Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinGin

Typical of the caf to deny any credit to an impressive UCL win if it's a manager they're not keen on.

1) Poch is lucky because Bayern had some key injuries.
2) PSG weren't dominating the game.
3) PSG should've lost if Bayern converted their chances.
4) Poch only relies on individual brilliance.
5) Even if Poch wins the UCL, he still isn't world class.

After reading out all the excuses out loud, do you even feel like a teenage school girl now?

Grow up folks, give credit where credit is due. Knocking out Bayern is a huge feat, and Poch deserves the praise, no matter how irrational your hate towards him is.

And by the way, the list of excuses has been used against Ole at some point too, to put things into perspective.
Yes, this is the same meme against Ole who rate him as a PE teacher.
1. We are luck because other team had a major injuries
2. We weren't dominating the game
3. We should've lost if factor x,y,z were occurred
4. Ole only relies on individual brilliance
5. Did Di Matteo classed a world class manager? He won the UCL already, not in the "even if" ff.

Paul_Scholes18

I thought PSG was totally dominant and Neymar should have scored 3-4 goals. Never seen a team so good and not scoring. Maybe us vs Portsmouth.

Favorites to win it now surely? Could smash City if Neymar has a day he scores.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Much better performance from his side yesterday. Partly because they were more willing to go up and attack in numbers rather than purely relying on Neymar releasing Mbappe.

The last 30 minutes when they started sitting back was not a great decision, as it allowed Bayern to attack in numbers, but with benefit of hindsight, it turned out to be a good decision, especially as they were helped by Sane's wastefulness. Irrespective, credit to Poch for beating Bayern over two legs

troylocker

They might actually win it this season. Hope not though. Dislike oilteams with a passion.

Phil Osophy

PSG were lucky to face this game from such a privileged tactical position, but from that point they did it well yesterday to secure the tie. Surprisingly well in my opinion, coming from two crap performances against Bayern and that second leg vs Barcelona where they conceded more than 50 attempts and produced 10 or 12.

Yesterday they were far more pro-active and tried to kill off the game with a lot of missed chances. PSG were in total control despite not having possession, and until the last stages never got too deep so Bayern weren't allowed to bombard their box. All in all a very good performance.

I'd still have preferred Bayern to face City in that potential semifinal as they give me more confidence, but as there's no choice I'll be backing these dirty gits with a nose clip.

bsCallout

The only team that's I'd be reasonably content with winning the CL now other than RM. We really messed up not getting out the group's, this is a weak CL year.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The only team that's I'd be reasonably content with winning the CL now other than RM. We really messed up not getting out the group's, this is a weak CL year.
Why not Dortmund? Would be terrific for a small club to win the CL.

Devil81

They might actually win it this season. Hope not though. Dislike oilteams with a passion.
I'd say the trophy is going to one of the oil teams this season.

Madrid and Chelsea have frailties both City and PSG will expose.

hubbuh

It's absolutely gutting. Stings way worse than our bungled title charge. Chelsea and (probably) City in the semis is fecking awful. Either of them could easily win it.

TheGame

Why bother replying? Poch joined halfway through the season with PSG 3rd. They're now second after successively knocking out Barcelona and Bayern Munich in Europe on top of that.

@Amadaeus , keep up the excellent work in this thread!

@Bebestation just hates seeing Poch praised.
And they have risen a grand total one 1 place in his time in charge in what is relatively a poor league (French teams performance in Europe apart from PSG is a prime example of this). His record is 4 defeats in 14 games in the league which isn't great. The league is normally a foregone conclusion and to not win it would be pretty embarrassing for the club.

I like Poch and think he is a good manager. He did really well at Spurs and its a great achievement knocking out Bayern over 2 legs. Should he praised for winning the UCL if he does so, definitely. Do I however think he is one of the top 2 managers in the world, definitely not. Do I believe anyone saying this is actually deluded or a WUM, definitely.

Wilt

I thought PSG was totally dominant and Neymar should have scored 3-4 goals. Never seen a team so good and not scoring. Maybe us vs Portsmouth.

Favourites to win it now surely? Could smash City if Neymar has a day he scores.
City are still the favourites

Dr. StrangeHate

I'd say the trophy is going to one of the oil teams this season.

