Players who scuppered their careers due to bad career management

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Fabregas - Barca.
Why Pep tried to convert him into a false 9 is anyone's guess.

Remember the geese

I don't think De Gea has been mentioned? Financially he's done brilliantly, but he's definitely worth a few more league titles and a Champions League or two. If not for a broken fax machine...

youmeletsfly

Mutu going to Chelsea and turning into prime Maradona, unfortunately not on the footballing side of things.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Ones that really stand out for me:

Falcao - The move to Monaco was just plain weird. He was a tip top CF, probably the equivalent of Häland at the moment and went there. I know his knee injury is what did him in ultimately but this move felt like he was signing for Monaco with an eye on another move one year down the line. Additionally, that pitch of Monaco's is notorious for giving people injuries as it is built on top of a car park.

Gazza - This I think was him being let down more by his agents/family who should've known that London would be a dangerous environment for his personality. Someone around him should have had enough sense to think, he needs regiment and not too many bright lights; even at that point. However, I think they all got blinded by money.

Le Tissier - Was good enough to play for a much bigger club than Soton and if he had moved before 26 I reckon he would've been great still. That said, I always got the vibe from him he was like one of those fantastically talented fat kids at school who easily have been the best but were let down by not being willing enough to move too far away from their lunchbox.

Shearer - Should easily be one of the most decorated CF's of the 90's. Instead went to Newcastle (although to be fair they were looking like they would kick on) instead and won nothing.

Neymer - What is it now? 4/5 years? All he has won it Ligue 1 titles during his main prime years. May be able to get another CL now but not sure it'll happen still.

Maradonna - This wasn't a move so much but just imagine the player he would've been if he wasn't on the Colombian marching powder? Probably would've been the De Facto GOAT without any arguments whatsoever.

Batigoal - Should've left Florence a lot earlier.

Best - Going to London wasn't exactly the wisest move for his career but at least he had a banging time by all accounts.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Robinho to City - was viewed as mercenary after the move. He wasn't a leader like Tevez and couldn't carry the weight of being the star of an average team. This move exposed him.

Veron- Wrong league. Similar to Pogba in the sense that in midfield it was too intense for him. He thrived in Italy where midfielders get time and space and he would have continued to thrive if he had stayed there.

Cavani to PSG - Yes he developed to a really good player, but when you see what he's offering at this age and the lack of attention he recieved due to being at PSG, theirs no doubt he would have been considered a true superstar if he had gone to England or Spain, even Bayern, he would have been a superstar.

Nasri to City- He became just another player. Arsenals size fit him.

Fabregas to Barcelona- He would have been an absolute legend, potentially even greater than the English 3 if he had stayed. He would have been worshipped at Arsenal like Bergkamp was.
This is the one in recent times that sticks out the most.
Even as a United fan I got tired and somewhat annoyed with the likes of Iniesta, Pique and Xavi openly blabbering on about how ' Cesc should come home' and such.
Such arrogant and pretentious sh*te.

And Pep rarely played him in the middle after the first season.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I find the idea that players like Kagawa and Mkhitaryan should have known their own technical and mental limitations and turned down massive moves accordingly to be pretty bizarre. Athletes don't tend to make it to the highest level by saying "nah you're alright, I'm actually shite so don't mind me" when opportunities come knocking.

Blood Mage

Pogba arguably shouldn't have joined United given how shite we've been for most of his time here. It's only in the last two seasons that we've started to look like we could mount a serious challenge for the top honours.

KennyBurner

Messi!
He waited too long to leave Barcelona and now he won’t be seen as the greatest greatest ever player but only the greatest.

RedKnight88

Mamadou Diarra to Real Madrid
Juninho to Middlesbrough
Joaquin to Valencia
Zambrotta to Barcelona
Micheal Owen to Newcastle
Marcello Salas to Juventus record signing.
Rafael Van der Vaart to Real Madrid
Klaas-Jan Huntelaar to Real Madrid
Nuri Sahin to Real Madrid
Gabriel Heinze to Real Madrid
Andrey Kanchelskis to Everton
Paul Ince to Inter Milan
Ivan de la Pena to Lazio
Eduardo to Arsenal
Djibril Cisse to Liverpool.. injuries didn't help
Jack Rodwell to Man City
Robbie Fowler to Leeds
Manuel Rui Costa to AC Milan.. maybe not bad move, but i expected a lot more from him.
Jonathan Woodgate to Real Madrid.. Injuries didn't; help
Walter Samuel to Real Madrid
Emerson to Real Madrid
Adrian Mutu to Chelsea
Julio Baptista to Real Madrid
William Gallas to Arsenal
Chris Sutton to Chelsea
Pablo Aimar to Valencia
Steed Malbranque to Tottenham
Edwin Van der Sar to Fulham
Darren Bent to Aston Villa
Obafemi Martins to Newcastle

MileStolar

Not sure if they fit here. Both became or are still becoming legends at their clubs and at least won something, but surely less than they could have got with other clubs.

But the legend status should be considered as an important point when looking at their whole career.
Well yeah I wouldn't say they scuppered their careers, but they could've achieved much more, and it's not due to their l laziness or something but due to career choices.

I mean those two are in the same basket as Shearer and Kane so far.

Will be remembered as great players but never crowned for being the best.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It depends:
Hulk, who spent his career peak between Russia and China. Glory wise was not a wise decision, but money wise he was one of the highest paid footballers while at Zenit and then at China, so I don't think he's really that bothered by the lack of titles.

Same applied to Dario Conca: amazing dribbler and creative player who spent his peak year at China. Was the nº3 highest wage at football so I guess he's not that troubled that he refused offers from European clubs.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Viktor Onopko moving to a declining, relegation battling Real Oviedo.

Gheorghe Hagi move to Brescia was stupid from a career perspective, but something he was happy to do.

InfiniteBoredom

Would be a bit premature as he’s still very young but Odegaard moving to Madrid doesn’t seem like the best choice, even without the benefit of hindsight. He had his pick of any club back then, the hype was unreal. A solid few years playing first team football in the Erevidise or Bundesliga at Ajax/Dortmund might have seen him developed way faster/better, rather than languishing in Madrid B team, couple of loans and now move to a mediocre Arsenal.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Not a famous player but there's a guy I knew that got offered a contract at both Aston Villa and Spurs.

Then our coach, who's called Butch, made himself the players agent.

He started demanding private jets, a home for his mother, diamond rings etc.

Both teams withdrew their offers.

Now Butch is still a P.E. teacher at the same school and the player works as a salesman for EE.

Robertd0803

Scott Sinclair, Steve Sidwell and Jack Rodwell off the top of my head all moved to a club where they were never going to be first choice and never had a hope of being so. All too young/early in their careers to be squad players at the likes of City/Chelsea.

Neymar will always win this discussion though.

Fernando Alonso
Burst out laughing when I read this because I was thinking the same thing :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Shaun Wright Phillips perhaps?

Was good at Man. City in a Zaha doing his way type of thing but never quite thought he fitted in tactically at Chelsea and so he largely bench warmed for the 3-4 years he was there.

Arsenal were strongly in for him at the time so perhaps he'd have done better there under Wenger especially given how popular his Dad was.

ThinkTank@Cafe

The players hijacked by Chelsea thanks to the traitor Kenyon:

Robben
Essien
Obi Mikel
Chech

if they played under SAF with CR7 and Rooney (Tevez, Scholes, Vida, Rio), they wold have won multiple CL titles.