Players with Torres-like collapses who managed to return to their best

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
We'll struggle to think of a credible example. Once you've lost it, you need to reinvent or adapt your game. If not you're done in. But regardless you aren't the same player.

Sick Boy: It's certainly a phenomenon in all walks of life.
Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: What do you mean?
Sick Boy: Well, at one time, you've got it, and then you lose it, and it's gone forever. All walks of life: George Best, for example. Had it, lost it. Or David Bowie, or Lou Reed...
Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: Some of his solo stuff's not bad.
Sick Boy: No, it's not bad, but it's not great either. And in your heart you kind of know that although it sounds all right, it's actually just shite.
Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: So who else?
Sick Boy: Charlie Nicholas, David Niven, Malcolm McLaren, Elvis Presley...
Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: OK, OK, so what's the point you're trying to make?
Sick Boy: All I'm trying to do is help you understand that The Name of The Rose is merely a blip on an otherwise uninterrupted downward trajectory.
Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: What about The Untouchables?
Sick Boy: I don't rate that at all.
Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: Despite the Academy Award?
Sick Boy: That means feck all. Its a sympathy vote.
Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: Right. So we all get old and then we can't hack it anymore. Is that it?
Sick Boy: Yeah.
But David Bowie's really exhibit A against this argument, since he did return to his best, with his last four albums being as good as anything he did in the seventies. Lou Reed was great post-Velvets, too.

I also thought of Forlan. In other sports, Valentino Rossi returned to something like his best at Yamaha after losing his way at Ducati. Andre Agassi in tennis. Steffi Graf, too, though her dip was less deep.

SirAF

Ageist
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/rivaldo-still-hasnt-retired.406175/#post-17727948

I think this is it.

I'm still reading through that thread, but somebody needs to make one of those videos out of it. I don't know what they're called, or really how to describe them very well, but they're sort of animated videos where the dialogue uses some sort of text-to-speech thing. I really hope someone knows what I'm talking about so I don't look foolish.
"SORRY ITS THE PHONE"

Good God, my sides are splitting :lol:

foolsgold

Paolo Rossi. Not quite a loss of form, but he came back from a lengthy ban (2 years iirc) to dominate the '82 world cup for Italy.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
ZLATAN WAS A GREAT PLAYER BUT A DIFFICULT PERSONALITY
HE CLASHED WITH PEP BECAUSE HE WAS SHIFTED TO THE WING EVENTHOUGH HE WON PLAYER OF THE YEAR IN THAT POSITION
TOUGH PERSONALITY ? HE STILL WON PLENTY CLUB AND NATIONLEVEL
NATION
NATION
NATION LEVEL
NATIONAL LEVEL
NATIONAL LEVEL
SORRY ITS THE PHONE
:lol::lol::lol: Well done.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Roberto Baggio. He suffered from some bad spells at the Milanese clubs only to return to his former glory soon afterwards. Zola suffered a dip in form at Parma and went on becoming a crucial figure at Chelsea. Not to forget Dennis Bergkamp whose considered as a turnip in the Serie A and as a genius in the EPL.

Culero

Raul was pretty poor for years after being hailed as one of the best players of his time - before rejuvenating in 2007/08. He wasn't as bad as Torres though, obviously.

Terry was a walking joke, with Carroll nutmegging him several times during one game and then came back to live to win yet another championship - but it was more to do with manager's tactical approach.

Hard to think of one, really
Best example I can think of IMO.

04/05 - 32 apps, 9 goals
05/06 - 26 apps, 5 goals
06/07 - 35 apps, 7 goals

to this

07/08 - 37 apps, 18 goals
08/09 - 37 apps, 18 goals

He rolled back the years those two seasons and played as if the past 3 years didn't exist.

JmRssll555