Players whose great stints at United are often forgotten

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Valencia is probably the best shout I've seen so far, his debut season and the sheer number of assists he got was incredible, overlooked due to who he replaced obviously.

AdNani

Louis Saha - The perfect number 9 for me. Quick, Strong, very good technically, fantastic in the air, 2 footed.

Injuries ruined him.

one of my all time favourite players to watch.

What about not getting picked by your managers 40% of the time you’re available and spending 2/3rds of a season getting splinters in your arse ? Whatever spin you want to put on it he wasn’t better for us. His managers didn’t play him nearly half the time.
Says more about Van Gaal and Mourinho than Herrera :wenger:. Especially with the infodump in my first rant in this thread, suggesting we were a better team and produced most of our best performances under both managers with him playing.

But yeah, I also don't think he was better than Pogba (who is another good shout for this thread and another player I've defended for years), especially not while they were teammates - those three seasons were Pogba's best for us.

Blood Mage

Ibrahimovic was bloody fantastic for us until that knee injury. Barely anyone seems to remember that he was a United player now though.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Louis Saha - The perfect number 9 for me. Quick, Strong, very good technically, fantastic in the air, 2 footed.

Injuries ruined him.

Great shout. He was a top forward. In every way that Yorke arrived as the perfect player at the perfect time to the perfect team and had the perfect outcomes, Saha did not. Yorke had one incredible season and one decent one. Then faded. Saha had more good seasons, albeit at a time that didn’t maximise his talent.

Tap

Gabriel Heinze. He was so good here it was commonly questioned why we felt the need to buy the (at the time) relatively low-profile Patrice Evra.

Maybe a bit early for this, but Jesse Lingard. I don't know what happened with his personal life but for a few years he was not just a reliable performer, but could be counted on for the big occasions. It's sad how it turned out with him.
Scored key goals in the FA and League cup finals and in the Charity Shield. Perhaps Jesse’s a natural big game player.

Tap

Henning Berg and Jesper Blomqvist.

People also tend to forget how good Nicky Butt was, mainly due to being back up to Keano and Scholesy.
Good shout on Blomqvist. Not a first team player but more than played his part, including in the big games against Barca and Bayern in the treble winning season.

He’s rarely mentioned here and in the few times his name was mentioned, he was dismissed as a mediocrity, which is somewhat unfair.

OlsensHummelBoots

The forgotten 'Number 7' Steve Coppell.

Also add Ray Wilkins.

Both seem to have been forgotten in the mists of time or perhaps overshadowed by the exploits of Robson (which is understandable)?

nakpodiareuben

Rafael da Silva: I heard the dressing rooms was in turmoil after he was booted out of the team by LLVG. He came here as s youngster and gave us his all whenever he played. Made us forget Gary Neville and even captained the team in few matches. Yeah. I think he is underrated. You never pass him

nakpodiareuben

Valencia is probably the best shout I've seen so far, his debut season and the sheer number of assists he got was incredible, overlooked due to who he replaced obviously.

I felt happy when I saw him play for us in the legends games. He is a legend

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Good shout on Blomqvist. Not a first team player but more than played his part, including in the big games against Barca and Bayern in the treble winning season.

He’s rarely mentioned here and in the few times his name was mentioned, he was dismissed as a mediocrity, which is somewhat unfair.
He was quality - people forget he played in 38 games in the treble year, starting 29, with Giggs injured a fair bit.
Anyone saying he's mediocre didn't watch him because he was a solid, if less explosive replacement.
Shame his career was cut short by horrific knee injuries. He seemed a decent guy and a top pro too.

Threesus

Does mark Hughes count? Probably the only player I reckon who has played for United, Bayern and Barcelona.

He is a bitter towards united now, so fans might not remember that he was a youth product and a very good striker as well. I myself was surprised to read that he was associated with us at one time through a random Wikipedia binge.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Says more about Van Gaal and Mourinho than Herrera :wenger:. Especially with the infodump in my first rant in this thread, suggesting we were a better team and produced most of our best performances under both managers with him playing.

But yeah, I also don't think he was better than Pogba (who is another good shout for this thread and another player I've defended for years), especially not while they were teammates - those three seasons were Pogba's best for us.
To some extent I don’t disagree on Herrera, particularly his first season under LVG I was really excited to see him, thought he played well generally but LVG was reluctant to play him. He was good for us imo.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
I don't know if this is a caf-specific phenomenon (probably not), but it often amazes me how some players' contributions are erased from the collective memory on here.

1. To me, the best example of -current- players is Luke Shaw. It is often referred to "that one good season" (as part of a more general roasting of him), while he has in fact had several great runs for us, such as before the leg break, the year he won the POTY, the previously mentioned season - and also his current run of form. By all means, when he is out of form, he seems a complete shadow of himself, and seems the textbook definition of a confidence player. But when he is on it, he's a very stable performer, and one of the best full-backs in the league.

2. Another example is Chris Smalling, who people in here ripped into constantly as part of the "chuckle brothers" during his last years here. But Smalling was truly great for several seasons, around 2014-2015 and at the end of SAF's reign (except when playing as full-back, which he was dreadful as). I'd even argue he was our best player for at least one season.

3. Somewhat different, as very few criticize him, but I also feel it is easily forgotten how good Michael Carrick actually was for us - at least underappreciated due to him playing alongside much "flashier" players (and in a less flashy way). He is exactly the kind of player we have been sorely missing for such a long time now.

Other good suggestions here?
I'd be surprised if any United fans did not know how good Carrick was.

Shaw is definitely underrated. But, that is his own doing. Dude is inconsistent.

