Players who were *almost* world class

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Who are the nearly men?

Excellent players who were just a step down from being amongst the world's best.

I'll open with:

- Michael Owen. Arguably his performances circa 97/98 were world class, especially his goals at the World Cup that year, but long-term he became just an above average striker who faded into nothing and ended up seeing out his playing days on the bench at Stoke City.

- Juan Sebastian Veron. Clearly talented, glimpses of real promise when he was at United - but hard to remember him doing anything truly memorable or exceptional.

- Owen Hargeaves. Absolutely the real deal as a youngster, played 90 minutes and won a Champions League final years before Gerrard ever got close to it. Sadly broken all the time in his mid-to-late career. Cracking player for Bayern, and solid enough for us to start with. Possibly the biggest waste of talent we've ever had at United.

You don't have to pick United players, I guess they're just easier to remember for us.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Thierry Henry?

Edit - I think I'd put him as "World Class" but not in the "First XI of the Decade"

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Darren Fletcher? Was reaching really high levels then got that horrible illness. In 09/10 he was top quality. Could have improved further into a world class player.

Unmutual

Veron's time in England was a flop, but I'd consider him world class during his time at Italy.

Minimalist

Basically this thread should be players who have been called World Class but you disagree with it.

Pires was probably on the cusp at times but I'm sure Arsenal supporters thought of him as world class.

Boycott

Nicolas Anelka

Never settled anywhere to have the longevity of a world class player and he was never in the conversation of top strikers - but still an impressive career and no doubting the talent.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Anelka, Neville are good shouts.

I think Pires was arguably world class at his peak.

Fowler.

Thisistheone

Would definitely put Veron as World Class during his time in Italy.

Trying to think of more unusual picks... One of our players I always really rated but thought injury stopped him reaching even greater heights was Ronny Johnsen. Amazing defender for a while, almost world class?

Edit: Also Wes Brown?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I'm sure some people will laugh at this, but Joe Cole was heading that way. At the time when he picked up his injury for England that ruined his career, he was putting in some truly incredible performances. Without that injury, I think he could truly have gone on to be one of the England greats.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Not a chance, sorry.
Bullshit. He was one of the best midfielders in the Premier League at one point. If he had got a little stronger rather than being forced by illness to go in the completely opposite direction he would have been world class. I've no idea why he is so underrated, the Fletcher of 2008-2010 would walk into our midfield now and be our captain.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Patrick Kluivert (see the other thread).

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Veron was definitely world class and amongst the best midfielders in the game at his peak

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Bullshit. He was one of the best midfielders in the Premier League at one point. If he had got a little stronger rather than being forced by illness to go in the completely opposite direction he would have been world class. I've no idea why he is so underrated, the Fletcher of 2008-2010 would walk into our midfield now and be our captain.
No point argueing with the Fletcher Appreciation Society :yawn: