Pogba or Grealish? Varane or Camavinga? Dalot or Trippier?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Lets be honest, we will not sign every player. If we say that Sancho deal is 99% done, we can sign 2 more max (one expensive and one for small fee) or 3 (if we sell Pogba).
So what would be your choice?

I would keep Pogba (despite Grealish is :drool: :drool: ). Varane over Camavinga (who cost the same) because Varane is world class defender. And i would keep Dalot.

Idxomer

We aren't signing Grealish in any case.

A defensive midfielder and a center-back are needed because Lindelof and McTominay have to be upgraded.

Camavinga isn't the answer for midfield because Ole won't trust a teenager for that position in the PL.

Raw

Grealish will be about as expensive as Sancho, maybe more. No chance of it happening as much as I'd like it.

Varane and Camavinga would be an excellent window. Or literally any decent defensive mid. That and Garner will bolster our midfield options significantly.

A-man

So many 0-0 games last season, we. We need better attack.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I know that we are not signing Grealish. But if we sell Pogba then maybe we would go for him. Maybe...
But for thread sake lets say that it is Pogba or Grealish :wenger:

scottydoesntknow

Even though they are not like for like I would take Grealish over Pogba any day! in fact if we could get rid of Pogba for £50m-£60m and put an extra £30m-£50m to get Jack I think we should do it. Then maybe look at offloading Martial to fund a new DM/CB.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If we're replacing Pogba it will be with an actual central midfielder, not Grealish. The Grealish ship has sailed.

Idxomer

By the way, I think Trippier is an average footballer.

AWB is much better and also has more quality on the ball.

TMS

Other than Trippier or Dalot why make a choice?

Sancho - 80m
Varane - 50m
Camavinga - 40m

Total - 170m

Lingard - 20m
Andreas Pereira - 5m
Chong - 2m
Matic - 2m
DDG (Loan Fee) - 5m

Total - 34m (29 without DDG loan)

Don't think any of those fees are unreasonable and it'd leave us with a £136m net spend when we supposedly have a £150m war chest for this summer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ideally for me (and somewhat realistic in terms of names and a random guess at prices players could fetch)...
In:
  • Heaton - free
  • Sancho - 75m
  • Varane - 45m
  • Camavinga - 45m
  • Trippier - 20m
  • Ronaldo - 50m
Total - 235m
Out:
  • Pogba - 60m
  • Martial - 40m
  • Lingard - 25m
  • Pereira - 10m
  • De Gea - 15m
  • Tuanzebe - 15m
  • Jones - anything
  • Dalot - 15m
  • Chong - 5m
  • Mata - release
  • Romero - release
  • Joel Pereira - release
  • Grant - release
  • Williams - loan
  • Pellistri - loan
  • Laird - loan
  • Garner - loan
  • Mengi - loan
  • Elanga - loan
Total - 185m
Net - 50m
Henderson
Wan Bissaka Varane Maguire Shaw
McTominay Fred
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Ronaldo

Heaton
Trippier Bailly Lindelof Telles
Matic Camavinga
Greenwood Van de Beek James
Cavani
Amad, Hannibal as part of the squad in the attack but fringe members. Some quality depth players who can be first subs in, and then decent enough depth for the next guys up so we aren't thread bare. Enough for competition and rotation, and enough quality to compete for trophies with the experience all around.

Neither Grealish nor Pogba are what we need. We're signing Sancho so if we still look at attack, it has to be something with our striker position and some players will have to go anyway (Martial). Ideally we need 2 new midfielders and I'd be ok with getting rid of both VdB and Pogba, but just the 1 is fine for now.

Last edited:

red_de_pologne

Out:
  • Pogba - stays / free next year
  • Martial - stays
  • Lingard - new contract
  • Pereira - loan
  • De Gea - stays
  • Tuanzebe - 7 m
  • Jones - stays
  • Dalot - stays
  • Chong - 5 m
  • Mata - new contract
  • Romero - release
  • Joel Pereira - release
  • Grant - release
  • Williams - loan
  • Pellistri - loan
  • Laird - loan
  • Garner - loan
  • Mengi - loan
  • Elanga - loan
Total: 12 million
I've corrected the outgoings so they're more realistic.

Pavl3n

I've corrected the outgoings so they're more realistic.
That's 170 difference :D

Why do we have to choose betwen Varane and Camavinga. It should be between Varane and Pau Torres or Camavinga and Pogba or Grealish and DVB or Bruno.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Out : Pogba, Martial, Jones, Lingard
In : Sancho, Grealish, Camavinga, Varane, Ronaldo, Lewandowski, Arturo Vidal

BIGbadBOO4

Who in their right mind would pay 50 million for Ronaldo? His wages are obscene, I would only think about it if he was on a free.

