g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Players wasting their careers at their current club

Eire Red United

I remember reading an article about how he grew up dirt poor & vowed he’d never let his family struggle again.

Can’t remember it word for word but he said something like he had time to return to Europe if he wanted but his priority was his family; actually made me view the move totally differently. It’s not like he’d have played for peanuts in Europe but his motivators are his own so I rate his commitment to that cause.
If someone can’t support their family on the 100k plus a week he’d have been earning at Chelsea or any other decent club in Europe they have big problems

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Pogba? No chance. If anything he’s a bit overhyped. A good player doesn’t need everything revolving around him.

Kane. He’ll win the odd FA cup if he’s lucky

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Kane has given it a fair go with Spurs but he might be smart to get his agent to start putting the feelers out at this stage. If he wants to do a Batistuta/Van Persie just to get at least one league sorted his window is closing fairly quickly, between his injuries and post-Covid finances.

dove

Pogba and De Gea for sure, and basically everyone who plays for PSG especially Neymar and Mbappe.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Nobody said Messi yet?
The last several years must be seen as a waste for him, with quite a few low points in the CL campaigns.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Pogba? No chance. If anything he’s a bit overhyped. A good player doesn’t need everything revolving around him.
Before he re-joined United he was Europe's hottest young midfielder, he won lots of titles and he started in a CL final. For his country he has won a World Cup, scoring in the final. He's en route to easily break the 100 caps milestone. For France.

His time at United pales in comparison.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Harry Kane, he’s 28 already. Hard to believe how quickly that’s come around. Been a top striker for 6-7 years now and doesn’t have a trophy to show for it. How many seasons has he even competed in the CL knockout stages? 2-3?

He’s definitely capable of moving to another side and being their RVP, but he seems to have wedded himself to Spurs at every turn and I don’t see how he’s getting out of it now. Even if he begged the club, levy will demand a fortune that no club would pay post covid for a player of his age. Even something like 80 million will be a hefty outlay.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Before he re-joined United he was Europe's hottest young midfielder, he won lots of titles and he started in a CL final. For his country he has won a World Cup, scoring in the final. He's en route to easily break the 100 caps milestone. For France.

His time at United pales in comparison.
Ok,let's be hypothetical and assume he never made the switch. Would Juve be performing better with him in CL ? Doubt it. Yes, he would have got couple of more titles (Serie A) but their performances has been crap in CL.

Now if he had made a switch to Real, probably that would have made a difference but again Kroos and Modric were two of the best in the world at that point and Real actually never made any effort to sign him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Pogba - waste of 4 years winning no major trophies with us

Grealish - Big fish in small ponds

Kane - no chance of winning trophies with Spur

Ronaldo - no chance this Juventus team is going to win any CL in foreseeable future

Neymar - French league is irrelevant, and he is supposed to be at his prime years too

Mbappe - going to be 23 this year, and he is supposed to be best player of the world in future, but only managed to play in 5th league in Europe, and looks like he Is going to stay there for a couple more season for now. By the time he is going to move to better league, he will be in his mid-20s. What a waste.

Hoof the ball

Matt Le Tissier
According to Matt, the reason he didn't leave isn't because of some sentimental attachment to Southampton, but rather that he didn't think of his future anymore than a few days ahead at a time, and so he never planned anything in particular. On top of that he also said that not once did his agent call him and bring him news of a transfer offer or enquiry.

That shocked me. Not a single offer for Matt from his agent. What on earth was his agent doing all this time? He would have fitted in perfectly in the 90's Serie A at its peak. He'd have been a star playing in Italy.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
According to Matt, the reason he didn't leave isn't because of some sentimental attachment to Southampton, but rather that he didn't think of his future anymore than a few days ahead at a time, and so he never planned anything in particular. On top of that he also said that not once did his agent call him and bring him news of a transfer offer or enquiry.

That shocked me. Not a single offer for Matt from his agent. What on earth was his agent doing all this time? He would have fitted in perfectly in the 90's Serie A at its peak. He'd have been a star playing in Italy.
Think of him not playing for England though. I suspect he got lucky with Southampton in the sense that they were so grateful to have him they let him off fitness wise whereas somewhere like United or Arsenal fighting for a title at the time wouldn't.

Bertie Wooster

A lot of votes for Kane - which I agree with - but another Tottenham player I'd put forward, for a different reason, is Dele Alli.

I guess a lot depends on what interpretation you put on 'wasting their careers'? Harry Kane is playing really well, at a very high level, but because of that he could be doing it at a club more likely to win trophies.

Up until a couple of years ago, Dele Alli was doing the exact same as Kane and was also linked with big moves. Those moves never materialised and, unlike Kane, he's not kept up that standard and has gone backwards in his career.

Before, he could have earned his move upwards to start winning trophies (as with most being named on here). Now, Alli maybe needs a sideways move to get his career back on track and up to its former level again otherwise he risks 'wasting' it in terms of not reaching his full potential.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Imagine if his agent was raiola.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Don’t understand the Pogba listing. Reality is that while he is world class on his day, he’s spent massive chunks of the last four years playing fairly poorly. We aren’t the Paul Pogba show. He has to be part of that success, and until Ole took over, he honestly looked rubbish with a suspect attitude. So I’m not buying this whole “he’s wasted his career with us” nonsense. It was more a case of us wasting a ton of money on him. Has been having a great season this season, in between prolonged injury absences. Let’s not forget he is playing for one of the biggest 3 clubs in the

Fact is that only one team can win the league every year and there will be lots of big clubs that ho trophy less for a few seasons in such a competitive atmosphere. We are overdue a trophy, but are putting together deep cup runs back to back, so hopes are high.

Players truly wasting their careers in hopeless teams or leagues:

Mbappe - Needs to leave France now.

Neymar - Wasted his prime years in France

Verratti - Should’ve been at a top La Liga or PL side.

Kane - Has played at such a high level, should be at one of the top five clubs in the world. Not Spurs.

Isco - Massively talented, but stagnated and fell out of favour. Should’ve left 2 years ago.

Joao Felix - Needs to play for a team where he can express himself. Odd signing for the practical coach that is Simeone.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
All the world class players that sit on the bench 90% of the time at the same boring 4 clubs who always win the CL. I wish more great players "wasted their talent" at smaller clubs. Would make European football a bit more fun to watch.
This. Can't get on board with most of these shouts because they are just about all playing every week, are integral players to their teams, and many are also winning things.