Pogba apologises to fans after Cardiff

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Pogba is deluded if he didn’t expect stick after such a shit performance & a horrible year overall for the club. Other than making their feelings known via the pocketbook, giving verbal stick to the players is perhaps the only way to really be heard by them. If Pogba was to believe that he would get a standing ovation or sympathy, he is living in even more of a bubble than I thought.
Yes, he was the leader in goals & assists this season, but we also were shit as a team. He gets his goals & assists bonus £ because he plays professional football. Also as a professional footballer, getting stick from supporters is part of the game.
If he is in a state of shock now, good luck in the Bernabeu.
I'm pretty sure he didn't expect a standing ovation, but at least he engaged with the fans.
Most of the other players kept to themselves & their family, waving from afar.

At this point anything he did or didn't do would've been criticised.

don’t see a better metric than distance covered per 90 in all honestly.

He has actually played slightly more minutes this season across all comps, 4036 to 4012 and B Silva has played 3935.

Compared to the rest of our team

Herrera covered 11.7km per 90. Matic 11.5km. Fred 11.74. Mctominay 11.76.

Matic and Mctominay are tall and slim like Pogba too. Compared to Dacoure at Watford, another player of similar build, he covers 11.61km per game and has more minutes in the PL although less overall. Even compared to Eric Dier who is 6ft 2in and what I would consider as cumbersome he comes up short against 11.41km.

I don’t know the full data but I’d guess he’s at the lower end of distance covered for a midfielder per 9
Herrera, Fred & McTominay all played considerably less minutes though - I actually think Pogba played more minutes than all of those 3 combined, in the league.
He's pretty much the only outfield player who was expected to play 90mins per match twice a week (except Young, apparently) that's why I think it's not a direct metric to use the per 90min metric only. Minutes played matters a lot too especially over the course of a season when injuries & fatigue kick in and other midfielders were able to be rotated more regularly - Dier for example played half the amount of minutes as him in the league.

Even then the differences you're talking about come up to between 1-1.5km less on average per 90 mins - that's the equivalent of a few sprints for these guys over that time, again it's not something I would say is a significant marker to say Pogba comes up short, especially when he's playing more minutes than most other midfielders too.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ozil has done that too. He has won titles in a team where his weight was carried around by others and that team still wins titles without him so its an indication of how much really was his contributions in those titles.

World cup was one competition where he was focussed as if he didn't he would be nationally abused by the fans and there could be many men ready to replace him if he didn't turn up as manager wanted him to be. Also world cup ain't the same level of football compared to high level leagues and champions league.
Pogba is our no 1 goalscorer and assist man. Should he run more? The answer is yes. However I'd expect the fans to turn against all the useless tripe out there first

Let's see which ones will attract Real's attention. I am sure they would love signing our 'hardworking' British core

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yep he's the problem

Enjoy the likes of Young, Smalling, Phil jones and Lingard in the team next year.
Don't want them in the team either.

But that doesn't excuse Mr big bollocks going missing for 3/4 of the season. But for that purple patch when Ole first came in, he's been pathetic.

Do you think any of the other big 6 clubs would be queuing up to take him if he was up for sale ???? Absolutely no chance. He's got talent yes but he's missing so much more. Attitude stinks.

Loublaze

ATLien
Nothing spectacular. Ryan Fraser probably has better if you take his pens away. This is a £90m footballer we're talking about.
Ousamane Dembele, 15 goals 6 assists, attacker. Cost rising up to 180M, 4th most expensive signing ever
Coutinho, 13 goals 7 assists, attacker. Cost rising up to 184M, 3rd most expensive signing ever
Verratti, a caf muppets transfer dream for many a year. 2 goals 2 assists
Dybala, another muppet fantasy, 12 goals 4 assists, on par with Martial
David Silva 9 goals 10 assists
Bernado Silva 14 goals 8 assists
Gareth Bale 17 goals 6 assists
Higuain 75M 14 goals 2 assists

Nothing spectacular all over

Castia

Pogba is our no 1 goalscorer and assist man. Should he run more? The answer is yes. However I'd expect the fans to turn against all the useless tripe out there first

Let's see which ones will attract Real's attention. I am sure they would love signing our 'hardworking' British core

The problem with Pogba is people know how good he can be and when he doesn’t perform half of the time he’s the most infuriating player in the team.

There’s zero consistency with him, he’s either top level or utter shite he can’t just have a decent game and do his job.

