Players who don't get the respect they deserve?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
For example, Michael Carrick, some might say, is the epitome of this thread despite the latter day show of respect he got/gets.

I think by now Pogba, being public enemy#1, might also be a fit?

There's also a thin line where rated players get hyped a little too much, and then the hipster thing to do is to play down their ability to the point where the once, perhaps, overrated player actually becomes underrated. There's a number of players who fit this category, imo.

But what say you, who are the players being played down, denigrated and downright not getting respec' put on their names?

led_scholes

Bale. He was instrumental in 3 CL finals and one Spanish Cup. Real Madrid is a truly petty club.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Smalling.

Below average passer and cant carry the ball but an absolute beast defensively.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Always thought people underrated the contributions of Silvestre. Mainstay in some very good teams, but always a bit of a mockery.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Milner. Solid professional who does a job everywhere they play him.
Vardy has been a top class premier league striker over the past 3 seasons and it surprises me that he's still at Leicester. He could be an absolute nightmare at any premier league side bar City.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
David Luiz, his few feck ups here and there are overstated and he's been very useful for his clubs during his career.

Fletchageddon

Young, Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Mata. All done amazingly well considering the changeover in managers and the 3 (now 4 with Ole) different systems that have been imposed upon on the squad.

All have been class for us at some point over the years.

For instance De Gea is praised but his role stays the same regardless who the manager is. Easier for him to be consistent.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I would put Carles Puyol in that list. Always came across as a player who was just taken for granted. Technically he wasn't the most gifted of defenders and within his peers there was probably players with more finesse and grace. However what a player and a leader who would run through brick walls for the Barca cause.

Red_toad

Smalling.

Below average passer and cant carry the ball but an absolute beast defensively.
I always find it funny on how he's judged on things he potentially does, but doesn't actually do. I read comments on here and he's potentially sent off or giving away penalties on a regular basis.

Lad had a great performance against Barca last season, but it seems to have completely been forgotten. He just gets judged on things his game lacks, rather than acknowledging what he's actually good at.

GlasgowCeltic

I would put Carles Puyol in that list. Always came across as a player who was just taken for granted. Technically he wasn't the most gifted of defenders and within his peers there was probably players with more finesse and grace. However what a player and a leader who would run through brick walls for the Barca cause.
Showed his quality in his spells at right back

Nico87

Claude Makalele by Real Madrid, not valuing him probably cost them a cou0le of champions Leagues.

Bobski

James Milner. An absolute beast of an athlete, fantastic attitude, understated leadership qualities and a much better footballer than he is given credit for, The type of player every top team needs, his time with England had him a figure of fun mainly due to the failings of the stars he was there to support.

Tostao_80

Rivaldo! He was much closer to Zidane than people gave him credit for. He was less elegant of course but compare the 2's clubs and international careers and there really isn't much in it (bias aside). For example, he was a much better consistent perfomer than Zizou in the league. This was Zizou's weakness. Many at Juve weren't too disappointed they got the more consistent but also great Pavel Nedved to replace him. Zizou has the edge in the CL, despite playing with better teams (Juve) and much better players (Real).
Now for the internationals. Rivaldo was very good at 2 WCs. Zizou was good at 2 (though non of his WCs matched Rivaldo's 02). Copa vs Euros?
Rivaldo was topscorer and best player at Copa 99, lethal! Zizou was simply magical at Euro 2000. A tie.
I would give Rivaldo the slight edge at the international scene due to having 2 slightly better WCs.
Zizou's elegance and control vs Rivaldo's decisiveness?
Infact, for 25 years after Platini in the 80s there hasn't been a better goal scoring midfielder than Rivaldo.
He is underated and didn't/ doesn't get the respect he deserves as one of the best attacking midfielders of the last 50 years..

Reactions: harms

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Always thought people underrated the contributions of Silvestre. Mainstay in some very good teams, but always a bit of a mockery.
He was ace on the left in his first seasons from what I remember. Some brilliant assists.

