Gaming Pocket Monsters Legends: Arceus | 'A Bold New Direction' | 85+ on Metacritic

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The new Pokemon game comes out today and it's garnering some fresh reviews over on Metacritic.

The Torygraph call it the 'best game Game Freak has created the best Pokémon title in decades'.

IGN Italia contrast this by saying it's a 'disappointing experience'.

Anybody buying it? Share your thoughts below ↓

First 30 Minutes~

Last edited:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
New pocket monsters game comes out today and it's garnering some fresh reviews over on Metacritic.

The Torygraph call it the 'best game Game Freak has created the best Pokémon title in decades'.

IGN Italia contrast this by saying it's a 'disappointing experience'.

Anybody buying it?

Graphically it looks like they've just placed a load of pokemon in the Breath of the Wild world. I still haven't got round to playing BotW so I'll pass for now.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Graphically it looks like they've just placed a load of Pokémon in the Breath of the Wild world. I still haven't got round to playing BotW so I'll pass for now.
It certainly looks like they've seen what's on the menu at BotW Express and copied it entirely.

You should play BotW btw. It's very good (though I'm sure you're sick of hearing that).

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
It certainly looks like they've seen what's on the menu at BotW Express and copied it entirely.

You should play BotW btw. It's very good (though I'm sure you're sick of hearing that).
I've got the game, I just haven't got round to it yet. Its one of those games which I know I'll love but I need to block out everything for a few days to play it properly.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ooh. I have the whole weekend to myself and no games to play so might take a look at this.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Checked out some reviews and it seems like the open world is pretty dead and mostly exists to just catch Pokemon. Might give it a miss.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Checked out some reviews and it seems like the open world is pretty dead and mostly exists to just catch Pokemon. Might give it a miss.
That's my feeling of what I've seen so far as well. But I'll watch a few reviews and see what I think.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Got it today, only played a couple of hours and so far the open world is all about catching pokemon, but catching pokemon is what the game is all about and its much more interesting than it is in the mainline games. I wouldn't call it quite a "BOTW" moment in the franchise, but it definitelly feels like they've finally taken the sort of step forward people have been asking for for years, and like I say I'm only a couple of hours in so there's probably more mechanics I don't know about yet. Looking forward to playing it a bunch over the weekend.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
How has Pokemon not been cancelled anyway. Capturing cute wild animals and making them fight each other seems wrong on quite a few levels.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I like the direction it's going in but from the videos I've seen, seems like a bit of a dead world and graphically really does not look as good as it should. BotW looks better despite being a lot older at this point. Love the idea of making pokemon in a BotW type world/game though, just unsure if it'll be executed properly.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This is such a breath of fresh air for the series. I'm about four hours in and I don't want to go back to the old formula. Please expand on this for Gen 9, Gamefreak.

MiceOnMeth

The pop in and awfully low texture and empty open world is really putting me off trying this. It almost feels like a pokemon catching simulator without all the trainers to battle and gyms to beat.

Evans999

I'm so disappointed. I played for three hours this morning and spent roughly two hours watching cut scenes. Hopefully when you can actually explore the game experience improves. Had so much potential.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Definitely won't be buying it.

it's a step in the right direction, but, to really revive a stale series, it needs real time battles.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Contemplating getting this. I liked the old games, but got bored of the series a few generations ago. Especially because it's just waaaaay to easy and always the same. I loath open world games though. So much so that I do not at all rate games like BotW or RDR 2.

Should I get this?

unplayable

Contemplating getting this. I liked the old games, but got bored of the series a few generations ago. Especially because it's just waaaaay to easy and always the same. I loath open world games though. So much so that I do not at all rate games like BotW or RDR 2.

Should I get this?
Probably not.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So I bought Chrono Trigger of Marktplaats (Dutch ebay), but it's the US version and doesn't run on my PAL 3ds even though 2ds games should not be region locked. I then bought a regular DS of marktplaats because unlike the 3ds the 2ds isn't region locked at all. It still didn't work which is because apparantly I bought a DSi, which is sometimes region locked?

Either way, I am now the proud owner of an old pink DSi with 1 game that doesn't actually work on it.

I'm now playing Chrono Trigger on my phone.

I suck.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Been playing it this weekend, it’s a step in the right direction, but more steps needed.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The start is so frustratingly broken up with cutscenes etc.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Actually kind of like it so far. Just running around and catching stuff is quite relaxing.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I've warmed to it. The most enjoyable part of pokemon was always to collect as many as you can, evolve them etc. Using different techniques to catch them mixes it up a bit.

What it does lack is diversity in populating the pokemon in the open world. The alphas are always in the same spot, and the same type. Pretty easy to find what you are looking for.

Also, anyone tried catching the flying pokemon like togetic or gyarados? Thats a pain in the arse!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The start is so frustratingly broken up with cutscenes etc.
This has put me off getting this game. Switch is a console that I want to be able to use sparingly for 20-30 minute sessions, a perfect pick up and play machine when I don't necessarily have the time to sit down in my chair and spend a couple of hours getting myself engaged in the game. Having repetitive cutscenes etc. is making it impossible. Zelda and Mario are perfect in that regard, they can be played for literally 10 minutes at a time and still enjoyed.

Bosws87

I haven't kept up with the pokemon games which one of the millions they have made did they actually finally change the game.

I must of played through at least 6/7 versions which were for all intent and purposes the exact same game with different pokemon or slightly different characters i think even a switch version i played was still basically the same as the original gameboy versions x amount of years ago.

Has this changed now and which game did they actually change the formula.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm really liking it now that I'm past the cutscenes. No dumb 8 year old copy paste story about gyms, just running around and catching pokemon. And the ability to catch them without battling is a billion times better than doing it all through random encounters.

unplayable

Also, anyone tried catching the flying pokemon like togetic or gyarados? Thats a pain in the arse!
Haven't tried to catch the flying gyarados yet, because I already caught a lot of them in the water, but togetic was pretty easy I thought.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I've warmed to it. The most enjoyable part of pokemon was always to collect as many as you can, evolve them etc. Using different techniques to catch them mixes it up a bit.

What it does lack is diversity in populating the pokemon in the open world. The alphas are always in the same spot, and the same type. Pretty easy to find what you are looking for.

I managed to catch the magnezone with a feather ball.