Madrid and Chelsea have frailties both City and PSG will expose.
Funny thing is PSG are an average team through out with Mbappe, Neymar and Veratti the only players who would get into United XI. Their saving grace is Mbappe and Neymar are easily the two best forwards in the world and they have a good manager.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Funny thing is PSG are an average team through out with Mbappe, Neymar and Veratti the only players who would get into United XI. Their saving grace is Mbappe and Neymar are easily the two best forwards in the world and they have a good manager.
Agree. PSG aren't all that. People really need to go and look at their league results this year, they are quite a beatable team.

troylocker

Why bother replying? Poch joined halfway through the season with PSG 3rd. They're now second after successively knocking out Barcelona and Bayern Munich in Europe on top of that.

@Amadaeus , keep up the excellent work in this thread!

@Bebestation just hates seeing Poch praised.
PSG's league results since he joined has been weak, their results in the CL has been strong.
They have been the 3rd best team in the league, 8 points weaker than Monaco and 2 points weaker than Lille, since he joined. He is further away from the top of the league now than he was when he took over (1 point when he took over, 3 points now). That's bad, just plain bad for a team with their qualities and resources in that league.
First match against Barca was brilliant, while they were both lucky and good to get past Bayern in the CL, qudos for that, but a Bayern with Lewa would probably have stopped them. The result in Munchen was nothing short of a football miracle, and had nothing to do with good coaching. I don't think I've ever seen a team being dominated like that and still win the match, scoring on all 3 of their chances while not conceding more than 2 from the 24(!!!) chances Bayern created against them. 4,16 xG vs. 1,02 xG is just crazy. Yesterday they exploited the space Bayern gave them well and deserved a goal or two.

Poch's impact on the team so far is hard to spot. Can't tell if it's been positive or negative yet, but he needs to win the league if he doesn't win the CL to avoid being seen as a failiure based on his first half season.

Last edited:

George the Cat

Agree. PSG aren't all that. People really need to go and look at their league results this year, they are quite a beatable team.
Yeah I mean we beat PSG and you know how dire we are, just ask a lot of the supposed United fans who post on here.

AgentSmith

Being counterattacked doesn’t mean you worse. Despite chances. PSG found the way to beat Bayern and credit to them. As I mentioned, it looked like Ajax Tottenham.

If he wins one or two trophies credit to him. But way to go before We talk about world class. One season doesn’t make you king of the Castle. You need to be winning little more.
Did Man City dominate us when we beat them 2-0? Possession without purpose is pointless and ineffective. PSG should have scored 4 or 5, while Bayern were lucky to score their 1, and they were easily the better team last night and deserved to go through based on that performance. They definitely rode their luck in the 1st leg but that was countered by Bayern's yesterday.

I don't know why you keep using the Ajax game as some stick to beat Spurs with. Spurs lost the 1st leg 1-0 and had slightly more possession with 12 shots compared to Ajax's 10 but played poorly. They then won the 2nd leg 3-2 with 24 shots and 60% possession. How does that resemble either of the PSG games? The only common factor between the two ties is the manager which probably gives some indication as to the underlying motivation behind your posts.

Last edited:

Sylar

Even if he wins the CL people on here will act as if he isn’t a great manager.

PSG will be set up to give City a tough game on paper.
It goes two ways. I mean beating barca, Bayern, city over 2 legs and then a one off win vs Madrid/liverpool or Chelsea is pretty good

But then at the same time di Matteo by that standard is a great manager for turning around that Napoli game, beating Benfica, doing over prime Barcelona and then beating Bayern in the final in their home turf

saivet

I largely agree though I'd add also Maquinhos to that list.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
City are still the favourites
Don't know about that.

People are really underestimating PSG, have a great midfield, a world class attacking trio and Pochettino got them in tune. Their CL psychological bareer was overcome last season even if they ended runner-up.

For me, out of all the semi-finalists MCFC are actually the least likely to win it. They got, as usual, a very easy CL run and they weren't really tested. Dortmund aren't at their best, even with Haaland. Let's also not forget Pep's bad habit of overthinking these kind of games and choking in the knock-out stages.

