Players who should have had more caps for their countries

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Roy Makaay. Unfortunate to play at the same time as Kluivert, then Ruud, then RvP.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Kenneth Perez and now Lasse Schöne for Denmark.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Carrick and Scholes. Nevermind Gerrard and Lampard. If England insisted on playing a 4-4-2 then these two should have been the ones in the middle. Especially Carrick. We saw our midfield rotate a lot, but one name that was always one of the first on SAF's team sheet when a big game was coming up was Carrick. Probably one of the most underrated players of his era. At least by the British. He didn't score a bunch of goals or make bone crunching tackles, so he went unnocited by most from his country. He didn't go unnoticed from his piers though, and had he been born Spanish, then all of England would be talking about how their country needs a player like him to pull the strings from deep in midfield...

Kag

Robbie Fowler.

Rashford, at 21, already has more caps. Not a slight against Rashford at all, but that’s quite incredible considering how good Fowler actually was. Not surprising given the depth at the time, though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mario Jardel
Andrew Cole
Robbie Fowler

Kag

Carrick is going to come up a lot but United fans generally suffer from selective memory when it comes to him and England. When he played for England he blew it. He’d often drop out of the squad with injuries concerns, too, which never really helped his cause.

Gerrard and Lampard were better players and were always going to play (yes, playing Carrick in a three could have worked, before you rush to tell me). But, generally, outside of a nice game back in 2006 against Ecuador (I think) he never really made the most of his opportunities in the team.

Lay

Yeah, Carrick was pretty woeful at times for England. Never took his chance when it came along.

Lay

Steve Bruce. Wasn’t even capped.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
When you consider the alternatives that Italy had in his position during his career, it isn't really.
I get that Di Canio is a **** figure, but he wasn't even close to being good enough to get into those Italian squads. Him having gotten a cap would be more of a shock.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Carrick is going to come up a lot but United fans generally suffer from selective memory when it comes to him and England. When he played for England he blew it. He’d often drop out of the squad with injuries concerns, too, which never really helped his cause.

Gerrard and Lampard were better players and were always going to play (yes, playing Carrick in a three could have worked, before you rush to tell me). But, generally, outside of a nice game back in 2006 against Ecuador (I think) he never really made the most of his opportunities in the team.
And Gerrard and Lampard were not the ones keeping Carrick out of the team. It was Hargreaves, Barry and Parker.

Strachans Cigar

Long tradition of mavericks that Ingerlund cast aside.

Le Tissier

Rodney Marsh

Stan Bowles

Tony Currie

Charlie George

Frank Worthington

And so on

Kag

And Gerrard and Lampard were not the ones keeping Carrick out of the team. It was Hargreaves, Barry and Parker.
When managers chose to play with two midfielders, it was. Plus, Hargreaves was generally better in an England shirt. Barry was, too, in fairness. Parker was shite.

Zes

Roy Makaay. Unfortunate to play at the same time as Kluivert, then Ruud, then RvP.
Same for Hasselbaink and to a much lesser degree Van Hooijdonk. (though they were never in competition with RvP cause he wasn't a striker then)

His goal scoring record was terrible for the Netherlands.
I don't know how to find that but I imagine he didn't actually play that many minutes of those 43 caps he played.

I would definitely add Seedorf to the list. Should probably have been our most capped player but his international career was as good as over at age 28, when Marco van Basten became coach, so he ended up with "only" 87 caps and was just never really a succes in the Dutch team.

Zes

Also want to add Luc Nilis. Was such a brillant player but never really appreciated as much as he should have been in Belgium. I feel had he been born Dutch he would've ended up close to Dennis Bergkamp. I am an Ajax supporter but Nilis was just so great to watch. His YouTube goal reel is fantastic to watch.

Johan Cruyff ended up with only 48 caps due to loads of conflicts with the Dutch FA and later personal troubles causing him to miss the '78 World Cup.

Reactions: Invictus

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I don't know how to find that but I imagine he didn't actually play that many minutes of those 43 caps he played.
He certainly played a lot out wide right due to the competition in the middle and being the only one of the top strikers to be capable of doing a job away from the middle.

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart
Bernd Schuster, had 21 caps for Germany.
Brilliant Footballer, played for Barca, Real and Atletico, won the the European Championships with Germany. Has a claim to be one of the best 5 german midfielders of all time.

Reactions: harms

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Giovane Elber had only 15.