Smalling was definitely better than Maguire who is praised by the English pundits like he is the next coming.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Silvestre. In the 2003 season he formed a very good CB pairing with Rio and more often outshone the Englishman at the back. Plus, he had a excellent diagonal pass on him at times.

Zetrio2002

Mark Hughes, Brian Mcclair, Kanchelski, Lee Sharpe...basically the earlier players who won some trophies for SAF but got quickly forgotten once the class of 1995 came along.

GueRed

Teddy Sheringham
Spent most of his years at United struggling to hold down a starting spot. Was scapegoated for the trophy less 97/98 season
Of the Treble season he said "apart from the last two weeks it was probably the worst season of my career", he scored only 5 goals that season.
The following season he didnt fare much better with limited starts and scoring only 6 goals.

The 2000/01 season though he was fantastic, his form finally ensured him a regular starting spot, he scored 21 goals in 43 games, collecting a PFA Player of the Year award and another PL medal.
At least he ended his time at the club on a high.

Gabriel Heinze
The combative Argentine defender had a great debut season. Settled in seemlessly and was a solid consistent performer throughout.
Picked up the Fans Player of the Season award ahead of the likes of Rooney (also his debut season) and Ruud.

Unfortunately early into the following season he asked for a transfer thus losing Fergies trust then shortly later in september '05 done his knee ligaments sidelining him out for the rest of the season.
Patrice was signed in '06, the rest is history.
Heinze tried to engineer a move out of the club to go to Liverpool in 2007 thus tarnishing his reputation with a lot of fans. Shame really because he was a real fan favourite.

Paul Ince
Ince developed into a world class midfielder during his time at United. Gave the club six years of great service.
His time at the club often gets dismissed because he joined Liverpool in 1997.

Wayne Rooney
A United legend. Gave the club great service.
Unfortunately at the moment he's still remembered for his final few years. He was scapegoated by a lot of fans during that LVG era.
The agenda against him online was spearheaded by the MEN and fancammer clowns like McKola and Howson.

Antonio Valencia
Similar to Rooney. Gave the club 10 years of great service but shat on and scapegoated by a lot of fans...
A solid performer on the wing and right-back. Top pro and by all accounts good guy. Deserves respect.

GueRed

Andrei Kanchelskis - was nothing more exciting than seeing him run at defences with the ball, he could litrally run it into the net.
was here for our first title win after 26 years.
1993 - 1995 he was world class

GueRed

Injuries ruined him.

Calendar year 2006 he was amazing

Relfy

Does mark Hughes count? Probably the only player I reckon who has played for United, Bayern and Barcelona.

He is a bitter towards united now, so fans might not remember that he was a youth product and a very good striker as well. I myself was surprised to read that he was associated with us at one time through a random Wikipedia binge.
Andy Mitten did a good interview with him not too long ago, and he didn't come across as bitter at all when recalling his time at United. I totally get why he gives that impression, but when he was managing 'them' he had to come at us at that angle.

Smithy89

Saha, Berbatov, Brown and Valencia come to mind. Also think Nani was quite underrated by many.

AdNani

Calendar year 2006 he was amazing
He was very good whenever he was fit, just a shame he couldn't stay fit for any length of time,

had everything to be the best striker in the world

captaincantona

Are you drunk? Great stints at United? Seven years is a little more than "a stint". The guy was here 95% of his career and was absolutely a non entity for the majority of it. He currently at the peak of his career has 10 matches, 0 goals and 0 assists in the front 3 for a relegation candidate.

148 premier league games / 22 goals and 10 assists in the premier league as an attacking mid. That's a goal every 6.7 games and an assist every 14.8 games. This is the same guy who went an entire year without providing a goal or an assist. To put him in the same thread as people like Heinze, Johnsen etc is laughable. He's not forgotten, he's well remembered as being a very poor player who got a free ride here for years.
Saved me 5 minutes writing this. Thanks

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Heinze is one that came to mind.

Ruud relatively to other players, given he was the best striker we had under Fergie.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Saha, Berbatov, Brown and Valencia come to mind. Also think Nani was quite underrated by many.
Berbatov is the complete opposite. Massively criticised a lot during his time and he was an issue a lot too, especially in 09/10 where he failed to step up when Rooney wasn’t playing well or was injured - a major reason we lost the league that year IMO. Now people look back at him as some kind of United all time great.

tomaldinho1

Kuszczak is a great shout. Probably Phil Neville as well in honesty, he’s sort of always thought about because of Gary but he was so consistent for us and rarely gets called anything other than a utility player, he was actually a very good player.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers

I fondly remember his goal in the Cup winner Cup Final against Barca.
The one that Cruyff said was rubbish technique. Yeah OK Johan :houllier:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I wouldn’t say Van Nistelrooy’s stint here was forgotten, but he was unlucky not to have more legendary status than he has. He joined us after we’d won 3 premier league titles on the bounce, stayed for five years where we won just one, then immediately after he left we won another 3 in a row.

It’s hypothetical I know, as the fast paced stuff that we played 2006+ couldn’t have happened with him up top. But his trophy cabinet here was far below what it should have been for a player of his quality, which might sometimes get overlooked when a lot of fans would happily forget those wilderness years altogether. But what a player.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Alan Smith? I thought he was more than decent.

Lee565

The big standouts for me is kanchelskis, Johnsen and sheringham.

Three players pivotal in very successful periods.

johnsen being the biggest most overlooked legend where fans seem to think stam was a one man central defence with no partner.

68cob

I do wonder if people are just posting names that haven't been posted already just for the sake of it. Apart from giving way to Teddy in the Champions League final, what contribution did Blomquist make? I wont mention another name from the final who makes me cringe.