Madrid will have a shock after Modric and Kroos have dominated for the past 5+ years, they won’t stand for the stupid shit Pogba tends to do.

devilish

I agree. He lacks agility and acceleration so he’s often caught behind. That said, Matic and Mctominay are of similar build and cover more distance.

I don’t see a better metric than distance covered per 90 in all honestly.

Eriksen has actually played slightly more minutes this season across all comps, 4036 to 4012 and B Silva has played 3935.

Compared to the rest of our team

Herrera covered 11.7km per 90. Matic 11.5km. Fred 11.74. Mctominay 11.76.

Matic and Mctominay are tall and slim like Pogba too. Compared to Dacoure at Watford, another player of similar build, he covers 11.61km per game and has more minutes in the PL although less overall. Even compared to Eric Dier who is 6ft 2in and what I would consider as cumbersome he comes up short against 11.41km.

I don’t know the full data but I’d guess he’s at the lower end of distance covered for a midfielder per 90
He is a frigging attacking midfielder not a work horse. He's there to do assists. If we depend so much on Pogba's workrate then why the feck we pay Lingard, Young, fred, Jones and Co for? Surely not for their dribbling and technique

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I agree. He lacks agility and acceleration so he’s often caught behind. That said, Matic and Mctominay are of similar build and cover more distance.
He is caught behind because he plays higher and if you look at McTominay closely the same thing happens. The actual issue here is Matic because his role is supposed to see him contain and cover the opposition while the other two come back and he has been terrible at it for a long time now. Pogba and McTominay seem complimentary from a statistical standpoint, Pogba tackles and creates more while McTominay intercepts and is more dominant in the air. It is the third player that isn't pulling its own weight, Matic should be at the top of all the stats like aerial, clearances, tackle and interceptions but he isn't, he either match McTominay and Pogba or is below them which given his role isn't normal.

devilish

The problem with Pogba is people know how good he can be and when he doesn’t perform half of the time he’s the most infuriating player in the team.

There’s zero consistency with him, he’s either top level or utter shite he can’t just have a decent game and do his job.

Madrid will have a shock after Modric and Kroos have dominated for the past 5+ years, they won’t stand for the stupid shit Pogba tends to do.
Pogba proved himself at Juve and with us. He won't struggle at Real. The problem is we surround him with donkeys and expect him to drag us to victory. At Real he won't have that issue as there are actually players and a manager who knows about football

Canagel

We used to use stats of Rooney to excuse him playing despite his decline too.
When Rooney declined he had nothing to back him apart from the past. Nothing from the present to justify his inclusion in first team.

el3mel

He'll get absolutely destroyed by Madrid fans for performances people here defend him for.

They were booing their legends Ronaldo and Iker for less worse performance ffs.

With his inconsistency and rock bottom level when he's having an off day (which are common), he better get used to be told to feck off because he'll hear this plenty of time from Bernabeu crowd.

Patrick08

Let him off the penalties duty you will find he is not. He has been a flat track bully against poor sides in this team and nothing else, when a real team shows up they pocket him and show him his true level.

Fans shout and abuse only to them who they have expectations off, not against shit show who they don't have any expectations off.

Attract real's attention? At the moment the only attention he is attracting is from rival fans laughing at how a poor and overrated he is. Real ain't run by clueless people.

el3mel

When Rooney declined he had nothing to back him apart from the past. Nothing from the present to justify his inclusion in first team.
Not really he was still producing similar stats in terms of goals and assists and people were excusing his form for such stats.

He was our top goal scorers in Moyes and LVG first season and second top goal scorer after Martial in LVG second season.

Actually in his last season before leaving which was the worst of his seasons at all and was on the bench loads of times, he ended up with 10 assists.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
No idea why people are getting so upset by it. If he goes then we won't be losing a key player. What's he been key to? Us finishing nowhere near the title winners for 3 years. There's plenty of players who can do that. Jon Jo Shelvey can ensure we get nowhere near City and he doesn't cost £90m.

Pogba is a talent. We all know he is. But his effort levels and attitude is shocking at times.

Would Klopp, Poch or Pep want him right now at their clubs? Absolutely no chance. They aren't stupid. They know he's a good footballer but they also know everything else that comes with him.

Sell him and let him go. We've lost far better players than him in the past. He's not fit to lace Scholes, Keane, Robson or even the traitor Paul Ince's boots. All those players did far more for this club. FAR more.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I will revive your faith in people, listen to that.

Lou Macari has always spoken crap, and his opinions on Ronaldo in his early years were absolutely pathetic. He's just another dinosaur that is employed by MUTV because no one else will take him on.

devilish

Let him off the penalties duty you will find he is not. He has been a flat track bully against poor sides in this team and nothing else, when a real team shows up they pocket him and show him his true level.

