Pogba and Bruno as midfield pair, 6 and 8

Green_Red

Why does Ole not play Pogba and Bruno in midfield?

Pogba can be the 6 (DM with license to get forward) and Bruno can be the 8. Why is this not an option he has tried yet? It solves the issues about getting them into the team and also makes space in the front 3 or 4 for Rashford, Ronaldo/Cavani/Greenwood, Greenwood/Sancho.

Comparing boths attributes to our previous successful midfields of Keane / Scholes, and Scholes / Carrick, what is it that Pogba / Bruno are lacking for this to be an option?

Lentwood

Pogba can be the 6 and Bruno can be the 8. Why is this not an option he has tried yet? It solves the issues about getting them into the team and also makes space in the front 3 or 4 for Rashford, Ronaldo/Cavani/Greenwood, Greenwood/Sancho.

Comparing boths attributes to our previous successful midfields of Keane / Scholes, and Scholes / Carrick, what is it that Pogba / Bruno are lacking for this to be an option?
Whilst we're at it, why don't we try Ronaldo at DM?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Pogba can be the 6 and Bruno can be the 8. Why is this not an option he has tried yet? It solves the issues about getting them into the team and also makes space in the front 3 or 4 for Rashford, Ronaldo/Cavani/Greenwood, Greenwood/Sancho.
Our biggest issue this season seems to be trying to get people into the team. We have seen how that's gone for us. Pogba is not the answer to our problems

Green_Red

Whilst we're at it, why don't we try Ronaldo at DM?
Why can't Pogba play that role? He can tackle and he can pick passes forward. He was made to play that role by Mourinho. He is capable of playing that role. Why not?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don’t think Pogba has the work rate or discipline to be a 6

i don’t know if we will ever see a consistent PP at United

gfive

Because they'd endlessly give the ball away in dangerous positions, while offering very little protection to the defence.

Not to say that this doesn't already happen, but that pairing would be even worse in that respect in my opinion.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
what is it that Pogba / Bruno are lacking for this to be an option?
Defensive positional awareness. Willingness to track opponents. Consistently accurate and quick short passing. Press resistance.

youmeletsfly

I don’t think Pogba has the work rate or discipline to be a 6

i don’t know if we will ever see a consistent PP at United
He has both the work rate and the discipline I think.
He lacks the intelligence needed for a defensive role. He's very good at offensive positioning but he's absolute trash at defensive positioning.

Passitlikescholes

We need to cut our losses with Pogba, send him packing.

He has no agility, can't read the game defensively, gets pushed off the ball too easily, tries stupid flicks in really bad positions and gives it away making us very vulnerable.

There's simply no room for Pogba anymore

I'd be playing matic in the fernandinho role and have Fred and Bruno playing 8 in front of matic (we don't need a 10 with out forwards/wingers). This then finally allows us to use VDB as well interchanging with either Fred or Bruno

Zoo

Formation or who starts doesn’t matter anymore.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Because Bruno has no positional discipline. He plays like a 6 year old running at the ball constantly. He needs to keep position or sit and watch from the side. PP may not be the best at tracking his runner, but he is much better at holding position, and is always involved.

EtH

Rashy-Ronnie-Edi-Mason-Sancho
—————Pogba-Bruno

:drool:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He has both the work rate and the discipline I think.
He lacks the intelligence needed for a defensive role. He's very good at offensive positioning but he's absolute trash at defensive positioning.
I think he lacks all 3 in fairness
But you know his biggest issue is game intelligence

I honestly don’t see how he fits in at United.

dweb

Why can't Pogba play that role? He can tackle and he can pick passes forward. He was made to play that role by Mourinho. He is capable of playing that role. Why not?
Yeah, he stopped Keita. Great tackle.

Flexdegea

Because Bruno has no positional discipline. He plays like a 6 year old running at the ball constantly. He needs to keep position or sit and watch from the side. PP may not be the best at tracking his runner, but he is much better at holding position, and is always involved.

And Bruno never involved?

Pogba done at this club, quicker he goes the better.

Can't wait for the day we not have to discuss how best to get him involved so he can be world-class. 3rd manager he's worked under isn't it?

Nick7

Neither of them are any use at the defensive part of either of those positions. Bruno seems like he can play 8 but he'd need two players around him with more skills defensively. Pogba just can't play in midfield in our team. He goes missing, is fecking awful at tackling, loses the ball in dangerous positions every game, doesn't track runners from midfield. The list goes on.

diarm

For the same reason we don't play Wan-Bissaka in the Bergkamp role.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I strongly believe that Bruno is in the same situation than someone like Kroos or Scholes were years ago. He is a CM and he is wasted higher on the pitch, the stats look good but the contribution to team play is subpar while his overall abilities are wasted.

