Poch as Manager, Ole as Director of Football

buckooo1978

Poch for many of us was first choice for our next permanent manager. He's the best point per point manager in the league, has Spurs playing lovely stuff consistently over the last few years and he's taken them as far as he can I think, hampered by the necessity to shop for tier 2 and 3 players and you could see some of their stars follow Kyle Walker out the door with wage constraints

Ole has been fantastic and if he keeps up with the level of performance he should be manager. His team is a reflection of him and by extension a 90s Fergie team in the style of play.

If it had to be Poch I can't think of a better DoF than Ole. He understands the club, loves the club, seems to have a character that suggests he would be easy to work with

would Ole accept it or see it as a step down too far? it's really a step up in many ways as the DoF affirms the footballing culture the manager signs up for.

Would Poch accept this? I think their core values are compatible (attacking football, youth, winning)

what say you

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ole has no experience as DOF

red thru&thru

You have to understand the role of a DoF. Nothing lends itself to say Ole could be a DoF.

pacifictheme

Agree with the others. Ole has no experience as a dof.

My vote would be someone like van der sar.

Greck

What experience does Ole have in an executive role at a big or small club?

Gopher Brown

You have to understand the role of a DoF. Nothing lends itself to say Ole could be a DoF.
I’m not sure anyone on here really knows what a DoF does, just that it’s incredibly important that we appoint the right one.

buckooo1978

I take the point about experience but every DoF started somewhere

maybe my understanding of the role isn't complete but I'd say Ole has plenty of relatable experience

as i mentioned someone who understands the club, good communicator, a good attitude and empathetic, has undoubtedly had experience working with agents in his football career and managerial roles. We dont know how well he'd manage a scouting network and scouting manager but there's nothing to say he wouldn't do well. what have I missed?

If Ole does do well he might find himself highly sought after by lots of clubs which is a factor to consider. I'd loathe to see him somewhere like West Ham

Kostur

海尔的老板
How about Ole has done his coaching his badges and been coaching our youth setup, reserves, Molde, Cardiff, Molde again and now us because he likes being a coach?

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I think some of our supporters need educating on what a director of football actually does.

This is about the third time somebody has come up with a silly (I'd like to say stupid but I'm trying not to be too offensive) opinion on who should fill the post.

utter nonsense.

Johan07

Solskjaer should not be made DoF. For many reasons.
For one thing: he has a very shady past in his dealings with the Norwegian agent Jim Solbakken both at Cardiff and at Molde.
I am surprised that this has not been picked up by any of the English tabloids, but it would most certainly would if United would appoint him in that role.

Red_Legion

Amazing that people still think the DOF at a club is just some throwaway figure that you can hire any old guy to run it. Just throwing out vague ideas of how the team should play and occasional saying out loud a name of a player from another club for no reason whatsoever.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Presumably VDS had a learning curve when he went into that role? He was a footballer too

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Sounds like a solution you would wanna go for if you are trying to please both emotions and brains. Think you might end up pleasing neither.

red thru&thru

I think some of our supporters need educating on what a director of football actually does.

This is about the third time somebody has come up with a silly (I'd like to say stupid but I'm trying not to be too offensive) opinion on who should fill the post.

utter nonsense.
This is why fans should not make executive decisions. They think too much with their hearts and no actual logic is applied.

We don’t need a “Manchester United” man for the role. Just someone who has the same values as the club.

Gopher Brown

Presumably VDS had a learning curve when he went into that role? He was a footballer too
Presumably VDS received training for his first job at Ajax as Marketing Director, then for his follow up as CEO.

At no point has VDS ever been Director of Football, if you’d read anything about this you’d know that.

crossy1686

career ending
fecking stop it. Just pick one and go for it instead of trying to shoehorn two managers into the club. Or why stop there? Giggs in as Assistant Manager, Pep in as attacking coach, Benitez in as defensive coach, Klopp in as cheerleader. What could possibly go wrong?

beedoubleyou

Man who wants the job overseeing man who has the job. I can not imagine this relationship working out.

Needs to be Ole or a clean break.

I think the latter is the club's preference, I'm pretty sure they are already working on the deal, but Ole could well give them a problem to deal with.

As Sir Alex used to say when he had a full squad of inform players, it's a nice problem to have.

Gopher Brown

Silly question but where does one get experience to be DOF?
The same place normal careers develop?

Prove yourself at a smaller company and work your way up to the top. We are a billion pound organisation, you can’t appoint a novice to this suddenly incredibly important job.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's highly unlikely that he'd even be interested in DOF job. It's obviously a nice option of staying in the club and earning nice money, but it seems to me that he has unfulfilled manager's ambitions that will prevail.

GJNJ

I think a Dof is slightly different from club to club but I think it's more of a strategic role then people realise. I think some clubs use it more of a PR role or just a link between a manager and a board.

I think in our case we are looking for someone to link all of our departments together eg youth, teams, first teams, scout, recruitment and board. To plan the succession of players, coaches and managers. Importantly to ensure the clubs vision is being implemented (playing style, promotion of youth), identify players for transfer that fit into that mould not to block promising talent from the first team. Eg signing a 29 year old left inside forward when we have a 22 year old top player in the first team when you need a right winger. Not buy a 20 year old prospect when you have 3 in the u18's and u23's squads that need to have game time.

Not sure any manager would really want this role as it would be more 'admin' then working with players.

harms

Staff
Silly question but where does one get experience to be DOF?
Take a look at Marotta's career, for example — he's probably the best DOF out there. Aged 21 he started his career as a director of youth department for his hometown club, a year later he was their general manager and then moved slowly through the ranks — through Seria C and Seria B to Serie A sides Atlanta and Sampdoria before finally signing for Juventus.

Skills

Snitch
Another clueless suggestion.
This.

The more of this kind of shit I read on here the more I'm convinced the club needs to make both appointments external.

We're just not the right club for this.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Take a look at Marotta's career, for example — he's probably the best DOF out there. Aged 21 he started his career as a director of youth department for his hometown club, a year later he was their general manager and then moved slowly through the ranks — through Seria C and Seria B to Serie A sides Atlanta and Sampdoria before finally signing for Juventus.
Marotta isn't a DOF though, he is above that position. He replaced Blanc who wasn't a DOF either.

klsv

I was asked to see more positives in life this year by my psychiatrist.

So here, I'm very happy that the Caf won't be hiring us a DOF.

harms

Staff
Marotta isn't a DOF though, he is above that position. He replaced Blanc who wasn't a DOF either.
Yeah, on paper, but he still oversaw all transfers in every one of his clubs, didn't he? I think that Paratici's responsibilities were mostly related to scouting. Perhaps I'm wrong on this one though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah, on paper, but he still oversaw all transfers in every one of his clubs, didn't he? I think that Paratici's responsibilities were mostly related to scouting.
Yes, he is the executive in charge of all things that aren't financial. The actual DOF, Ausilio at Inter or Paratici at Juventus are his subordinate, my point is that calling him a DOF is reducing his job to a fraction of it particularly if you focus on transfers. He is an actual member of the board, no different to the CFO.

minoo-utd

We need an experienced DoF at this club, someone with a good C.V. You just can't give a job like this to anyone.

Gopher Brown

I was asked to see more positives in life this year by my psychiatrist.

So here, I'm very happy that the Caf won't be hiring us a DOF.
I’m glad none of us have any decision making power, me included.

Kapardin

These threads. Give it a rest. First let's give Ole time to prove himself, there's still 5 odd months left.