothing to do with who he supports.

A teenager who is supposedly a massive fan of he biggest team in the country at that time, goes against that and his father's wishes, then signs for Chelsea for professional reasons....

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
99.9% of professional footballers are born winners

The power of wanting to win and having the personal pride/ determination to do your job to the best of your ability and try and win will always trump any club allegiances.

JPRouve

Scout
A teenager who is supposedly a massive fan of he biggest team in the country at that time, goes against that and his father's wishes, then signs for Chelsea for professional reasons....
Yes. He signs for the team that he believes will give him the better chance to fullfil his dream of becoming a professional footballer.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Most players support their own team, but adopt the teams they play for in their career as well.