After that he was a good squad player to have but always seemed to have an absolute clanger in him. Perhaps the mockery didn't help as he was under scrutiny all the time.

OverratedOpinion

Players like Ricardo Carvalho who form a partnership with more attention grabbing teammates often don't get the recognition or respect they deserve.

OverratedOpinion

He was ace on the left in his first seasons from what I remember. Some brilliant assists.

After that he was a good squad player to have but always seemed to have an absolute clanger in him. Perhaps the mockery didn't help as he was under scrutiny all the time.
He played an absolute worldie of a cross for a Rooney goal against Arsenal around 2005.

Irwin99

Paul Ince. A very powerful, dynamic and skilful midfielder.

Silveste is one I've seen mentioned and maybe there's a case. Provided some excellent assists from left back and was super quick but, like Smalling, the good points are offset by some of his failings (concentration/clumsiness). Looking back we should have bought a better left back/centre back after 1999.

U-N-I-T-E-D

Ashley Young!

Alright, he's not phenomenal but he's been a complete professional while at United and played in many positions without moaning or kicking up a fuss

Eric's Seagull

Denis Irwin. Exemplified by this quote from Sir Alex "People ask you who is your best Man United team, it is absolutely impossible. But honestly, I would say Denis Irwin would be the one certainty to get in the team. I called him an eight out of 10. At Highbury in one game he had a bad pass back in the last minute and Bergkamp came in and scored. After the game the press said ‘you must be disappointed in that pass back. I said, well, one mistake in 10 years isn’t bad. He was an unbelievable player".

Scored 22 goals of which most were penalties and never missed 1!

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Dzeko is a good one; he's a very good and competent striker who is, somehow, an afterthought in the consciousness of many. Him doing it (delivering) for years now underscores the point that he is due more recognition.

Bwuk

Jamie Vardy.

One of the best strikers in the league and has been for a few seasons now.

Sea-Cow

Played this clip thousands of times back then. Everything about this goal was perfect.
Its hard to pick the best part.

The cross? Excellent
The first touch? Couldn't have done it any better
The finish? He absolutely smashes it

Copa Mundial

A bit left field but how about Nathan Ake.

He hasn't got any obvious weaknesses and I genuinely don't think he would look out of place at any of the top 6 clubs.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Might be a bit out there but Wayne Rooney. The amount of people who crop up and say he was never world class and all that is staggering. In his 13 years here, apart from the last 2, he was always amongst our most productive players. But people make it seem like he was only lauded due to his passion and aggression, they really underestimate his footballing brain. As thick might act outside the football field, on it he was as fine a brain as any.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pickford. Been actually very solid on the whole at NT level.

Yes his level did drop for Everton for a couple of months last season (as did the other 10 in the team) but had a strong end to the season with clean sheets v Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man. United.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Drogba. He's still seen by a lot of people as a technically limited battering ram which is criminal.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Ashley Young!

Alright, he's not phenomenal but he's been a complete professional while at United and played in many positions without moaning or kicking up a fuss
I agree. Our club has a weird obsession with scapegoats. He's taken Fellaini's place now.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Alex Ferguson was a much better player than he gets credit for. Look at his goal scoring record.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Carrick at his peak was one of Europe's best deep-lying playmakers. Obviously he wasn't the sole reason for United's success during 2006-2009 but you can't deny Carrick's impact.

SteveW

Smalling

Good defender yet gets dogs abuse and is constantly unfairly lumped in with Jones

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Carrick at his peak was one of Europe's best deep-lying playmakers. Obviously he wasn't the sole reason for United's success during 2006-2009 but you can't deny Carrick's impact.
I genuinely believe England would have won the 2006 WC playing 433, Carrick would have allowed Lampard and Gerrard more freedom and at the time those two, Terry, Rio, both Cole's and Rooney were top 5 in their positions if not 3. Sven was gutless.