Pogba on the Right?

Kyonn

Anyone remember a game where Pogba played RW/RM? It would solve a lot problems if he did but I can't remember him playing there.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Rashford is quality on the right. Pogba isn't a winger but can do a left attacking mid role. Martial can be left wing with Rashford right and we use Cavani or Greenwood up top (best balance).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Starting wide but with license to rotate with others to go centrally certainly seems the best way to get him involved.
It is a much better option than a James/Lingard/Mata/out of form Greenwood out there.

Kyonn

Rashford is quality on the right. Pogba isn't a winger but can do a left attacking mid role. Martial can be left wing with Rashford right and we use Cavani or Greenwood up top (best balance).
Disagree about Rashford on the right, he's never the same there imo. Don't think Cavani can be counted on for a full season. He's a high quality back up at this point in his career. Nor does Greenwood seem ready for the role.

No Pogba isn't a winger but I'm hoping he can play on the right similar to how he played on the left against Villa.

Kyonn

Starting wide but with license to rotate with others to go centrally certainly seems the best way to get him involved.
It is a much better option than a James/Lingard/Mata/out of form Greenwood out there.
That's what I'm thinking but it's never happened from the right. It makes a lot of tactical sense but I can't recall it happening. Wondering why.

In Rainbows

Disagree about Rashford on the right, he's never the same there imo. Don't think Cavani can be counted on for a full season. He's a high quality back up at this point in his career. Nor does Greenwood seem ready for the role.

No Pogba isn't a winger but I'm hoping he can play on the right similar to how he played on the left against Villa.
Thing is, Rashford's main advantage of playing on the left is that he ran past players. He's not really doing that regardless so I don't see a negative with him playing on the right.

davidmichael

We need to stop trying to fit players into roles that they are far from their best or unnatural to them and play players in their best role, I don’t blame Ole for how unbalanced we are position wise as we’ve been ridiculously unbalanced since Moyes but Ole should be looking at signing a starting right sided attacker (Sancho) in the summer.

If Pogba is going to stay then it should be as either centre midfield or as a 10 so Fernandes can be rested at some point, if I’m honest though I’d rather we used VDB as back up to Fernandes and sold Pogba then used the fee we get for Pogba on a pure out and out defensive midfielder.

Kyonn

Thing is, Rashford's main advantage of playing on the left is that he ran past players. He's not really doing that regardless so I don't see a negative with him playing on the right.
On the right he can't cut in and shoot with his stronger foot and not a good crosser. Those 2 things lead to mediocre play from the right.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That's what I'm thinking but it's never happened from the right. It makes a lot of tactical sense but I can't recall it happening. Wondering why.
It's one of those strange modern things that all attackers seem to prefer the left rather than playing on their strong foot on the right.
Yes you can cut in but it makes any semblance of crossing more difficult.

As Pogba isn't really a crosser or a cut in merchant you'd think it'd work for him better than a Rashy.

Kyonn

It's one of those strange modern things that all attackers seem to prefer the left rather than playing on their strong foot on the right.
Yes you can cut in but it makes any semblance of crossing more difficult.

As Pogba isn't really a crosser or a cut in merchant you'd think it'd work for him better than a Rashy.
Exactly. So why hasn't it happened? Seems obvious but Ole hasn't tried it.

Crustanoid

Why haven't we been trying Telles as Striker or Cavani as RB? That's what I want to know - could solve a lot of problems

Walters_19_MuFc

The fact that Ole keeps changing one of our wingers tells me that he'll be pursuing Sancho again in the summer.

Maybe Pogba can play there for now (prefer him on the left) but going forward, im certain Ole wants quick, pacey, direct wingers.

I imagine we'll see Rashford and Sancho as our first choice wingers next season, with Greenwood, James and Martial as the back up. Maybe Diallo and Pellestri too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The fact that Ole keeps changing one of our wingers tells me that he'll be pursuing Sancho again in the summer.

Maybe Pogba can play there for now (prefer him on the left) but going forward, im certain Ole wants quick, pacey, direct wingers.

I imagine we'll see Rashford and Sancho as our first choice wingers next season, with Greenwood, James and Martial as the back up. Maybe Diallo and Pellestri too.
Martial still the main striker? Or do you think Cavani will take that role?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I really like Rashford on the right wing. But we could do Pogba on the RM. Just don't make him play as part of deep midfield and he'll be fine.

However, we should learn by now that Pogba can't be tied to specific position to perform well.

Chief123

Rashford is more suited to the right than Pogba is.

Walters_19_MuFc

Martial still the main striker? Or do you think Cavani will take that role?
Depends on form but I'm certain the season after next Ole will go in for a world class goalscorer.

Thing is, Martial is a very well rounded striker but jury is still out as to whether he can be that 20+ striker for us.

Dan_F

I said it in the match day thread last night. I don’t see why Pogba couldn’t start off more on the right, the first goal came from him being in that position anyway.

Rashford’s game is far more about beating a man and shooting, so it makes sense that he needs to play on the left.

They all rotate a lot anyway, so it shouldn’t matter too much.

Redlyn

Same role as he played vs villa. 4231 either on the left or on the right of the 3. That's our best team.

Mainoldo

Bruno and him switching would be a lot better like against Villa. On the right. No chance though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Depends on form but I'm certain the season after next Ole will go in for a world class goalscorer.

