Players we've been linked with

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
We all know the papers constantly link us with signing players and hardly any of them actually happen, so I thought it would be interesting to see which of the tabloids are most reliable. There are also links from others such as The Telegraph and Manchester Evening news, so I may add them as they appear. The ones listed are just from the beginning of April.

DAILY MIRROR

Coniah Boyce-Clarke, Ruben Dias, Bruno Fernandes, Gelson Fernandes, Kalidou Koulibaly, Nicholas Pepe, Adrien Rabiot, Saul Niguez, Christian Eriksen, Moussa Dembele, Kieran Trippier, Jan Oblak, James Rodriguez, Thomas Meunier, Aaron Wan-Bissaka,

DAILY MAIL

Matthijs de Ligt, Paulo Dybala, Daniel James, Idrissa Gueye, Philippe Coutinho, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Bruno Fernandes, Wilfried Zaha, Joao Felix, Thomas Meunier, Antoine Griezmann, Thomas Partey, Adrien Rabiot, Jerome Boateng, Kieran Trippier, Mohamed Salah, Sebastien Haller, Ben Godfrey

THE SUN

Thomas Meunier, Mauro Icardi, Paulo Dybala, Moussa Dembele, Ben Godfrey, Nikola Milenkovic, Harry Maguire, Bruno Fernandes, Aaron Wan Bissaka, Patrick van Aanholt, Jadon Sancho, Gareth Bale, Kalidou Koulibaly, Toby Alderweireld, Joao Felix, Declan Rice, David Neres Campos, Kostas Manolas, Matthijs de Ligt, Hakim Ziyech, Nathan Collins, Richarlison,

DAILY STAR

Kieran Trippier, Joao Cancelo, Marcos Llorente, Harry Maguire, Declan Rice, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Jadon Sancho, Toni Kroos, Raphael Varane, Youri Tielemans, Robert Lewandowski, Tanguy Ndombele, Ruben Dias, Toby Alderweireld, Gianluigi Donnarumma, James Maddison

DAILY EXPRESS

Joao Felix, Ruben Dias, James Rodriguez, Keylor Navas, Matthijs de Ligt, Gareth Bale, Toni Kroos, Luka Jovic, Jadon Sancho, Jordan Pickford, Jan Oblak, Bruno Fernandes, Kalidou Kouibaly, Nicolas Pepe, Harry Maguire, Moussa Dembele, Sergio Ramos,

Thanks to @christinaa for the majority of the links.

Last edited:

Suvvernmanc

It would have been quicker and easier to list the players these (toilet) papers haven't mentioned

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
To be fair you've picked five papers known as pretty much the worst clickbaiters out there! Should be adding MEN as well

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think we need another thread called, 'Players We've Been Linked With.' There aren't enough really!

ArjenIsM3

There are also links from others such as The Telegraph and Manchester Evening news, so I may add them as they appear.
Interested in this. Matching them with reliable sources could be a good way to check which of the gutter press are best.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The Sun has this today (Friday17 May) - it gets a "yes" from me:

• Manchester United have been joined by Bayern Munich in the race for Ajax star Hakim Ziyech.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
The Sun has this today (Friday17 May) - it gets a "yes" from me:

• Manchester United have been joined by Bayern Munich in the race for Ajax star Hakim Ziyech.
Added to the list. Thanks. We're signing 20 players so far according to them.

poleglass red

we will be linked with every decent player coming to the end of his contract, every player who has a buy out clause, and every good player at a smaller club who is either thinking of leaving or his club is looking to cash in, plus every player whose agent is looking to get them a better deal at his existing club or the new club he's tentatively already agreed to join.

AgentSquirrel

Added to the list. Thanks. We're signing 20 players so far according to them.
The Sun likes to cover all its bases. That way they can talk about their 'transfer exclusive' when, by the law of averages, one of the linked names eventually signs.

Kidders

If you believe everything you read there are a lot of players moving this summer, we get linked with almost all of them at some point or another, but if, and I do mean if, the likes of deLigt, Rodrigo, Ndombele, Jovic and Felix are available then I would hope we are interested in them, imagine the meltdown !
Throw in James, Rabiot and Meunier for small change and we might start looking like a force again !

Hughes35

No idea why but I actually believe all the ones in that list from the Daily Mail

Heat Seeker

Makes for interesting reading but seriously , who in their right minds would want to come to us? All we can offer is big bucks - which others can also do whilst also offering Champions League and an actual structure we lack. Has the James signing even got anywhere yet ? Doubt it. Hardly bodes well for more ambitious signings does it ?

Last edited by a moderator:

beingshe7don

I think we run into the same problem as we did with Moyes. No World class talent will want to willingly join United unless we throw crazy money and even then if we are against the top teams, we won't bag them.