Pavl3n

Out : Pogba, Martial, Jones, Lingard
In : Sancho, Grealish, Camavinga, Varane, Ronaldo, Lewandowski, Arturo Vidal
I was just about to say "And we're still stuck with McFred in midfield". But bringing the mohawk would definitely solidify that area.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Sancho is done as you say. If we can get Varane, we absolutely should. Those two alone adds so much to the first 11.

RB could be a conundrum. Trippier would be a decent signing for our reported offer price, but if Atleti will not drop the asking price for Tripps we shouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. Dalot is a decent RB but I’m not sure he pushes AWB the way he needs or he would have done it last season too. I’m not sure either are the answer really.

I really thought Pogba would sign up and continue given the end to the season he had, and Camavinga would be a prospect signing but if Paul does leave then is Camavinga the right signing to replace him? Will Donny step into Paul’s shoes adequately. I hope he has a stocking season and cements a starting spot but I’m not sure, we haven’t seen him enough to judge.

Polar

Sancho - 80m
Pau Torres - 40m
Camavinga - 40m

Trippier - ok if £15m. Shouldn’t spend >20m on a LB backup.

Grealish: Wouldn’t happen

jesperjaap

As someone already has said, I think the Grealish ship has sailed sadly, we messed that up last season.

Romagnoli
Camavinga
Sancho

Thats our net spend, though dont see concrete interest in Romagnoli, so Romero would be my next choice, my gut instinct just doesnt want Varane and a definate no for Kounde or Torres for me.

I think the potential deadwood sales dont massively boost our kitty, just bring down the net spend, so any other buys are dependant on bigger sales. Our keepers, Matic and Martial all stay for me for one more season....but I would sell Pogba and VDB and use that money for another central midfielder and possibly another potential wonderkid if possible, no second right back is needed for me

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
By the way, I think Trippier is an average footballer.

AWB is much better and also has more quality on the ball.
You what?

Couldn’t be further from the truth.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
At best, we might go similar summer windows as 19/20 which we would get 1 mega fee signing (70m-80m) (Maguire/Sancho), 1 expensive fee signing (40m-55m) (Bissaka/Varane/CB), 1 mid price or may be budget signing (15m-30m) (James/Camavinga).

And selling our big player like Lukaku/Pogba would allow us to sign another player in similar fee like Bruno or new midfielder.

I think a backup right back will be signed using the money that we can get from Dalot. If Dalot stays then probably no new right back.

reddevilz007

If we sell Pogba, Martial and Lingard, it would be enough to get Grealish. Throw in Tuanzebe on loan to Villa

Besides, Pogba is a left winger for us as he cant even play in our double pivot system. And I would rather have Grealish as LW than Pogba any day.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
You what?

Couldn’t be further from the truth.
When it was mooted that Trippier was an option some time back, the Caf went a bit ballistic, but now he’s what? The second coming of Cafu?

Matthew84!

I would rather drag my balls over sandpaper than let Pogba leave for free next year, so if he wants out, sell him now, reinvest in someone who fits the team better.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
When it was mooted that Trippier was an option some time back, the Caf went a bit ballistic, but now he’s what? The second coming of Cafu?
Ahh classic caf hyperbole.

Couldn’t be technically better than AWB without being Cafu. Apparently.

el3mel

Pogba has bigger talent but Grealish might probably be a better functional player. Grealish will go to City or stay at Villa. Don't think we'll be into this.

Don't know anything about Camavinga but I'm honestly not very enthusiastic about Varane to be totally honest.

Dalot is terrible. Trippier any day, every day.

A-man

We also conceded 44 goals so we need a better defence too.
In my opinion looking at a total over the whole season is not the best way to evaluate the defence.

11 goals conceded in the first 3 matchens before we got our stuff together.

8 goals in our last 4 matches after we had secured top-4.

Between that we had a good stretch of 31 matches with 25 conceded goals, including matches against all top teams. That’s the level of our defence.

AgentP

Offer Pogba a new contract. If he doesn't want to sign, sell him to the highest bidder this season. We don't need to get a Pogba replacement. Instead we should get a top quality box to box midfielder or CDM who can play alongside Fred or McT. If we get Varane too, then we will have a solid team on our hands with good depth all round.

Cavani/Greenwood
Rashford/Martial ----- Bruno/VDB -------Sancho/James
New CM/Matic----- Fred/McT
Shaw/Telles ----- Maguire/Bailly ----- Varane/Lindelof ----- AWB/Dalot
Henderson/DDG​

Threesus

Man, I would love if we get Goku from Lyon for the midfield. That guy is amazing.

House Mkhitaryan

Sign Varane and try to get Ndidi or similar type player.

Rashford (James/Lingard) Cavani (Martial) Sancho (Greenwood)
Pogba (Fred) Bruno (Van de Beek)
Ndidi (McTominay)
Shaw (Telles) Maguire (Lindelof) Varane (Bailly) Wan-Bissaka (Dalot)
Henderson (De Gea)​