Players you didn't realise got many International caps

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Robinho having 100 caps may surprise foreigners, but he was a force for Seleção, much better than for his clubs.
Was it the 2007 Copa America where he looked like one of the best in the world

KeanoMagicHat

I just randomly glanced at Chris Smalling's Wikipedia page and saw he has 31 England caps. I barely remember him playing for England at all :lol:
The funny thing too is that he hasn’t played any games during some of the best form of his career and got caps when he wasn’t doing that well for United.

Bobski

An obvious one but Andy Cole

Winning titles every year and regularly scoring 20+ goals and barely got a sniff

Scored 25, 24 and 22 between 98, 99 and 00 won multiple leagues and a treble and got 2 caps in those 3 years
Andy Cole, 15 Caps, Darius Vassel 22, Jermaine Defoe 57. Defoe was a good player but he was basically a poor mans version of Cole.

Oranges038

Anders Svensson 148 matches for Sweden which is a record there.
I played with him when young. Lovely lad and fantastic player... best I've played with I think...
Always thought he was a brilliant player, scored some wonderful goals.

AjaxNL

Daley Blind has 104 caps, 6th on the all time list. By the time he is done, he will be top 5, maybe even top 3 most capped Dutch international. Daley Blind is a work of art

KeanoMagicHat

Cole, Wright, Fowler was the context of the time though, bad luck. Shearer was deservedly number one and then Michael Owen emerged who was lethal for a few years. Heskey was overplayed in the early 2000s but it was all about getting the most out of Owen who was an elite poacher.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Podolski at 130 will never stop being funny.

Neuville at 69 is also a damning indictment of the quality in our team during his time.
Schürrle also sits at 57.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
First page good.

Second page is a lot of copying from first page.

Pathetic.

Gjx

Matt le Tissier only getting 8 caps for England is one of the biggest crimes in footballing history.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Michael Carrick has got 34 caps. One more cap than Ross fecking Barkley. What an absolute joke.
It used to drive me nuts when people talked about Gerrard and Lampard. It shouldn't have been "how do Gerrard and Lampard get into the starting 11?". It should have been, "who plays with Carrick and Scholes? Gerrard or Lampard?"

KeanoMagicHat

For Ireland, McClean having over 100 caps Whelan having 91 caps is probably a sad indictment of Irish football in recent years.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
For Ireland, McClean having over 100 caps Whelan having 91 caps is probably a sad indictment of Irish football in recent years.
McClean sounds like a company offering public toilets at highway rest stops.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Cole, Wright, Fowler was the context of the time though, bad luck. Shearer was deservedly number one and then Michael Owen emerged who was lethal for a few years. Heskey was overplayed in the early 2000s but it was all about getting the most out of Owen who was an elite poacher.
Wright was 8 years older than Cole and 12 years older than Fowler and didn't overlap with Owen.

Taylor player a bunch of mediocre players ahead of Wright (16 unused sub appearances) and Venables didn't even select him. That's almost 8 years of barely playing.

Cole wasn't selected partly because Hoddle didn't like him.

KeanoMagicHat

Wright was 8 years older than Cole and 12 years older than Fowler and didn't overlap with Owen.

Taylor player a bunch of mediocre players ahead of Wright (16 unused sub appearances) and Venables didn't even select him. That's almost 8 years of barely playing.

Cole wasn't selected partly because Hoddle didn't like him.
Fair enough yeah but he still coincided with peak Shearer for a lot of his peak. Shearer played 17 games in 1995 and 1996. Wright was a lot older than Fowler but Fowler was most worthy of England when he was young while Wright was when he was older. Overall point still stands that England were stacked for strikers in that general era.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Fair enough yeah but he still coincided with peak Shearer for a lot of his peak. Shearer played 17 games in 1995 and 1996. Wright was a lot older than Fowler but Fowler was most worthy of England when he was young while Wright was when he was older. Overall point still stands that England were stacked for strikers in that general era.
England played with 2 strikers every time in that era. Wright was clearly the 2nd best striker after Shearer and should have been an automatic striker. The fact of the matter is that the managers were stubborn, bitter men who picked subpar players instead. Coming on as a sub counts as much as a starting in terms of caps. Cole and Fowler weren't getting caps because of Les Ferdinand, Kevin Phillips, Emile Heskey, Teddy Sheringham. Wright was clearly being shut out by worse strikers.