Fans shout and abuse only to them who they have expectations off, not against shit show who they don't have any expectations off.

Attract real's attention? At the moment the only attention he is attracting is from rival fans laughing at how a poor and overrated he is. Real ain't run by clueless people.
He shouldn't be our main goal scorerin the first place as he's not even a striker. Unfortunately wardrobe and Welbeck Mk2 don't score enough goals so he ended up our no 1 topscorer. The thing he should be judged upon is assists. He did very well and would probably had more if Rashy doesn't need 10 chances to score a goal

Zidane has clearly said that he would love him with real. Not lingard, not Rashy, not Jones but him. Unlike our manager he does know a think or two about football

Classical Mechanic

I'm pretty sure he didn't expect a standing ovation, but at least he engaged with the fans.
Most of the other players kept to themselves & their family, waving from afar.

At this point anything he did or didn't do would've been criticised.

Herrera, Fred & McTominay all played considerably less minutes though - I actually think Pogba played more minutes than all of those 3 combined, in the league.
He's pretty much the only outfield player who was expected to play 90mins per match twice a week (except Young, apparently) that's why I think it's not a direct metric to use the per 90min metric only. Minutes played matters a lot too especially over the course of a season when injuries & fatigue kick in and other midfielders were able to be rotated more regularly - Dier for example played half the amount of minutes as him in the league.

Even then the differences you're talking about come up to between 1-1.5km less on average per 90 mins - that's the equivalent of a few sprints for these guys over that time, again it's not something I would say is a significant marker to say Pogba comes up short, especially when he's playing more minutes than most other midfielders too.
I really do think 1-1.5km is significant difference in this context. RE the minutes, if you go back to last season for Matic he played more minutes than Pogba in the PL this season 3119 and more overall 4156 but still covered 11.74km per game in the PL on average. I’m not sure there’s much drop of with more minutes overall.

I don’t think Pogba is that hard working, more he’s a player to ‘build your team around’, like Messi or Hazard. They don’t have to track back as much because of how they impact the game at the other end. The question for me is if he’s consistent enough or if he does it in the big games enough for that kind of role. Perhaps the more pertinent question is if he even wants us to build the team round him.

Patrick08

Ousamane Dembele, 15 goals 6 assists, attacker. Cost rising up to 180M, 4th most expensive signing ever
Coutinho, 13 goals 7 assists, attacker. Cost rising up to 184M, 3rd most expensive signing ever
Verratti, a caf muppets transfer dream for many a year. 2 goals 2 assists
Dybala, another muppet fantasy, 12 goals 4 assists, on par with Martial
David Silva 9 goals 10 assists
Bernado Silva 14 goals 8 assists
Gareth Bale 17 goals 6 assists
Higuain 75M 14 goals 2 assists

Nothing spectacular all over
When will you realize that a midfielder isn't judged by goals.

WensleyMU

Yep he's the problem

Enjoy the likes of Young, Smalling, Phil jones and Lingard in the team next year.
Why, are you and the rest of the Pogba fanbase leaving with him?

Thank feck!!

Classical Mechanic

He is a frigging attacking midfielder not a work horse. He's there to do assists. If we depend so much on Pogba's workrate then why the feck we pay Lingard, Young, fred, Jones and Co for? Surely not for their dribbling and technique
He is caught behind because he plays higher and if you look at McTominay closely the same thing happens. The actual issue here is Matic because his role is supposed to see him contain and cover the opposition while the other two come back and he has been terrible at it for a long time now. Pogba and McTominay seem complimentary from a statistical standpoint, Pogba tackles and creates more while McTominay intercepts and is more dominant in the air. It is the third player that isn't pulling its own weight, Matic should be at the top of all the stats like aerial, clearances, tackle and interceptions but he isn't, he either match McTominay and Pogba or is below them which given his role isn't normal.
He plays the same role as Eriksen essentially, Madrid want one or the other. You can have the best of both worlds.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Are people still beating the "pogba gets criticized because he's black" drum? Rather than accept he gets criticized because he's a bit of a tit who half asses his way through some games, and playing like a god when he wants to, which ain't often enough. Just want this donut to take his circus to Madrid now.

devilish

He plays the same role as Eriksen essentially, Madrid want one or the other. You can have the best of both worlds.
Eriksen plays in a much better side who actually has a functional team and a striker who knows how to score goals. We don't

Classical Mechanic

Eriksen plays in a much better side who actually has a functional team and a striker who knows how to score goals. We don't
What does that hat have to do with workrate? They’re not a much better side either. We finished ahead of them only last season and 5 points behind them this season.

BringKlebersonBack

Pogba is a fantastic footballer, who has been our best player by far this season. Yes, he is inconsistent. Yes, he is not captain material. No, he does not track back and pull off superb tackles, before going on lung bursting runs, and smashing 30-yarders into the top corner. SO WHAT? This is not Football Manager. In real life, he is coveted by top European clubs, because he is outstanding. I think he was saying goodbye to Old Trafford today, knowing that he simply cannot continue to play for us, with the effect on his career. He wants the Champions League, and the Balon D’Or. In a better squad, he has a chance. Good luck to him - we will absolutely miss him when he is gone.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If you are strictly comparing Eriksen with Pogba then they are both caught behind and Eriksen should run more because he has often been used as a wide player. Eriksen creates a little bit more which is logic when you take into account his actual role and he is less present defensively.

And distance covered isn't really important, the intensity in relation to a certain role is.

BringKlebersonBack

What does that hat have to do with workrate? They’re not a much better side either. We finished ahead of them only last season and 5 points behind them this season.
This isn’t remotely true - Spurs are a MUCH better side. Their squad is far smaller, and they’ve had a terrible run of form - and they have STILL finished ahead of us, and are comfortably capable of thrashing us 3 or 4-0, if they turn up against us. Times have changed - they turn up now and say “Lads, it’s United”, and we know it. They expect to beat us. They’re class, we’re crap, and the sooner we acknowledge the gulf, the sooner we can start to rectify the situation.

Righteous Steps

Attacking midfielders run more than anyone these days, Bernardo Silva David Silva Eriksen etc.

devilish

Ah the workrate thing again. I don't give too much notice to that regarding attacking midfielders as others should be doing the donkey work especially in a team filled with donkeys. I've already said that on that regard he needs to improve. Not that it matters too much though as I said, attacking midfielders shouldn't be bailing out our defenders and midfielders. Their main aim is to create chances for the strikers to score and with Rashy upfront that's a full time job.

Patrick08

He also listed the assists
The thing that actually wins you trophies as a midfielder and is most important asset of a midfielder is control, that's how be won the world cup as well. But he never learns the most important aspect of a midfielder.

el3mel

Ah the workrate thing again. I don't give too much notice to that regarding attacking midfielders as others should be doing the donkey work especially in a team filled with donkeys. I've already said that on that regard he needs to improve. Not that it matters too much though as I said, attacking midfielders shouldn't be bailing out our defenders and midfielders. Their main aim is to create chances for the strikers to score and with Rashy upfront that's a full time job.
Except he's not an attacking midfielder. He's a CM.

Classical Mechanic

If you are strictly comparing Eriksen with Pogba then they are both caught behind and Eriksen should run more because he has often been used as a wide player. Eriksen creates a little bit more which is logic when you take into account his actual role and he is less present defensively.

And distance covered isn't really important, the intensity in relation to a certain role is.
I’m not sure that’s correct. He’s only played 4 games wide this season, it won’t account for him running 1.5km further every 90 minutes, unless he was a very busy boy on the wing.

You should watch Liverpool and City sometime and you might appreciate how important work rate from all players is in today’s game.

devilish

The thing that actually wins you trophies as a midfielder and is most important asset of a midfielder is control, that's how be won the world cup as well. But he never learns the most important aspect of a midfielder.
As an attacking midfielder his job is to create chances which he does. He would probably have more assists if we had a striker who can actually score goals

devilish

I’m not sure that’s correct. He’s only played 4 games wide this season, it won’t account for him running 1.5km further every 90 minutes, unless he was a very busy boy on the wing.

You should watch Liverpool and City sometime and you might appreciate how important work rate from all players is in today’s game.
I've watched Juventus during Pogba and he did very well at a side who has two of the most disciplinarians of managers. However that was a functional side, with players who have talent. He doesn't have that with United.

Loublaze

ATLien
When will you realize that a midfielder isn't judged by goals.
A midfielder who is relied on as a creative force is, including assists, come on now. He's on par with other players with big reputations and who were signed for big money

Rolaholic

The people harping on about workrate and using it to claim that Pogba would fail in Madrid must've never actually watched Toni Kroos play :lol:

devilish

He has always been a center midfielder for Juve, France and United.

He has never been a number 10.
He is usually the most advanced midfielder in a 3 men midfield.