Thing is, Martial is a very well rounded striker but jury is still out as to whether he can be that 20+ striker for us.
The season after next?
I wouldn't say it's a given he'll definitely be here in over 18months! I hope he is as it'll have meant he's won something.

Kyonn

Why haven't we been trying Telles as Striker or Cavani as RB? That's what I want to know - could solve a lot of problems
Yes because switching Pogba from LM to RM is the same as playing Telles at CF

MalcolmTucker

Rashford's been pretty good on the right this season. Small sample size but he definitely looks more dangerous than when we've tried him there before.

Chief123

I would have thought it’s quite easy to see to be honest?

Rashford has dribbling and pace which allows him to go round the outside of a full back. He has a very good pass/cross on him. He’s got ability to come inside onto his left.

It’s harder to see what Pogba would offer on the right. He’s not going to take anyone on around the outside. He’s not someone who would cut in and shoot with his left. His right foot is his stronger foot and mor creative but it would be limited on the right as opposed to the left where he can come inside and find a pass from any angle.

Playing pogba on the right would make no sense in my opinion.

peridigm

Rashford is not quality on the right. He can play there but he's stronger on the left where he can cut inside. Jose played Pogba at RM several times when Fred was first signed. Apparently Fred is not as strong on the right. I've always heard Pogba prefers the left so and his appearances on the right did not impress that much.

If we're to the point we're moving Pogba around to find a place for him because there are better options at his preferred spot, it's time to move on. I don't think that's the case but OP is hinting at that. Square peg round hole analogy and all. Reminds me of signing Kagawa, a natural #10 when Rooney was already well in that role. Then we signed Mata, another #10 only to play him at RW the majority of the time. Don't get me wrong, players need to be versatile, and most are, but stocking up on specific positions and playing those players out of position instead of bringing in a player that is natural in that position is a waste of talent in my opinion.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Pogba initiated the goal vs Villa from the right side.

I remember Pogba beating Dier on the right wing to get a penalty last year vs Spurs.

Pogba could play on the right and I'm surprised Ole has not tried

...............Martial
Rashford....Bruno....Pogba
..........DM.........DM

Bruno and Pogba could interchange throughout the match. Of course, I would rather buy a true right winger.

TsuWave

Left wing fielder Pogba has always produced is best performances

redmanx

Pogba will be leaving this summer, he does not want to be at United. If Pogba keeps up his present form, fine, he deserves to play in any position Ole chooses for him but we shouldn't bend over backwards to accomodate him. Its a shame he didn't start to perform like he is now a couple of seasons ago, he might have made a really decent Manchester United player.

Walters_19_MuFc

The season after next?
I wouldn't say it's a given he'll definitely be here in over 18months! I hope he is as it'll have meant he's won something.
Yes. With Cavani here next season, I can imagine he, Martial and Greenwood can share the striker role.

When Cavani leaves, most likely at the end of next season, Ole will possibly look to bring in a striker.

That being said, Greenwood has huge potential and could be the 20+ goal striker I am talking about.

As for Martial not being here, he's incredibly talented. Even if he's not first choice striker, i'd certainly have him as a squad player, where he can fill in at left wing and centre forward.

OverratedOpinion

I get the feeling that Pogba would be at his best in a free role. Unfortunately that would probably mean we couldn't give Bruno much freedom and Bruno is much better than him.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Pretty sure France tried him on the right a couple of times in their World Cup win and he did ok but he wasn't particularly effective. He's lost some pace since then so I can't see it being a massive success but who knows.

united for life

you can do that if the RB is offensively good. Wan-Bissaka is not known for his offensive attributes.

also, i don’t think Pogba will be better than Greenwood or even Mata there. For starters, he is not a winger. Also, he usually prefers to play on the left side of the pitch. Even in a 3 man midfield, he usually plays on the left.

i don’t think this is a solution for us.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Disagree, Rashford is best on the left because he can cut inside and finish with his strongest foot

Rashford when he plays the wide role is really more of a wide forward than a winger. Greenwood being so two footed can play both sides

Dante

Average bang
If Rashford and Pogba are the only choices on the wings, then Rasford left and Pogba right makes more sense than the opposite.

When Rashford played from the right during the Villa game, we saw him repeatedly cut in on his left foot and firing piss weak shots at Martinez. He even put in a Bebe cross at one point. He's a noticeably weaker player on that side of the pitch.

Meanwhile, Pogba is probably the second best crosser in the team after Telles. He's been playing at RCM for the last two seasons and proven he can been good at spreading the play from the right (albeit deeper). He easily has the quality to be productive in the same way higher up that side of the pitch. The only reason to put him on the left wing is to give him opportunities to shoot on goal with his right foot. But Rashford is better at shooting with his right foot anyway, so it's swings and roundabouts. The point is that Pogba is going to be less limited compared to Rashford when they're asked to play from one flank or the other.

To put it simply, Rashford on the left is 9 out 10, Pogba on the right is 7 out of 10. Rashford on the right is 7 out of 10, Pogba on the left is 8 out of 10. And since goals win matches, the suggestion in the OP makes sense for the team overall.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I used to be frustrated with Rashford on the right wing but I think he has improved this season - so I can see why some think he is good at it and some think he isnt.

The good RW performances have mostly come from sub performances or tactical changes- if he has good performances from the start of the game he will convince people more.