Newcastle Les Ferdinand for about 2 seasons I understand but not Spurs Ferdinand.

Red Star One

A bit forgotten Fernando Torres is on 110 caps for Spain, more than any other forward. At least he was world class for a longer while.
Robinho got 100 caps for Brazil. So average for such a feat
Kuyt has 104 for the Netherlands.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I just randomly glanced at Chris Smalling's Wikipedia page and saw he has 31 England caps. I barely remember him playing for England at all :lol:
If I remember well, he played a lot as a right back for England too.

Josh 76

Phil Neville 59. Would have guessed less. Suppose he was useful for squads as you could slot him into a few different positions.

Jermaine Defoe on 57 is more than I would have imagined too.
It would be interesting to see how many starts they had ?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Marcos Rojo has more Argentina caps than Aimar, Riquelme, Cambiasso, Samuel, both Milito brothers and Mario Kempes.

SER19

Nigel Martyn 23 caps for england
Joleon Lescott got 26
Alex Oxlade Chamberlain got 35

All of those surprised me

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I agree, though still surprising that Wright didn't rack up more caps before Michael Owen came along. Wasn't even part of the Euro 96 squad even though he was a consistent 25+ goals per season between 1990 and 1997.

Fowler's low cap tally makes a bit more sense. As good as he was, his peak was relatively short.

Bobski

Add Ferdinand in as well, top striker, and Collymore I guess, 3 caps

Fr. Todd Unctious

McGeady with 93 as well. Easily one of the most frustrating players I've seen playing for Ireland. Had to laugh at what was clearly a little strop by McClean annoucing his retirement hours before the Ireland squad he'd been dropped from was named. Like he moved down to League 2 (regardless of the fact it was for the money)what did he think was going to happen

No Love

Thomas Hitzlsperger with 52 for Germany surprised me when I found out.

KeanoMagicHat

England played with 2 strikers every time in that era. Wright was clearly the 2nd best striker after Shearer and should have been an automatic striker. The fact of the matter is that the managers were stubborn, bitter men who picked subpar players instead. Coming on as a sub counts as much as a starting in terms of caps. Cole and Fowler weren't getting caps because of Les Ferdinand, Kevin Phillips, Emile Heskey, Teddy Sheringham. Wright was clearly being shut out by worse strikers.

Newcastle Les Ferdinand for about 2 seasons I understand but not Spurs Ferdinand.
Sheringham was a better support striker though than Cole and Fowler, better at linking the play which is what worked best with Shearer.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Just to be sure, what year(s) are you suggesting Wright was the 2nd best English striker?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Add Ferdinand in as well, top striker, and Collymore I guess, 3 caps
Collymore is absolutely mad at just 3 caps.
His "issues" obviously massively hindered him, but he had a roaring season or 2 at Forest and scored plenty at Liverpool.

When you see the sort of strikers who've had more caps the last few years it's unreal.

Chipper

Adulterer.
It would be interesting to see how many starts they had ?
Phil Neville = 36 starts, 23 sub appearances
Jermaine Defoe = 33 starts, 22 sub appearances

I'm sure you can get the data elsewhere, but I got from this place that I've seen before - http://www.englandfootballonline.com/

It's a good site for everything England related although not exactly sleek in it's design.

Last edited:

Nico87

Glen Johnson has 54 caps while he was a fairly decent premiership right back I don’t remember him being 1st choice for England for a sustained period,.

Wright-Phillips and Stewart Downing have 36 and 35 each. Again fairly decent players but I can’t remember a single game of their England careers.