Players you don't rate as highly as others

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Double stepovers, regardless of the direction you start them in or the era you do them in....it's a sin against football aesthetics.:D

Indnyc

The players I don't know.

Otherwise, I'd say players like Djalma Santos, Fachetti, Bozsik, Neeskens, Van Hanegem, Elkjaer, Lerby.

On the other hand, I overrate a lot of players
Interesting call.. I was seeing a few games and he looked great.. Could so easily pass between the lines and start attacks

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Cheers mate, looking forward to hearing what you find out about him.
I did some digging on Heinz Flohe and asked my dad about him. He said he was insanely talented, as good as any midfielder around in that period. Apparently he is still held in very high regards by those watching him at the time, he even got his own cinematic documentary after his death. He never did interviews and was afraid of the media, it was also said that he had a difficult relationship with the NT manager Helmut Schön. The biggest reason for his low profile career is said to be that he was always in the shadow of Overath, both at Cologne and at the NT. My dad said Overath was not the more talented player, but that he (Overath) had one of the best mentalities ever, he called him "Mentalitätsmonster".

I went on to watch some videos of Flohe and I was amazed at his technical level, it looked like he was plugged straight out of 2018. Not because of silly skills or stepovers, but because of how clean his handling of the ball looked and how weighted his passes were. He actually reminded me very much of Modric, the way how he was always the creator, drifting with the ball at his feet. He rarely attacked the box like other number 10s did, I only saw him scoring from long distance, another similarity with Modric. Since these highlight videos only showed him on the ball, of course I can't claim he was completely like Modric because Modric has insane stamina, very good tackling and defensive work rate. I know nothing about his off the ball workrate, so someone has to watch some full games from the 70s to get more information about that and if he would fit a number 8 role like Modric does.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I did some digging on Heinz Flohe and asked my dad about him. He said he was insanely talented, as good as any midfielder around in that period. Apparently he is still held in very high regards by those watching him at the time, he even got his own cinematic documentary after his death. He never did interviews and was afraid of the media, it was also said that he had a difficult relationship with the NT manager Helmut Schön. The biggest reason for his low profile career is said to be that he was always in the shadow of Overath, both at Cologne and at the NT. My dad said Overath was not the more talented player, but that he (Overath) had one of the best mentalities ever, he called him "Mentalitätsmonster".

I went on to watch some videos of Flohe and I was amazed at his technical level, it looked like he was plugged straight out of 2018. Not because of silly skills or stepovers, but because of how clean his handling of the ball looked and how weighted his passes were. He actually reminded me very much of Modric, the way how he was always the creator, drifting with the ball at his feet. He rarely attacked the box like other number 10s did, I only saw him scoring from long distance, another similarity with Modric. Since these highlight videos only showed him on the ball, of course I can't claim he was completely like Modric because Modric has insane stamina, very good tackling and defensive work rate. I know nothing about his off the ball workrate, so someone has to watch some full games from the 70s to get more information about that and if he would fit a number 8 role like Modric does.
Great stuff mate, cheers :). I'll try to make an all touches video for him soon as there's plenty of full matches he played in on footballianet.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Been going through lots of full back research and I would say Thuram from what I have seen. He just looks a class below guys like Carlos Alberto or Djalma to me.. he relied a fair bit on his athleticism, was out of position a fair bit and didn't bomb forward with the same class, or have amazing technical skills and delivery.

Still a force of nature don't get me wrong, and very solid when told to just defend i.e. as a CB or as a RCB, but as a proper full-back, he doesn't feature in my top 5 full backs.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Nilton Santos is another one who I just didn't enjoy watching. Defensively he was decent but he wasn't this pioneering attacking force he has been built up as (his goalscoring record was pitiful and he scored less than Djalma). Personally thought Djalma is different gravy, much more intelligent, more dynamic, tougher to beat and just a classier player in general.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Been going through lots of full back research and I would say Thuram from what I have seen. He just looks a class below guys like Carlos Alberto or Djalma to me.. he relied a fair bit on his athleticism, was out of position a fair bit and didn't bomb forward with the same class, or have amazing technical skills and delivery.

Still a force of nature don't get me wrong, and very solid when told to just defend i.e. as a CB or as a RCB, but as a proper full-back, he doesn't feature in my top 5 full backs.
I consider Thuram as a CB. Not as a RB.

Djalma, CAT, Zanetti, Cafu and Vogts are my Top-5 RBs of all time.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Interesting. He obviously falls short of the best attacking right-backs going forward. Defensively though he's my number one of all time. Very, very few got the better of him.

Moby

Dick
Interesting. He obviously falls short of the best attacking right-backs going forward. Defensively though he's my number one of all time. Very, very few got the better of him.
Yeah. He is basically a brick wall against the most talented of wingers as well.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't recall anyone beating him - but I watched a number of games where he was caught out of position, Cafu also massively guilty of this whenever they bombed forward and they were both reliant on being covered by their right centre-back. Thuram was fortunate in that he played right back for two rock solid sides in France and Juve, so he could rely on being covered. On the other hand, if Thuram was told to focus on his defensive duties and made to man-mark or just stay back - he was rock solid. As we all now, he was also solid as a centre-back.. so it wasn't that he lacked defensive intuition completely, just that at right back - positioning didn't come as naturally as it did for others IMO.

I wouldn't have him as my number one defensive right back - that would be Djalma.. absolutely rock solid, pacey, good reading of the game, positionally perfect, powerhouse and fine tackler.

Carlos for example, gets written off defensively, but in terms of work-rate and positioning - he always got back. He only slightly struggled against top tier wingers because his 1 v 1 defensive skills, or his 'reading of the game' was more suspect than Cafu or Thuram.

Himannv

:lol: I'd always love Pupi! just wanted to know what others think as Lahm has had an amazing career as well. Especially at NT level he's been unbelievably consistent over multiple tournaments.
I just about prefer Lahm personally. I think he's extremely consistent and he's had a fantastic career as a fullback. He's won it all and has all the attributes you could ask for in a fullback really.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I just about prefer Lahm personally. I think he's extremely consistent and he's had a fantastic career as a fullback. He's won it all and has all the attributes you could ask for in a fullback really.
Lahm and Zanetti are probably the most balanced fullbacks of all time. In a modern setting they quintessentially set that bar to say. I can’t really choose between them and probably have them on same tier.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He's won it all and has all the attributes you could ask for in a fullback really.
Except for pace. But to be fair he never really struggled because the lack of it.