I think that PSG will knock them out, should they beat Dortmund tonight which is all but guaranteed.

Last edited:

cyberman

PSG plays on a style that terrifies Pep. Hopefully we never see it though

Lee565

He has knocked out Barca and Bayern already, he deserves a heap of credit for that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
PSG's league results since he joined has been weak, their results in the CL has been strong.
They have been the 3rd best team in the league, 8 points weaker than Monaco and 2 points weaker than Lille, since he joined. He is further away from the top of the league now than he was when he took over (1 point when he took over, 3 points now). That's bad, just plain bad for a team with their qualities and resources in that league.
First match against Barca was brilliant, while they were both lucky and good to get past Bayern in the CL, qudos for that, but a Bayern with Lewa would probably have stopped them. The result in Munchen was nothing short of a football miracle, and had nothing to do with good coaching. I don't think I've ever seen a team being dominated like that and still win the match, scoring on all 3 of their chances while not conceding more than 2 from the 24(!!!) chances Bayern created against them. 4,16 xG vs. 1,02 xG is just crazy. Yesterday they exploited the space Bayern gave them well and deserved a goal or two.

Poch's impact on the team so far is hard to spot. Can't tell if it's been positive or negative yet, but he needs to win the league if he doesn't win the CL to avoid being seen as a failiure based on his first half season.
Saying that the results in the league have been weak is an overstatement. They have a record of 10 wins out of 15 games, so 67% winning rate which is pretty good. The issue is that comparatively Monaco have been on a tear with 12 wins in 15 games, the other teams haven't been weak it's just that Monaco are on exceptional form.

Wilt

Don't know about that.

People are really underestimating PSG, have a great midfield, a world class attacking trio and Pochettino got them in tune. Their CL psychological bareer was overcome last season even if they ended runner-up.

For me, out of all the semi-finalists MCFC are actually the least likely to win it. They got, as usual, a very easy CL run and they weren't really tested. Dortmund aren't at their best, even with Haaland. Let's also not forget Pep's bad habit of overthinking these kind of games and choking in the knock-out stages.

I think that PSG will knock them out, should they beat Dortmund tonight which is all but guaranteed.
City are clear 7/4 favourites (with all bookmakers) and they‘ve been favourites from the start.

Assuming City beat Dortmund, they’ll probably be cut into around 5/4.

Halftrack

Are people being serious with this "world class" stuff? Benitez two la Ligas and the UEFA Cup with Valencia, then the CL with Liverpool, and I don't remember anyone but Liverpool fans calling him world class.

Winning the CL would obviously be a great achievement, but I think the "World Class" moniker should require a little more than just winning the CL.

JPRouve

Scout
Are people being serious with this "world class" stuff? Benitez two la Ligas and the UEFA Cup with Valencia, then the CL with Liverpool, and I don't remember anyone but Liverpool fans calling him world class.

Winning the CL would obviously be a great achievement, but I think the "World Class" moniker should require a little more than just winning the CL.
Benitez was world class though. If you manage some of the best teams in Europe, teams that you actively brought to that level then you are world class.

tomaldinho1

Benitez was world class though. If you manage some of the best teams in Europe, teams that you actively brought to that level then you are world class.
True. I think if a manager has managed a top team in a major league, had success both domestically and in Europe they were world class at that time but time without trophies really hurts managers. For example, Mou's trophy cabinet won't be matched by 99% of managers and look at how he is viewed now, you'd probably find he wouldn't make most fans top 10 maybe even top 20.

JPRouve

Scout
True. I think if a manager has managed a top team in a major league, had success both domestically and in Europe they were world class at that time but time without trophies really hurts managers. For example, Mou's trophy cabinet won't be matched by 99% of managers and look at how he is viewed now, you'd probably find he wouldn't make most fans top 10 maybe even top 20.
Exactly, maybe people struggle with the idea that being world class as a manager isn't a definitive state? Their careers are rarely linear in particular when they manage for a long time, like players they grow, peak and decline. And Benitez's peak was definitely world class.

gibers

Verratti and Marquinhos fit, should make a big difference to the matchup against City.
Crowning City already? How many times have they bottled it at this stage? :lol:

I predict the final will be PSG vs Real Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.