MalaysianRed7

If there’s one way to make our results worse, this is it. A midfield pairing of Pogba and Bruno would genuinely be the most unbalanced in PL history. I’ve never seen a more ill-disciplined supposed central midfielder than Pogba in 12 years of watching football to date, and you want him as a #6? Even Bruno would be a better #6. This midfield would get taken apart by Championship teams, let alone Premier League.

For me, our best midfield pivot is Matic-Fred or Matic-Donny. Both pairings give us defensive stability, energy. technical ability and most importantly, discipline, which any pivot playing behind Bruno needs. I still believe in Fred, who plays every important game for Brazil in the B2B role I’d want him to fulfil. Pogba and McTominay would be done if I was in charge. Move on and invest in Tchouameni and Gravenberch in the summer (no fee for Pogba, but massive wages off the bill).

If it were up to me, our midfield options next season would look something like this:

Gravenberch
Tchouameni
Donny
Fred
Matic
Garner

Spaghetti

Mom's
And Bruno never involved?

Pogba done at this club, quicker he goes the better.

Can't wait for the day we not have to discuss how best to get him involved so he can be world-class. 3rd manager he's worked under isn't it?
No, he’s not always involved because he’s always out of position. Pogba would be more productive in Bruno’s role. He understands football better.

Oldyella

Switches off too often. He's got all the attributes and talent for the role except for the focus.

Chip

Yeah, let's try with a 4-0-6.

While we're at it let's go all out and play Martial and Lingard as backs, Mata and Donny in central defence, and Elanga in goal.

flappyjay

He had a falling out with Mourinho because he couldn't fulfill that role. He is defensively weak hence why he was tried outwide. You either play a 4 3 3 with Paul at lcm or a france national team 4 4 2.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Both of them lack defensive awareness, Pogba also lacks work rate, Bruno lacks physicality.

Hammondo

Hes lazy, terrible positioning, bad focus, he doesn't dictate things well at all, hes slow on the ball.

He is very good at forward passing and being creative, but hes bad at the main core jobs.

Green_Red

Pogba isn't a 6 and Bruno isn't an 8.
Scholes started off as a forward, surely they can be coached into those positions? I would say they are two of our most intelligent players, couldn't they be coached for those positions?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Ole or our staff is simply clueless to make it work. For now, Bruno doesn't have the discipline to play as a 8. Pogba doesn't play like as a 6.

With a capable coach , who knows. May be it will happen.

If City can make Grealish,Silva,KDB,Foden work in one line up, there is no reason why we can't do it with Pogba and Bruno.

Green_Red

He had a falling out with Mourinho because he couldn't fulfill that role. He is defensively weak hence why he was tried outwide. You either play a 4 3 3 with Paul at lcm or a france national team 4 4 2.
4 4 2 is actually the formation I am thinking when I made the suggestion. It would give us some more defensive approach, allowing the midfielders and wingers to compact the midfield, make us a little less easy to play through. Defensive solidness needs to be our default starting point from now on. It would also allow us to leave Ronaldo to do his thing somewhat, whilst Rashford, Pogba, Bruno, Sancho focus more on protecting the back 4 in the defensive phases. After that they can break with counter attacks. We need to go back to the basics.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Scholes started off as a forward, surely they can be coached into those positions? I would say they are two of our most intelligent players, couldn't they be coached for those positions?
Scholes was a regular in central midfield at the age of 23. And he had a number of important attributes which both Pogba and Bruno are lacking.

spiriticon

You can start Bruno and Pogba as a 6 or 8 but after 10 minutes they'll be all over the pitch except at 6 or 8. In the meantime, there's 0 players in centre midfield and the opposition is laughing.

In fact you can say this of any of our attacking players. Giving them a starting position is pointless. They just let their 'feelings' guide their feet.

Last edited:

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Are you a 10 year old playing to much Fifa ?

Lets play 442 with Pogba and bruno as the midfield. Sancho and Rashford on the sides and Ronaldo and Cavani as our forwards :devil: Maybe we can substitute Bisakka with Martial, and Shaw with Greenwood as well:) Im sure we wont get overrun by most teams this way as we have all our best players on the pitch at the same time=)

Last edited: