Pogba did not get 4 assists

Status
Not open for further replies.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
You can’t claim an assist when the player you’ve passed it to takes several touches before scoring. An assist is an assist if the player scores immediately from the pass received (see Fred’s goal, Bruno’s third).

Therefore Pogba got one assist yesterday, the same as Lindelof.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
100%. unless it is a first time finish then the assist should also go to the goal scorer.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Absolutely.

And that rule only applies to Pogba too, unless he sign us the new contract now.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i also think that the goal should only count as the scorer’s goal if it goes directly in to the net, any deflection or touch from the goalkeeper or post should mean the goal is attributed there. so greenwood should be on 0 goals. it would ensure his takes more care in placing his shots in future.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This thread is pointless. An assist is when you score of a pass or a cross from someone else, it doesn’t matter how many touches you have, you can’t assist yourself, look at all the through balls where people still have to run in the box to score, you saying that isn’t an assist still?. In the MLS they have 2 assist for the goal scorers so the person who passes to someone who gets the actual assist is also getting an assist which is going on there stats, that’s not an assist!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
This thread is pointless. An assist is when you score of a pass or a cross from someone else, it doesn’t matter how many touches you have, you can’t assist yourself. In the MLS they have 2 assist for the goal scorers so the person who passes to someone who gets the actual assist is also getting an assist which is going on there stats, that’s not an assist!
I can’t make out the player who passed it to RvN but does he get an assist?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse

the finish isn’t even in to the corner. should have been chalked off as a result imo.

If you play a pass as good as that one to Greenwood you should get an assist even if the attacker screws the shot up.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah I agree.

Fred goal is also not a goal, goal should be counted if the player takes at least 2 touches before scoring, like Bruno's first.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Btw before people gets triggered, this is a WUM thread.

dove

Exactly. Bruno's 2nd goal is also not a goal I think, you can't claim a goal if it didn't touch the net.

Malcusss

Agreed. Assists are actually the epitome of the wider problem of football being too collaborative and should be eliminated altogether.

It should be an every man for themselves trying to score in any of the two goals, like the all or nothing days on the playground. Football clubs should be replaced by football agents like Raiola who gain points and win championships by the amount of goals scored by their players.

Ofcourse, the powerful club lobby won't let this happen.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
You’re all being silly when I was making a genuine point.
So assuming you're being genuine, are you happy for a Brian McClair to get an assist for Beckham's halfway goal, even though all he did was a simple stabbed pass while intercepting the ball. Beckham takes no touch before shooting, so it counts as an assist.

But Pogba's beautifully weighted ball that split through Leeds' defence and created the chance for Greenwood is not?

That's one example. There are plenty of mishit, misplaced, lucky passes/bounces/touches that have resulted in goals. Why are they more deserving of counting as assists than well-timed, deliberate and well-executed passes just because the goalscorer ends up taking a touch?

Redlyn

Definitely. If a tap-in you knew nothing about rebounded off your backside and trickled into the net is your goal, that is an assist. Nothing to do with quality of it.

90 + 5min

You can’t claim an assist when the player you’ve passed it to takes several touches before scoring. An assist is an assist if the player scores immediately from the pass received (see Fred’s goal, Bruno’s third).

So did he get one, two, three or four? If he got one according to you, why do you say he got two?

You say Brunos third should count but not first, despite taking fewer touches for first, your whole point just fall apart.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Agreed. Assists are actually the epitome of the wider problem of football being too collaborative and should be eliminated altogether.

It should be an every man for themselves trying to score in any of the two goals, like the all or nothing days on the playground. Football clubs should be replaced by football agents like Raiola who gain points and win championships by the amount of goals scored by their players.

Ofcourse, the powerful club lobby won't let this happen.
:lol:

i was an avid supporter of raiola long before he made it big.

So assuming you're being genuine, are you happy for a Brian McClair to get an assist for Beckham's halfway goal, even though all he did was a simple stabbed pass while intercepting the ball. Beckham takes no touch before shooting, so it counts as an assist.

But Pogba's beautifully weighted ball that split through Leeds' defence and created the chance for Greenwood is not?

That's one example. There are plenty of mishit, misplaced, lucky passes/bounces/touches that have resulted in goals. Why are they more deserving of counting as assists than well-timed, deliberate and well-executed passes just because the goalscorer ends up taking a touch?
i get your general point but i think it was mcclair’s assist that made that goal. it was so good it allowed beckham to walk on to it without breaking stride, making the shot the easiest part.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

How is there always one that falls for it?

I mean, how?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The ball also hit the wind and turf. So no assist for Pogba.

SirAnderson

Last edited:

Red00012

I’ve woke up to 2 absolutely rubbish threads this morning and it’s only 9am

Status
Not open for further replies.